ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

ScottR    1,355

Over the last few years, I've been exploring the craft brews that are sooooo much better than the old American stand bys we grew up with. No wonder the Europeans made fun of our weak bland beer.....but we had so few options back then.

Not so now. Earlier this year Maul got me on a search for Pliny the Elder. I have not found it yet. It does not come to Texas. It does come to Colorado, and I conducted a search in Crested Butte while I was there. It turns out only one place there gets it from time to time and it goes fast. They told me the keg ran dry two days before I got there. :(

I did learn that there are many great brews out there waiting to be tried.....there are over 2000 craft brewers in the states now. So happily I am trying all that look appealing. I thought those of us that appreciate this sort of thing could post up the stuff we run across to share with the others. Maybe I've tried something you saw but hadn't checked out yet and pass on my thoughts if so asked....and vice versa.

So here's the first few that I've collected:

Stone IPA

IMG_3749_zpsb1dd88bb.jpg

Stone Ruination IPA

IMG_3752_zps03b9c40b.jpg

Odells IPA--one of my favorites!

IMG_3748_zpsce6e7657.jpg

Lagunitas IPA

IMG_3744_zpsc896f87f.jpg

SR

• Like 2

ScottR    1,355

Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale

IMG_3737_zps55dc034f.jpg

Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Black IPA

IMG_3739_zpscaa37f72.jpg

Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA

IMG_3741_zps0a5ef84c.jpg

So what are the rest of you hopheads sipping on?

SR

• Like 1

Workingman    44

Just about anything from Stone is going to be good. In my fridge I just have some Brooklyn East India Pale Ale. They have been in the craft brew game since the 80's. There is a very small craft brewer a few blocks from me but they are closed today or else I would be drinking Rockaway Brewing Company ESB. Tomorrow we are heading to Vermont where my friend Ray McNeil makes some awesome brews. Maybe aftert the summer we could set up a Project Guitar Beer Exchange.

• Like 1

ScottR    1,355
Maybe aftert the summer we could set up a Project Guitar Beer Exchange.

If we could figure out a way to do that it would be awesome!

What's an ESB?

SR

curtisa    465

Sadly nothing in the fridge at the moment to take photos of.

Don't know how many Australian beers make it beyond our borders (ignoring Fosters or XXXX...meh), but ones I really enjoy at the moment are Little Creatures pale ale, James Squire Stowaway IPA, Fat Yak pale ale, Moo Brew pale ale...tend to be on the sweeter/fruitier side of things which goes well with a meal.

Picked up a taste for UK ales while on holiday last year in the British Isles - Hobgoblin, Black Sheep, Robinsons Brewery etc. Managed to find a couple of importers of them once I got home, but bottles travelling halfway around the world just don't taste the same as on tap. Also enjoyed the Murphys Irish Stout (or three...or four) I tried while at a small pub in Cork, Ireland, but can't find a local stockist to relive the moment.

ScottR    1,355

That is sad. The only Aussie beer I've gotten over here other than Fosters....meh, was a James Boags....I know longer remember which but it was probably the premium lager. It has been quite a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being crisp, clean, and tasty--for a lager, which I rarely ever have anymore. Actually that's not true. I'll have lagers during the day when I'm doing yard work, when a lighter beer is refreshing. The IPAs are more for enjoying slowly later in the day/evening.

These last few catch me up for the moment.

Founders Centennial IPA

IMG_3755_zps38d3dca1.jpg

Lagunitas Maximus double IPA - This was a new one for me and it went way up high on the list--very good!

IMG_3758_zps171c978a.jpg

Green Flash double IPA--Supposedly they recently tweeked the recipe and started calling this a double--also really good.

IMG_3760_zps8962c82e.jpg

SR

curtisa    465
That is sad. The only Aussie beer I've gotten over here other than Fosters....meh, was a James Boags....I know longer remember which but it was probably the premium lager. It has been quite a while since I've seen it, but I remember it being crisp, clean, and tasty--for a lager, which I rarely ever have anymore. Actually that's not true. I'll have lagers during the day when I'm doing yard work, when a lighter beer is refreshing. The IPAs are more for enjoying slowly later in the day/evening.

Boags is actually brewed in the north of my home state. Generally Tasmania is divided into two demographics - those in the north who drink James Boags, and those in the south who drink Cascade :) . In truth there's not a whole lot of difference between the two, but given the choice I'd probably break from, uh...."tradition"...and reach for a Boags Premium.

Workingman    44

Maybe aftert the summer we could set up a Project Guitar Beer Exchange.

If we could figure out a way to do that it would be awesome!

What's an ESB?

SR

An ESB is an extra special bitters. Back in the day IPA's were only bottled as they were inteded for trade to India.. The draught versions of pale ales were bitters. A brewer would have an ordinary bitters, a special bitters and sometimes an extra special bitters. They went up in alcohol content and sometimes maltyness as you went along. An ESB was essentialy an IPA on tap. Now people put IPA's on tap, ESB's in bottles and it is almost ipossible to find an ordinary bitters. Back in the 80's I was lucky enough to taste the full range of cask conditioned Fullers in England.

ScottR    1,355
Boags is actually brewed in the north of my home state.

I do remember that it was brewed in Tasmania.....on the river Esk, if I remember correctly. They always made it sound like that river was worth visiting. The premium was one of my very favorites for a while there....till they stopped carrying it.

An ESB was essentialy an IPA on tap.

I always wondered what the English were going on about with all their different bitters. And, once I got into IPAs I noted how proud they were of thier IBUs, I wondered if there might be some common ground there. Thanks for the explanation.

SR

Muzz    99

Wow, lots of new beers to add to my must try list. Scott, the pic I posted on the misc thread was Lucky beer from China, in a buddha shaped bottle so you can rub his belly for luck. It's a nice crisp beer good for a sunny afternoon. Had some of these Atomic beers on the weekend, very bitter in a good way.

2dc9xs9.jpg

ScottR    1,355

Oddly enough, I found that same Lucky beer in my favorite shop just a couple days after you posted it. I resisted the temptation to check it out though, thanks for the feedback on it.

SR

curtisa    465

Here's something I found the other day which I'm enjoying at the moment:

20140712_162640_LLS_zps464ae70c.jpg

Sleeping Giant IPA by Gage Roads Brewery in Western Australia, freshly liberated from my fridge.

ScottR    1,355

I looked that up. It sounds quite tasty Andrew.

I tried some others over the past couple of weeks.

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. I'm really liking this brewery!

IMG_0001_zps439580f6.jpg

Southern Tier 2XIPA

IMG_0005_zps2e8bb699.jpg

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA

IMG_0004_zps8808f3e7.jpg

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

IMG_0008_zps4f865e40.jpg

SR

westhemann    295

I am going to have to revisit my beer drinking.Last time I did a few months steady drinking I got to like the really good stouts,but that last 4 pack I got was a bit less enjoyable.Maybe I should go back to the Deschuttes Obsidian Ale or maybe just finally spring for a keg and get my kegerator going with some good Fat Tire or maybe some of that 512 Pecan Porter I have been wanting to try.

ScottR    1,355

Trying new stuff is always fun, if occasionally disappointing. It's a good way to find new favorites when you get tired of experimenting.

SR

ScottR    1,355

I liked it alright. It's not on par with the West Coast IPA, but then very few are. I found it to be quite drinkable. Now that I've tried it, I'll probably never buy it again.......it's good for a red beer and I like red beer well enough, but I like IPAs much better.

SR

Workingman    44

I had the Green Flash at our local rib joint last week. Nice beer. The red in most red beers comes from crystal malt which leaves some residual sugar. Otherwise they tend to be brewed like IPA's.