Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

I got a wonderful little care package from the north of the country last week that consisted of four Minnesota brews. First I tried this Hop Forest from Bent Paddle Brewery. It was a very tasty DIPA that had plenty of pine notes and maybe even some cypress. It definitely tasted green.

IMG_1898_zpskq4dpry2.jpg

Then I tried Todd the Axe Man from Surly Brewing Co. It was flipping outstanding!

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/138735/

IMG_1900_zpsrhy6zsvn.jpg

The next day was Sweet Child of Vine from Fulton Brewery, and I found it to be a very tasty IPA as well.

IMG_1903_zpsbcjzir78.jpg

Next up was Furious Beer from Surly again. Awesome stuff. Pretty much Todd The Axe Man with Scottish malt.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/28203/

IMG_1906_zpsuj7qyrz6.jpg

Thanks a ton Jerry!

SR

• Like 1

No problem.  If you have anything you want to try and is not available in you area just let me know and I will see if I can find it here.  Glad you enjoyed them.  I had a couple Todd's myself this weekend.

Man, I'm pretty sure I'd have a couple Todd's every weekend if it was available down here. That went way up high on my list.

SR

I shared the last can of Todd's with a buddy who's got two batches of home brew under his belt. He was Blown. Away. and immediately set about researching it so his next batch would be an attempt at recreating this delicious elixir. He claimed it was the best beer he had tasted ever. Second best for me, but it's not far behind Pliny. We have nothing available in Houston that approaches Todd. I wonder how far out they distribute it? All I could get from the website was there was nothing within a 150 miles of me.

SR

Last I heard they were distributing only to MN, Northern Iowa, and Chicago specifically.  The operation is growing but they just opened an enormous "destination brewery" here that I am sure cost quite a bit.

Well maybe they'll have to expand their sales to help pay for it. We tried plugging some zip codes into the finder on their website and got hits in Chicago, Des Moines, and some town in Nebraska.....Omaha maybe. that pretty much mirrors what you've heard. It looks like it's limited to one state away so far. All part of the joys of loving what comes out of craft breweries.

SR

I've heard great things about Surly's beers, but due to their distribution haven't tried them yet. My sister in law's family is from Chicago, she usually brings me back 3 Floyds stuff, but I'll have to get her to bring back some Surly brews next times she visits home.

We had the Rocket City Brewfest the weekend before last. It was great. I've gone most years they've had it, but this was the best yet. 

I highly recommend the two surly brews I tried....don't let her forget to bring you some back.

Damn, the list of beers at your brewfest was long enough! some great stuff there, but sooo many more to try. I wonder how long it would take to try (and survive) everything on that list that sounded good. It might take a couple of calendars to mark that time.

SR

I'm a cheap date, I've always got my fridge stocked up with coors light lol. 

image.jpeg

I still keep some light beer in the fridge for weekend days, it's good lawnmower fuel......or should I say good mower of the lawn fuel. Slamming down IPAs whilst doing hot sweaty work is a good way to miss the sunset. One the other hand they are perfect for enjoying a nice sunset.

SR

i see all the rage about ipa's I really need to get with the times and try some of them out. 

If you become a hop head, and it's easy to do once you get started, it's hard to be satisfied with anything else.

SR

I've been trying to assemble a collection of Texas brews that don't suck to send north. As big as this place is, I have only run across a few that I feel may be worthy.....and one that is very worthy, but my local bottle store is out. Any, I figured I have not tried them all, maybe they're not all bad, maybe, just maybe I've just been catching the bad ones first. So I tried some new ones.

IMG_1926_zpszds5bfci.jpg

Nope!

IMG_1929_zps605pf10t.jpg

This was better, but not great. there seemed to be a lot of grass in the hops....

This is a new offering from Firestone Walker, Luponic Distortion and is excellent, but not from Texas.

IMG_1939_zpsq4wxkxra.jpg

A buddy of mine scored some of the legendary Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA and brought some over to share.

IMG_1944_zpsobqiqtf5.jpg

The bottle doesn't list ABV or IBUs, but the website puts this season's batch at 20% ABV. It was pretty much undrinkable in our opinion. It was more like drinking brandy....which is okay if you wanted brandy.....but brandy is not good beer.

Then I shared another new Texas offering, a SMaSH. (single malt, single hop).

IMG_1945_zpstadunyuk.jpg

Nope.

We actually poured out $25 worth of beer getting through that particular taste test before going to stuff that we knew we liked. I will say it tasted extra good after that lot.

SR

Firestone makes great beer. We moved on to Green Flash and had a very fine evening of Bocce Ball and ending with smoked brisket, potato salad and deviled eggs. We were prepared to move past the tasting!

SR