Voting for May 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - VOTE HERE!

ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

Sadly, no. It seemed too perfect to be true though. Perfect in length and less than 1/8" intonation adjustment in width.

Like you know, my tipple of choice is Ardbeg 10yo as a standard. Winter's up so we're in whisky mode. No beers till the sun comes back up. Took delivery of four bottles of Johnnie Walker Black, three Ardbeg 10yo and a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan yesterday. That should just about see us though the festive week anyway.

Elaysian Space Dust IPA- when I can get it- I do- and I like it-this along with Tropicalia and Jai Alai are my top 3-still on the hunt for something to fill my #4 slot

012_1.jpg

Hi-5 IPA from Terrapin- a nice change of pace

011_1.jpg

Shakedown Street from Southbound Brewery out of Savannah Ga. This is a sour Saison- and while I am not really into sour anything-you could tell  this was a well crafted beer- my daughter digs these- I just cant drink more than a couple sours before I feel a bit pukey.

004_1.jpg

Westbrook IPA out of Mount Pleasant, South carolina- I liked this at first- but the hops are different- and have a sort of metallic aftertaste. I may have to give this another shake with a fresher batch. This was two months old- and that is approaching the danger zone.

005_2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

Shakedown Street from Southbound Brewery out of Savannah Ga. This is a sour Saison- and while I am not really into sour anything-you could tell  this was a well crafted beer- my daughter digs these- I just cant drink more than a couple sours before I feel a bit pukey.

My son likes sours and saisons, and lambics...... and I feel the same way you do about them. 

However I tried the Aunt Sally from Lagunitas  and find it refreshing. It is very hoppy with just a bit of a sour finish, kind of like a sweettart.

SR

the last of my 2016 Hoptimum from Sierra Nevada- sadly- these are past its prime- the hops are fading and the malt and alcohol is upfront and insanely strong.sadly I had raged about these to my bro who i havent seen in 8 years and was visiting from Germany- but- we drank them all the same :-)

006_1.jpg

Freak of Nature by Wicked Wheel- a nice double IPA

007.jpg

hop stoopid from Lagunitas- very nice

008_1.jpg

West Coast IPA from Green Flash- yummy

005_1.jpg

• Like 1

Hop Dang Diggity from Jekyll brewing out of Alphretta GA- a "southern" IPA- different and a nice change of pace

001_1.jpg

Ezekiel's wheel from Burnt Hickory Brewing out of Kennesaw GA- I really like this- so much it might be a real contender for my #4 spot. 

008_2.jpg

Old Wooden Head from Burnt Hickory Brewing. Sadly this was past its prime- I have learned that with Double IPAs and Imperial IPAs- you really have to drink them within 30-40 days of brewing or they change and they change quicker it seems than regular IPAs- maybe its the higher alcohol- I dunno - just observations and (wasted money ). I will try this again but only if fresh.

009_1.jpg

my bro brought some brews from Europe for me to try out. sadly- I didnt think much of them but its always nice to try something new. He was glad to hear that Stone brewing opened a plant in Germany, but he has yet to find anything by him (NW corner of Germany). The day he landed I handed him a Jai Alai IPA and his moon sun and stars were in alignment. I tried these after he left as we had many IPA/DIPA/APA to try while he was here. 

First up was Veltins Pilsner(no pic- sorry) and Moritz Feige Pilsner

001_2.jpg

I'm very difficult to impress as well. In addition to a beer needing to have character and quality, it needs to trigger a certain nostalgia or relaxation sensory thing. CCCCC IPA is a good hit on that score, and Spitfire also. We have a couple of Spitfire Golds in the fridge which I'm 50/50 on....who knows? That and a couple of cans of Hobgoblin. I've not had that for several years since moving from the UK, so let's see what that has to say. Sometimes even a very standard mass-manufactured beer can trigger something nostalgic, and often that is all which matters.

Carl- I am a total beer snob. If I dont like- I dont like it- and it gets dumped down the drain sometimes. I dont like to waste- but if something taste like arse- then- I am done with it. I hope to someday get my hands on this CCCCC you keep raving about. maybe one day- along with Pliny and Heady and Todd and some others I will need to travel for. I am pretty much into IPAs, with an occassional stout thrown in, an occassional lager or pilsner, and about the only hard liquor I drink anymore is rum and that is only in the summer, I used to drink whiskey, vodka, gin, etc when I was younger- but in all honesty- whiskey affects me in a rather negative way- it took me years to realize it- but in all honesty- I am a prick when I am buzzed on whiskey- I mean-I can be a real assh*le and I am not into bringing that energy around anyone including myself so I dont indulge anymore. I also cant drink red wines as I get a migraine headache each time. Apparently a certain (small) percent of the human population share that with me- so- I guess I am not alone but part of the defective group. :-)

next up- Staropramen- this one wasnt too bad- but there is something in European beers- maybe the yeast- there is a funkiness in the aftertaste that I just dont dig. I think most american big beers are crap too- so- what do I know- 

002_1.jpg

The REAL budweiser. Better than the american stuff that is for sure. This was probably the best of the lot but still- not my cup of tea. 

003_1.jpg

Saaz-hopped ales and Pilsners are great. The Spitfire Gold was Saaz, Challenger and (I think) Colombus. Really refreshing and hit the spot. One of those beers that goes down better, quicker. Maximum satisfaction, or a gourmand's treat. No wonder lagers are renowned for producing louts.

Hobgoblin? Yeah, it was Hobgoblin all right. Finished off the lot with a dram of Old Pulteney 12yo. Nothing special to say about that either really. I'm a peat and smokehead. The glass smelled nice once free of the alcohol though. Shame it didn't bring much to the table when the glass wasn't empty....

Epicurious from Creature Comforts. I was gifted this- and well- it sort of tastes just like the European pilsners. Sort of a grassy, yeasty finish. It doesnt say what kind of beer it is on the can, so, I looked it up on their website and they have it listed as - get this- "beer". Beeradvocate has it as a Blonde Ale- which I disagree with- its more pilsner than anything. -its different. 

001_3.jpg

Pernicious by Wicked weed out of asheville NC- this stuff is excellent- reminds me a lot of Jai Alai but the price is a bit much ($11 4pack)

004_4.jpg

Krunkles down under by Terrapin out of Athens GA- this is pretty good- different flavor profile- New Zealand and Australian Hops- which I am not sure I have ever (knowingly anyway) have had. (m&m cookie by the wifey)

004_2.jpg

Life, Death, Life, Truth from Orpheus out of Atlanta. I am still making my mind up what I think of this one. First impression was "meh"

006_2.jpg

I brought some goodies back from my holiday sojourn. First from Urban Chestnut in St. Louis, Fantasyland midwest coast ipa. Hoppy, malty, very drinkable, but not top tier.

IMG_2721_zps0usxbo1t.jpg

Then a buddy handed me this. Alpine beer company in CA, Pure hoppyness. Damn fine stuff, this one.

IMG_2725_zpsnjueo31u.jpg

Burnt City from Chicago, Face Melter hibiscus ipa. This did not get good reviews, and I have no clue what the hibiscus ipa means, but I thought it was quite tasty. Reminded my of Dankosaurus.

IMG_2727_zps5evqhf21.jpg

White River Gravel Bar IPA out of Springfield MO. Decent. Not top tier--not bad at all.

IMG_2766_zpsz9icozdr.jpg

And from Boulevard in Kansas City, Heavy Lifting ipa. Very good stuff,  just below top tier.

IMG_2780_zpsqooyimto.jpg

SR

13 hours ago, westhemann said:

Founder's Imperial 10.5 stout...aged about a year.

Fine,fine beer

I'm going to try that! I was looking at their breakfast stout the other day. Have you tried that?

SR

I have not.I bought this on a whim last year sometime at the end of a beer drinking phase.This time I was just out of the hard stuff,so I popped one of these out.

Really good right out of the bottle.I took a drink and didn't  even bother with the glass.Some beers are just designed for the bottle they are in I think.

I think you are right. Some beers improve if they can breath a bit by being poured into a glass, and some seem to be made for tipping right out of the bottle.

Those are particularly good, I've found, when don't actually have any glasses on hand.

SR

Not being a beer drinker. I have no clue what y'all discuss LMAO!!!

Scotch, well that's different. Speaking of which. I was in Austin back at Thanksgiving. I was served a bar scotch that was called Monkey Shoulder. Man that was the nastiest crap I have ever tasted. Had a sweet caramel front end,  harsh smoke/peat flavor with a citrus after taste. OOOWEE was it nasty. LOL!!

mk.

Scotch would be an excellent topic of discussion to add to the beer.

Something called Monkey Shoulder is almost begging you to discover how bad it tastes.

SR

• Like 1

@Prostheta- lookey what I found

005_4.jpg

so- I am confused about ESB (Extra Special Bitters) which Beeradvocate classifies this as) and the label which says English Ruby Beer. I get no bitter from this (or hop) at all. Its good-  but to me anyway it tastes like a sweeter less smokey brown ale. Is BA wrong in its classification? or is this just an outlyer in the world of ESB? or maybe I am expecting ESB to be the english equivalent of IPA which is a wrong assumption. 

I found a new place in Flowery Branch, Georgia with - drumroll- 48 or so full beer refrigerators -domestic crap beer and wine in the first 10 or so, the next 12 are imported beers, and the rest are craft. OMG. its like homedepot in there , I can walk around looking at everything for hours. 

@westhemann- I have been on the look out for that Founders you mention- cant find it anywhere- but have you had this? Weyerbacher Sunday morning stout.excellent stuff- my only complaint is at 12.7% its a little bit sharp on the nose and palate- but the taste is righteous-I think this would be perfect (for me anyway)- if ABV was a point or two lower. YMMV

006_3.jpg

there is  restaurant called Taco Mac and I like that they have a gazillion brews and switch out some every week. i usually gets nooners so I can try a bunch in a sitting. from left to right

breckenridge ophelia (pale ale/wheat ale combo- 6%- ) (the wife said she liked this-rare event us liking the same brew)

alpine hoppy birthday-excellent (IPA- 5.2%)

elaysian split shot stout- very good (stout- 5.6%)

southern tier 2x maple -meh-its ok- IPA 

20170204_165337.jpg

I think classifications are a poor idea, considering that there are many which fall in more than one category. Getting really technical about which-is and which-is-not seems a bit too navel-gazey for my liking.

A bitter is not necessarily that bitter in comparison to modern high IBU beers. Traditional British bitter is just not sweet, with the IBUs being little higher than as not. IPA is an English thing anyway, since India Pale Ales were hopped strongly and made to higher ABV than other beers so that they survived the long journeys around Africa to the subcontinent.

I don't know about classification, and don't care too much "after the fact". They're useful in guiding one towards a beer, but hell, still not that good.

We had a Hobgoblin each the other week to remind ourselves what it tastes like, as we were disappointed. Simple slightly medium-dry bitter toffee. Spitfire is better in our opinion. Your description is right, however I don't know about ESBs, BAs, etc. We have our own classification system roughly based around "yes....no". :lol:

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

We have our own classification system roughly based around "yes....no". :lol:

That is the one that matters most, after all.

SR

There are degrees of yes and no, however that is simply down to emphasis. "Urrrrrghhh...nooooo..." being an example. "Fuck yeah" being another. Saaz hopped light crisp beers do that a lot, as does CCCCC IPA.