ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

maull    35

I just ran across this thread. I had to take the last 4 weeks off from brewing due to vacations and other miscellaneous distractions. I just entered two beers into the Minnesota State Fair Homebrew contest yesterday and am hoping to brew a 15 gallon batch this coming weekend. Beers entered are a simcoe hopped IPA we lovingly call "Sharted" and a full bodied Orange blossom Honey Weiss. I do not have any current photos but will snap a few this coming weekend.

p.s. Sorry for sending you on the Pliny the Elder wild goose chase Scott. I would send you a bottle if I could get my hands on any more. Perhaps we need to plead to any PG members in California to help us out.

ScottR    1,366

I figured you'd stumble across this sooner or later. :P As far as the wild goose chase.....it's always the pursuit that's the most fun part of the hunt. I've found some really good stuff along the way including an Emperial called Elevation when I was in Crested Butte. I'm not sure exactly what that was......I think I've got it narrowed down to one of two Colorado breweries. And Russian River distributes in Colorado.....and my son lives there....so hope still lives. :D

Good luck in the State Fair. Didn't you tell me that your IPA has placed in that in the past?

SR

maull    35

We placed second at the Minnesota Brewers Guild winter competition with our IPA several years ago. We have gotten much better and more consistent in our brewing since then. I am curious to see how this turns out. If nothing else, it is cool to see the judges scoring sheets and comments. They will go a long way towards perfecting our brewing process. Thanks for the well wishes.

Workingman    44

Back when I brewed I won a local compitition with the second beer I had ever made. I think it still was one of the best. I keep on being tempted to start brewing again but having downsized from a four bedroom house with a garage to a one bedroom apartment kind of complicates things.

ScottR    1,366

The only new thing I've tried lately was a bottle of Full Sail IPA. It wasn't worth a picture. Drinkable enough, but not memorable.

SR

curtisa    468

Experimenting at the bottle shop again:

20140810_172209_LLS_zps0aab4d15.jpg

Haven't seen many US beers at my local, so I thought I'd give this one a spin. Not a bad wee drop, although the tide is out in my glass!

ScottR    1,366

For several years, that was my go to beer. Nectar of the gods as far as I was concerned. I used it as a benchmark against which everything else was compared. Then I discovered hops were much like peppers or spicy foods. Once you got a taste for them, you kept needing to find more and more hops and spices. so after findingmore and more intensely flavored beers. poor old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale started tasting a wee bit bland.....I still love it, I just don't drink anything stronger along with it.

It is a great brewery though. I now get the Sierra Nevada Torpedo extra IPA much more often. And this weekend I ran across a limited release from Sierra Nevada called Beer Camp double IPA. I found it to be excellent.

IMG_0020_zps553f9c0b.jpg

And I tried a limited release from Kona, this Castaway IPA.

IMG_0018_zps77f4af6c.jpg

At first I thought it was rather weak and thin and crisp, but as I got further down the glass, I considered it delicate and quite tasty.

SR

ScottR    1,366

Your beer gets lonely in the fridge too? Mine is always calling me.....the later in the day it is, the louder they get.

Intriguing name on the stuff that's calling you.

SR

Smuttynose's Really Old Dog brown ale is one of my absolute favorite beers. Love it! Also, gotta love that Firestone Walker Union Jack! I lived in that brewery's town for a bit (Paso Robles, CA). Good stuff!

ScottR    1,366

I had to look up the Smuttynose Bouncy House as I hadn't ever seen it around here. I learned a little including that Smuttynose' finest Kind IPA is highly rated. It's looking like I'm going to have a couple of days in New Hampshire in a few weeks, so I'll be on a mission to find some of that stuff while I'm in the area.

And yeah, the Firestone Walker Union Jack is high on my list as well. So many great brews coming out of California these days.

SR

ScottR    1,366

I ran across that when I was researching Smuttynose. The Jai Alai was highly rated.

I'm glad you are chiming in--that's the point of this thread, to get new ideas for brews to try out, instead of just grabbing something blindly off the shelf. Not that that doesn't have it's own charm sometimes. There are so many craft brews out there with limited area distribution.......I'm gonna have to go on a craft brew discovery cross country road trip some day. :)

SR

I'm glad to participate! I love trying cool new brews, so I'm happy to find a few people that share several of my interests. I've got a few of your suggestions in my notes as well!

If you ever end up in Tampa, I'd be happy to show you a few cool local spots.

ScottR    1,366

You never know. It's been a few years, but I do get by there from time to time.

My son has been in the area a few times the last few years, over on Siesta Key.

SR

As a long time Florida boy, I'll also have to point out Tampa's own Cigar City Brewery. Everything I've tried from them is excellent, especially the Jai Alai IPA and Maduro brown ale.

Last time I was in Inverness, I believe we had a Cigar City brewing beer that you could get kegs of locally that was not pasteurized. It was pretty great. I like going to "Joyce's Courtside pub" there in downtown Inverness when I visit.

Sadly in my mini-fridge in the shop, I usually stock something like Busch in 16oz cans or "Busch Heavies" as I like to call them. Every now and then I'll go with PBR because it's just good beer.

Having said that, Ive been a home-brewer of beer for a decade or so and I'm kind of burned out on IPA's. They seem to be all the rage everywhere right now and finding a good summer brew Pale is fairly difficult to accomplish. I like most everything from Deschutes Brewery, and Ninkasi also from Oregon. Ninkasi's "Spring Reign" is one of my favorite pales. Most everything from Avery brewing is amazing too. I really like their "Hog Heaven" barley-wine style ale, but it's miserable to drink in a shop in the middle of the summer. More intended for a fireside during the middle of winter.

-Brett

That's cool! I'd like to brew my own some day. I'm not a big IPA guy either, but I'll give anything a fair sip.

My current favorite summer beer is Traveler Beer's Curious Traveler Shandy. Super citrusy and refreshing. I should go buy some more, actually....

That's cool! I'd like to brew my own some day. I'm not a big IPA guy either, but I'll give anything a fair sip.

Oh for sure, if someone hands me an IPA.. I'm going to drink it and smile. Never turn down a beer ;) I'm not a huge shandy fan, but you're right, they are pretty refreshing when it's summer in Florida!

Florida was getting lot's of cool beers we don't get here in Washington state every time I visit. It seems to me that beer distribution and geography in America is total shenanigans.

-Brett

Florida may get a lot of good stuff, but I'd be willing to bet you get some awesome Northwestern brews that I'd never get a chance at. But hey, someone mentioned an exchange somewhere earlier in this thread....

ScottR    1,366

I was late to climbing on the IPA bandwagon, but I've got to admit I've turned into a full blown hophead. I do still keep a bunch of Busch in my garage fridge to fuel all the hot outdoor daytime type work, lawn mowing beer as it were. The good stuff is for sitting down and watching the sun set.

I think I've only had one Deschutes brew, Mirror Pond IPA I believe, and I was a bit underwhelmed. Probably because of the hophead thing. :rolleyes: For me it's the same for Shandies, I can drink .......one. My go to super refreshing summer brew is Shiner Ruby Redbird. The distribution is spreading out on that Texas beer. I have heard you can get it as far away as Cleveland, but I don't know if it's made it to the far edges of the country.

You should get Maul to describe his home brew set up. It sounds very impressive and he's placed fairly high in some brewing competitions in MInnesota.

SR

Sierra Nevada makes a beer called "Hoptimum" that's available seasonally, its quite nice. It's got a real robust hoppy flavor, but it doesn't have a bitter finish, one of my favorites. I think its right around 10.5% too if memory serves, I would recommend it to anyone who loves hops! Deschutes Mirror pond ale is one of my favorites for just average drinking, they make a "mirror mirror" which is a double hopped seasonal, which sounds like it would be more up your alley ScottR. Deschutes winter seasonal "Jubilale" is also a pretty choice brew in my opinion.

There is a great brewing company over yonder Cascades in Seattle there called "Elysian" and they make some pretty great beers. The winter seasonal "Bifrost Ale" is probably the beer I would take over just about anything I've ever had. They make a couple great IPA's, one called "The Immortal" with a picture of a fist clutching a lightning bolt (I assume Zeus) and they make a Jasmine infused IPA that is pretty smooth. They also make a stout called "Dragonstooth stout" and every now and then they have a "Double Dragon Stout" for all us children of the NES ;) (still have mine from '84)

Earlier ScottR, you had mentioned Pliny the Elder, great beer. They also have Pliny the younger which is pretty quality as well.

Yeah so basically, I just love beer. I don't think I've ever really had a beer I would not have again, maybe with the exception of Sam Adams' Cranberry Lambic, and really all Lambics.. no thanks.

-Brett

ScottR    1,366

B-)

You are making me want to jump in the jeep and take that craft brew excursion. I will have a Pliny, one day--I will.

I'll keep my eyes open for some of those others you mentioned. I'm working on some Bridgeport Trinity 2 just now that is rather crisp and nice.

SR