ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

ScottR    1,366

One of my favourites from my time in the UK - Black Sheep Ale:

20140818_170714_LLS_zps47cf8f2e.jpg

Fits my glass better too.

Andrew, this one made me think I needed to go to merry old England .....thinking I didn't see much from there here. Turns out I wasn't looking in the right place.

I'll get to them eventually. In the mean time I tried this Aussie Salute IPA. Brewed with American hops and then dry hopped with Australian hops. It is a new flavor for me, and I quite like it.

IMG_0027_zpsdf9f2cd5.jpg

SR

We get a fairly good selection of Bridgeport beers here in WA, I really enjoy them. It looks like your beer glass has a nice flute there at the top ScottR, i love those cups!

In 2012 Elysian did the 12 beers of the Apocalypse.. With the end of the Mayan calendar and all that.. I had most of them. One was a beet bock which was red as blood, pretty cool. I love their beers.

Up here in WA we get Widmer brothers beers, and they have a couple real choice brews. The "curve ball blonde" is great, and much like a shocktop I like a slice of orange in it. They make a pale ale called "Alchemy" which is also noteworthy :)

Give them a shot if you're thirsty.

-Brett

curtisa    466

Andrew, this one made me think I needed to go to merry old England .....thinking I didn't see much from there here. Turns out I wasn't looking in the right place.

Know what you mean. While I was in the UK, not being familiar with any of the local brews I made sure I tried something new every night with dinner.

There's only a handful of stores that do imported beers down here, but they're still pretty decent value despite the extra cost of shipping them from far away places. I must try some more US beers if I see them. I quite enjoyed the Sierra Nevada.

Here's another (local) discovery. Fairly crisp malty taste, would probably go well with seafood:

20140831_174237_LLS_zps836e98b6.jpg

ScottR    1,366

My search for Pliny introduced me to drinking beers from a brandy snifter. I think they serve Emperials in them so the closed in shape will focus the flavors....and perhaps it does, but they feel so cool to hold! I have a set of pint glasses that look exactly like the one Andrew poured his Black Sheep Ale into, and used to go with those exclusively.....but the brandy snifters are way more fun to hold.

Widmer brothers make good beer. I've had the Drifter, the Alchemy and one of the seasonal IPAs, that I no longer remember the name of. I don't run across them often down here in Houston, but I try to grab them when I do.

SR

So my dad brought over his planer and his table saw so I can work on roughing a couple of neck blanks.. He also brought some outburst IPA by Pyramid.. Good stuff

I know way more about beer and the drinking of it than neck building but its time to get it on.

-Brett

ScottR    1,366

I consider them both very worthwile and enjoyable endeavors. And one is a great way to reward oneself after a pleasant day of the the other.

SR

ScottR    1,366

In light of the holiday weekend, I got a case of new beers to try.

Amnesia IPA

IMG_0036_zpsdd11c8d0.jpg

Squatters IPA

IMG_0038_zps018b4953.jpg

Big Sky IPA

IMG_0033_zps6ed50a11.jpg

Frankly, I wasn't that fond of these after one bottle of each. I went back the next couple of days and had two in a row row of each and they did get better.....but I'm not likely to buy these again.

This Bear Republic Racer was much better....

IMG_0049_zpsfbe6cc06.jpg

Then I had one of my favorites that I try to always have on hand, Odells IPA, and was reminded of what a great IPA tastes like. It wasn't even close.

SR

Oh beauty! Racer 5 is fantastic. Big sky beers are all pretty good IMO, particularly the powder hound winter ale.

I'm keeping the beers in the fridge while I get the hang of the table saw.

-Brett

ScottR    1,366

One thing I've learned when trying new beers is the order you try them out makes a big difference in how they taste. What you just drank has a big influence on what your next glass will taste like. This is particularly true if the first glass is the strongest flavored of your session, nothing that follows will measure up.

I have now decided that the Big Sky, standing alone is not half bad.

SR

ScottR    1,366

This weekend I tried Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Extra and it was outstanding!

IMG_0056_zpscd29a35f.jpg

And I got a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Bomber. I've been spelling soopid that way for a long long time. This too was outstanding!

IMG_0058_zps3864bf5a.jpg

And I got a bomber of Ballast Point Dorado. This was very good and very pricey and it didn't measure up to Sculpin....which may be my favorite so far.

IMG_0060_zps96d039fb.jpg

So I'll be buying Sculpin instead of Dorado from now on.

SR

maull    35

That is the first I have seen of the Little Sumpin' Extra Ale. I will have to keep an eye out for it. I have tried the Little Sumpin' Sumpin' and enjoyed that one. Heck, I do not think I could come up with a Lagunita's brew I have not enjoyed.

ScottR    1,366

I know what you mean. I've liked everything from them as well--a lot. The Little Sumpin' Extra is a limited release and definitely worth watching out for.

SR

ScottR    1,366

I ust spent a couple of days in Atlanta---technically a suburb but essentially Atlanta. They've got a fine brewer there by the name of Sweetwater. i paticipated in a bunch of their IPA..it was sublime. They are well known for their 420 EPA as well. Mr. Natural, one of our beloved members who lives in that area has sung its praises in these hallowed pages, and I can back him up in that assesment 100%. No pics though. :huh:

I have taken delivery of our first beer exchange, or at least the first half of one....

This Summit Extra Pale Ale is good beer. It has a malty smell and flavor, almost sweet, yet nicely balanced by the hops. I usually prefer hops balanced by malt, but I would go to this any day.

IMG_0080_zps2f4eb29d.jpg

Pliny the Elder! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate getting this sent to me!

IMG_0083_zps6469211e.jpg

This was good......but it was beyond its prime. The bitter juicyness was there and big hints of the flavors and aromas was there, but alas, most of the hops were shadows of themselves. I have hop monsters in their prime and the same ones after a bit of aging and based on that that this was a monster in its day....especially since at seven months it was still better than many I've tasted. Justin is in Denver and Russian River distributes to Colorado, so this will be on my Christmas list!

I have a flight leaving in just under twelve hours--destination New Hampshire. Maybe I will find some Smuttynose Finest Kind!

SR

Sad to hear about your Pliny experience it is usually fairly legendary.

Last night I got a bomber of Ninkasi's reNewAle which was as good as I'd hoped for three and a half bucks ;)

I also snagged the first bomber of Sam Adams Oktoberfest of the year, and it was pretty decent. Not as good as last years, but pretty enjoyable. Plus I took my boy to pick apples yesterday, and something about that always makes it feel like fall, as do Oktoberfest brews :)

-Brett

ScottR    1,366

I was very glad to even have a Pliny experience! But it's not over by any means. I'm gonna have my son try to bring me some, next time he heads this way from Denver.

I had some Sam's Oktoberfest on draft a couple weeks ago, 'twas fine!

I've had the Sweetwater 420 a few times, but this was my first chance at the IPA. I had to take another trip and have been in New Hampshire since Sunday. (Back now.) I took the opportunity to try Smuttynose IPA, and Smuttynose Common Man Ale, Harpoon White IPA. I found them all quite good, with the Smutty IPA being my favorite of the three.

SR

ScottR    1,366

Ah. I fully expect this to change as I continue my explorations but as it stands right now:

1) Balast Point Sculpin

2) Green Flash West Coast IPA

3) Odells IPA

Those top three are separated by the meerest of margins and I honestly get much more Odells because of the price or the other two.

4) Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Extra

5) Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

For the last one in the six pack I'd have to put these names on a dart board and throw darts blindfolded:

6) Lagunitas IPA, Firestone Walker Union Jack, Founders Centennial.

SR

Workingman    44

Scott, where in New Hampshire will you be? If you are in the SW nip across to Brattleboro VT and go to McNiels brewpub. Have anything cask conditioned and if they have Old Ringworm don't miss it. Smuttynose makes some nice beers. Their Old Brown Dog is my standard BBQ beer when I am in Vermont.

ScottR    1,366

Actually, I've already gone and come back. I was in Meredith, pretty much dead center of the state. I've gotta admit I certainly see the appeal of that part of the county, as you and Amiee and others have mentioned. Very pretty countryside up in that neck of the woods. I've got to find a reason to explore more of New England.

I'd love to hear more responses to Knightro's best 6-pack mix......

SR

I guess I should have put my 6 picks up, huh?

1- Wychwood Brewery Hobgoblin

2- Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai IPA

3- Cigar City Brewing Maduro brown ale

4- Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA

5- Smuttynose Old Brown Dog

6- Unibroue Maudite

These aren't in any particular order, I love them all equally :D