Entry for June 2018's Guitar Of The Month contest is open!
ENTER HERE!

ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

that picture is bringing back some fun- and rough memories. 

i am captain of the wuss club so feel free to join. I can barely handle stouts that have been barrell aged. the last time I had johnnie walker (red) was 1989. Chivas Regal in 1993 and Jack and maybe makers mark or wild turkey back before that. Plus I have the added bonus of being a mean drunk on that stuff. Not sure why it affects me like that. 

Now rum- I can drink some rum. In the summer. with coke. and lime and lots of it. goes well with the summer heat and waves of the ocean. 

I also steer clear of bourbon barrel aged stouts. It just ruins it for me.

Funny story. I was talking about my whiskey experiments and one of my friends recommended Leadslingers something or other. I looked it up, and it's a cinnamon bourbon.

So I thought he was just joking. But no, he says he's dead serious. I've had cinnamon bourbon before. It's NOT good.

Cinnamon is there to hide a cheap mash, and to make a liquor that can be knocked back regardless. I wouldn't go there. Good to hear you like black label. It's a great weekender.

Oh, I'm not going there. Like you say, they wouldn't put cinnamon in a whiskey they were proud of.

Plus my #1 red flag is the name. If the name is overwhelmingly "tough" sounding, it's meant as a challenge for men who want to look tough to drink it.

https://www.leadslingerswhiskey.com/home

Read the "story". It sounds like a national anthem.

Edited by westhemann

Oh, right. So drinking it will make eagles shoot out of your ass and it'll smell like pure freedom? The irony is killing me!

Pretty much.

Want to be exactly like a heroic patriot in Afghanistan but scared of bullets? Drink our cinnamon whiskey! As close to death as you can get from your couch!

That's certainly not the way I'd want to go. Imagine waking up the next day not sure whether you are in fact alive or dead. A lot of these shitty "whiskies" have crazy chemicals in them like (IIRC) ethylene glycol, which is a common constituent of car coolant. That said, I would definitely like a cinnamon-scented screenwash.

My package arrived.

The 2 Gingers is very good and needs some more testing.

The Red Label us surprisingly good with ginger ale. While the Black is better solo, the Red really does mix better. Interesting. I quite like it. It may become my new standard.

20180201_145445.jpg

I'm finally getting around to posting some of the new stuff I've tried over the last few months. Looking over my pictures, I have become embarrassingly complacent in my documentation. 

Oh well, here is what I did keep track of.

Back in November Lagunitas came out with this (that) year's version of Born Yesterday Pale Ale. Pale ale my ass--the hops in this stuff grabs you by the nose as soon as you open the bottle and tastes better than it smells. Damn good stuff!

C00595.jpg

From local brewery, 8th Wonder, Rocket Fuel, a rather low test Vietnamese coffee porter that carries off that taste quite well.

C00598.jpg

From Jester King in Austin, Commercial Suicide, farmhouse mild. Jester King gets a lot of accolades, so I decided to try one. The specialize in farmhouse ales and wild yeast and fruit additives....none of which I particularly care for, but I wanted to at least see what they are talking about. It comes in a big bottle and the first glass wasn't too bad--mildly tart, mildly tasty. Second glass not quite as good and the third went down the drain. Looks like this will be a one glass only if ever beer for me.

C00653.jpg

Burial's Griddle Imperial Espresso Stout. Delicious coffee aroma fills the room with the popping of the tab. May be the best stout I've ever had.

C00722.jpg

Founders Sumatra Mountain Imperial brown ale brewed with Sumatra coffee....which is my favorite coffee these days. Good stuff.

C00724.jpg

Hopitoulas from NOLA brewery. I had this a couple blocks away from the brewery the last time I was in New Orleans. Good, but not as good as I remembered. Perhaps the surroundings played a bit in that. It seemed maltier in my back yard.

C00727.jpg

From Athens, Creature Comforts Duende. Absolutely delicious DIPA. Everything I have been fortunate enough to try from this brewery, has been great. This is fruity, citrus laden and aromatic.

C00756.jpg

Dust Bunny Hazy IPA from Monday Night in Atlanta. More citrus fruity pungent goodness.

C00759.jpgHouse Brew coffee stout out of Kansas City. Good solid stout, nice coffee notes, nothing to go out of your way for.C00760.jpg

Creature Comforts Get Comfortable IPA. Also delicious. Juicy citrus with a nice tang at the end.

C00762.jpg

Bells Expedition Russian Imperial Stout. This stuff is jet black and thick and slick. Good stuff....but not my favorite. I'd prefer to exchange the dark fruit for coffee. Perhaps the "sipping whiskey" of stouts.

C00771.jpg

From Austin, Buckethead IPA. Though it does not make the claim, this is a big ol' double at 8.9% abv. I liked it. It reminded me of Founders Centennial with more alcohol.

C00773.jpg

There are a lot of holes in this accounting. Mayhap I should revisit some just for documentary accuracy.

SR

• Like 2

superbowl warm up stout samuel smiths organic chocolate stout. this was ok- I like the regular sam smith's stout better though

20180204_180304.thumb.jpg.0ae7f98ebfeafe24b2f7e6a047a607fb.jpg

i had these a week ago I think- 

black venom stout- good stuff. 

20180128_175034.thumb.jpg.c83d9fe04ec6e0beb92d4e74ca90949a.jpg

Sante Fe Brewing 7k ipa. good stuff

20180128_184542.thumb.jpg.a99479445ace6a2da56f5cddedbb4e58.jpg

got this freebie of Cherry Street Brewing's  Steppin Razor IPA from a growler store. I asked for a growler fill but they were at the bottom of the keg. This freebie was all that was left. killed the keg

20180120_173319.thumb.jpg.e1255907a5057bbf67c950c2cc7f2a1d.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Natural said:

superbowl warm up stout samuel smiths organic chocolate stout. this was ok- I like the regular sam smith's stout better though

20180204_180304.thumb.jpg.0ae7f98ebfeafe24b2f7e6a047a607fb.jpg

Shared a bottle of that at the weekend with Nina. Lovely, but very heavy and sweet. We used to drink the stout by the crapload back in the UK. Very inexpensive too. In fact, the cheapest pub in London that I could find was Sam Smith owned.

https://goo.gl/maps/LPVs2FJ1BGH2

continuing with the stouts- 

redbrick brewery's hype whale. not digging it. bourbon barrel um- well- not my cup o tea, glad I tried it though

20180205_171238.thumb.jpg.5a04d729649697346daeb165e3c257e6.jpg

ale smith's speedway stout. This was pretty good- but I am starting to become particular about stouts now- and while this was good- it was missing something.the coffee just wasnt present enough in my opinion. i like getting a blast in the nose and a blast on the palate. if you advertise coffee on the can- put enough in there to make a difference says I. The foam on that stout is not yellowed as shows in the pic- the sun had gone down and I put the flash on my phone- my phone sucks but like my guitar pics on my camera- if I take a pic with my camera and load to my pc- they fall victim to windows 10 filing hell and it will take me forever to find them. 

20180205_173809.thumb.jpg.c65f9f3053bd4e3b6aa946f6792434cd.jpg

Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout. If you haven't tried this yet, I quite like it for a good stout with coffee flavors. Like you, I hate bourbon barrel aging.

You can pretty much ignore most of beer advocates ratings. Too many bourbon lovers on there, so like most men they pretend to like only the "strongest and toughest". Yeti though is from a surprisingly good craft brewery in Colorado.(Great Divide)

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/158/42723/

Edited by westhemann

@westhemann-totally agree on the Yeti-heck- havent met a yeti yet that I didnt like. 

The caskmates thing- kinda the reverse of barrel aged stouts-looking forward to your report on that. 

The last time I had Irish whiskey was in a couple of Irish coffees I had at the Buena Vista  coffee shop by the wharf in San Francisco back in 1993 maybe 94 or so. Those were really tasty- and major buzz was had- I do remember that. 

anyone that travels to San Fran- I would recommend a trip to this place- just dont plan any heavy activities after it. 

http://www.thebuenavista.com/home/irishcoffee.html

I'm very curious. The whole stout barrel thing could be really great or it could be terrible. I don't think it's going to mix well though...I suspect it will need to be just by itself in a glass.

I might be wrong there too. Should be here tomorrow.

and we start a day off tomorrow and the Olympics opening tonight with a European entry- a nice Belguim Strong Pale Ale (8%) called Omer Traditional Blond from Brouwerij Bockor N.V/Brouwerij omer Vander Ghinste , Belguim

I still dont like Belguim yeast- but this stuff isnt too bad. nice and light. zero hops though

anyone else watching the Olympics? Peeps be falling all over the place in skating. I keep trying to switch it to the downhill practice runson the other olympics channel but Mrs Natch aint having it. grr- chick sports. 

20180208_190016.thumb.jpg.635a94be3c58760c52e754462a175854.jpg

Ice hockey for sure. We probably won't do too well since the NHL and SM-Liiga aren't taking breaks to allow players to compete. Every other league seems to be accommodating the Olympics, so we'll be right against it this year.

I like black buttes and Ican not lie.

Found this at a Texaco next to Home Depot. I'll try it tonight. Hopefully it won't give me de schutes.

20180209_114401.jpg