Voting November 2018's Guitar Of The Month is now open
MAKE YOUR VOTE COUNT HERE!

ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

Loopulus from Creature Comforts, Citra and Nelson in a DIPA- 8.5% Abv. one of the best beers I have ever had. total juice bomb. 

20180303_155540.thumb.jpg.a1d91305fb883c1cf6830b17e4c30666.jpg

• Like 1

This Hazy Sculpin doesn't live up to those accolades.....but it is still pretty damn good. Juicy--not a juice bomb, but definitely juicy.

C00907.jpg

SR

My wife and I spent the weekend in Atlanta, went over there for a concert. We went to a really great restaurant in Decatur called Leon's Full Service. The building used to be a full service gas station. Tremendous pub grub. The place was opened by the owners of The Brick Store Pub, which is one of the best beer bars in the world. So, naturally they had a nice draft selection. Got to try a few different brews, a couple fairly local:

Creature Comforts, Coffee Reclaimed Rye

Three Taverns, A Night on Ponce IPA

21st Amendment, Baby Horse Quad

All were excellent!

• Like 2

Went to the alcohol store. Came back with these for later. Don't know why i picked up bourbon.  Temporary insanity?

20180313_135952.jpg

30 minutes ago, westhemann said:

Don't know why i picked up bourbon

Maybe because it is a quite good one?

What is the American Honey?

SR

Yeah, the Maker's Mark was suggested to perhaps change my mind about Bourbon. The American Honey is Wild Turkey with honey in it. I guess that one was just curiosity more than anything.

The glasses are supposed to reduce the alcohol burn so the flavors come through more.

The scotch is not bad at all. A little more smoke than Johnnie black, but not quite as smooth.

The Maker's bourbon is pretty great for bourbon, but still bourbon. I'll give it more time some other evening.

45 minutes ago, westhemann said:

The scotch is not bad at all. A little more smoke than Johnnie black, but not quite as smooth.

The Maker's bourbon is pretty great for bourbon, but still bourbon. I'll give it more time some other evening.

I'm not into the smokey scotches anymore, I prefer a milder, peat flavor with some sort of finish. Like a rum or port finish. I used to be able to get a Glenfiddish rum finished and they quit making it. They still make a port finish, It's not bad. My wife brought home some Brand? Not sure at the moment from England last year. It was very good.  I tried to order some and it is only found in the duty free shops. So now I keep looking, She goes back this summer so hopefully she can get me more.

Yeah, too much smoke gets a bit bacon-y, but you can counter that with a touch of ginger ale. I'm thinking by the time I get through this bottle I won't buy it again. It's good, but Johnnie Black is much better.

• Like 1

Aaaaaaand hangover.

I guess the surprise is the headache from whatever hidden ingredients are in there. Probably sugar.

I ordered some Glenrothes Scotch, including a "peated reserve". Trying to nail down what I like and don't like in my Scotch.

It's nice trying new stuff. I just hate being disappointed.

Wild Turkey 101 is quite tasty as well. 

Best Scotch I've ever had: The Balvenie Caribbean Cask

I really enjoy bourbon, and it's mostly what I drink these days, what with all the carbs in beer. But it took me a long time to get there. It was actually drinking bourbon barrel aged beers that sort of backed me into it. 

Enjoying a pour of Elijah Craig Small Batch this evening, which is my 'go to' bourbon.

20180315_214615.thumb.jpg.81e528b394f1d3763889c2a32b81de22.jpg

Others in a similar budget range that I really like are: Wild Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, and Eagle Rare

Wild Turkey is pretty much a staple around here in Texas. It was always 101 when I was young. I didn't consider it too great, just marginally better than Jack green label.

Bourbon is strange. You grow up drinking it and it seems great, then you try other stuff and realize how harsh bourbon really is. I did enjoy the Maker's Mark though. The American Honey is wearing thin after the first night. I can't see keeping that up. Too sweet.

Given that I've never heard of the last two, you might well be. Like I said, Cardhu. Would you like a tick list?

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Given that I've never heard of the last two, you might well be. Like I said, Cardhu. Would you like a tick list?

That would be good. The Glenrothes were something they were promoting at the online store I buy from sometimes. I think it's something they just started carrying, and the unusual thing is they have Scotch, Bourbon, Sherry, etc of different types all in the exact same kind of bottle with a different label. Seems weird, but I had some "points" to use up.

Ah, Glenrothes. I knew I knew the name. It's a Speysider, so a very different style to what we prefer. We're more into the robust tastes. Difficult whiskies. These are generally peated west coast and island whiskies. I'll do you a list of distilleries and expressions.

• Islay whiskies
    • Ardbeg
      • 10yo....standard and our favourite. 46%
      • Corryvreckan....expensive, nearing cask strength (57%?) and one that needs a little water, time and patience "getting to know".
    • Lagavulin
      • 16yo....a classic, plus Nick Offerman!
    • Laphroaig
      • 10yo....their standard offering. Big medicinal peaty flavours. Maybe not for all, but affordable. We think it's a little watery at 40%.
    • Caol Ila
      • 12yo is their standard. Big part of JW Black Label. Wild enough to be interesting, tame enough to be approachable.
    • Kilchoman
      • Machir Bay....now their standard. Kind of semi-artisanal, but more of a modern approach to tradition. I like this one a lot.
    • Bruichladdich (all very expensive)
      • Port Charlotte....a somewhat rough but excellent whisky. Rough in a good way, with lots of peaty smoky interest.
      • Octomore....if you go here, you're into nightmare peat territory. I bought Nina a bottle of 6.1 and it was worth every cent in spite of the huge cost.
  • Island whiskies
    • Jura
      • Prophecy....super peaty and cereal-y. Very very nice.
      • Origin 10yo....butterscotchy, smoke and cereal. Maybe a little sweet for me, but unique, that's for sure.
    • Talisker
      • 10yo....another big ingredient in Black Label. Salty, smoky and dry. Absolutely lovely.
  • Highland
    • Dalwhinnie
      • 16yo....a bit of a different one here. Unpeated, super light and tastes like it evaporates off your tongue. Glorious.
  • Speyside
    • Cardhu
      • 12yo....it can be a bit simple for the tastes of anybody that likes big flavours, however this is malty, sweet cereal-y and pure satin. The open secret behind Black Label.

Overall I think that using JW Black Label as a reference point and trying the individual components helps orient your compass and figure out what you like about it. If I had to choose three for you, Caol Ila, Cardhu and Talisker.

my homeboy out west done hooked me up again. Been like Christmas here in Georgia. 

Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout from Tallgrass Brewing out of Kansas, 5% Abv-  enjoying this one while I type this

20180316_174505.thumb.jpg.27233ec7ae5ce0fdd6da7d35f34465b1.jpg

Gran Sport Porter from COOP Ale Works out of Oklahoma. 6% Abv. Good stuff. 

20180311_195253.thumb.jpg.fe687ccee3165285eae2f5f46d95749c.jpg

Odell IPA from Odell Brewing out of Colorado. 7% abv. Been wanting to try this stuff for forever it seems. really good west coast style IPA without the narly pine tar thing you can get from some west coast styles. pine is ok, pine tar is not. So far everything I have tried from Odells has been excellent. 

20180310_021523.thumb.jpg.b72211c33eda0d521c382f2477ef5aaf.jpg

Mosaic IPA from Community Brewing in Texas 8.6% (um- double IPA territory there)- good stuff. 

20180310_182819.thumb.jpg.099b1d1836ed6258e06dde7c5fa0a49b.jpg

Alpha Hive Double IPA from Coop Ale Works, 9.1% abv- a nice west coast style Double IPA with a sweet kiss of honey on the back swallow. Its a bit different- but very nice. I dig it. 

20180310_201813.thumb.jpg.b20d4ede6faf13233ab13426e1175b27.jpg

my first Firestone Walker Brewing beer (California)- and its from their limited Leo vs Ursus series-  Wookus, a 8.2% Black Ale that is fine fine fine stuff. Digging it. 

20180310_214951.thumb.jpg.ee7be607b245b073d34eae55e73a4e65.jpg

Hookiebobb IPA from Crazy Mountain Brewing (Colorado) 6.7% abv- a decent enough west coast style ipa. 

20180311_184752.thumb.jpg.25c86991b15484462ef87a0e52ebd231.jpg

awaken my love stout from creature comforts (Georgia) - sadly- while most Creature Comforts beers are excellent- I did not enjoy this one at all- way too sweet, way too much cinnamon- just not digging it. 

5aac493300402_20180306_210755(1).thumb.jpg.15a7e86933e38a05e09b455fff38da65.jpg