ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

ScottR    1,365

That sounds like a recipe for a witch's brew.......

The only one I've heard of is the Founders Porter. I'm gonna have to look the others up.

SR

ScottR    1,365

Finally got my hands on some Sculpin. Fantastic stuff!

Awesome!

Ballast Point is a San Diego brewery; you should be able to get that on your end of the left coast Brett. It's worth it.

SR

ScottR    1,365

So I sent Justin on a mission to find me some Pliny the Elder in Denver and bring it to me in a couple of weeks when we'll meet at my dad's house. This is the email I got from him last night:

So after about 15 calls yesterday to all the liquor stores listed on Russian River's website as carriers of ole Pliny, I have acquired a few bottles of this mysterious brew. I'll have you know I got laughed at by about half of the people I called to ask if they had the beer in. The other half told me they only get a very limited shipment about every other month and it's gone within hours and two of that latter half told me that they'd be getting it today and if I got there in time, they might sell me a bottle or two.

So I made a point to leave work ASAP, called the two places to see if they still had any in stock and proceeded to fight traffic for about an hour to make it to the liquor stores. The first ran out of what they had left in the time it took me to arrive. BUT...they did have three bottles left of some Russian River Barrel Aged Sours (Consecration and Sanctification). They sold me two and it made the whole trip totally worth it because I can't think of anything better to suit my taste of the moment than some barrel aged sours. Those are pretty much my two favorite flavors.

The other place I called was had a three bottle limit and was kind enough to sell them to me over the phone and let me pick them up a bit later. Those are the ones you see in the picture.

All told the procuring process took about two hours of phone calls, two hours of fighting traffic, and about seven people laughing at me. I tell you this not for pity or to guilt you in any way, but rather so you have a greater appreciation of these brews when you consume them.

...oh and so you forgive me if only two of the three make it to MO with me in a few weeks...I mean, did you see the date on those? After all this searching and reading their warnings of how Pliny needs to be consumed fresh, it just seems a bit blasphemous to not put one down when it's only eight days old.

All that said, the liquor store down the street from me did say that they might be getting a few in tomorrow (actually a few mentioned they might get some due to Great American Beer Fest this weekend....which is something we might wanna think about doing together sometime....though tickets usually sell out in minutes). So if that actually happens and I can get there before they sell out, I'll replace what I drink.

And I'll keep this new hobby of yours in mind for Christmas.

photo_zps2a807767.jpg

What a son!

SR

Haha! I wouldn't do that for my dad. Nah I would, but he drinks cheap beer and loves it. I tried to get him going on some high end rare stuff, but he was a painter for years and has this mixing fixation. He will buy some cheapish dark porter, and mix Kokanee tall cans with it in a clear cup to a pleasing visible hue. I'm not joking.

You got a real good kid there Scott, you must have told him to respect his Elder ;)

-Brett

ScottR    1,365

I made him a pretty nice guitar too........ Nah, he would have done that for me anyway. He's definitely a great son. Tells a pretty good story too.

I told him he certainly must partake after going to all that effort, so we'll soon see if he respects his Elder or not. :D

SR

ScottR    1,365

I just ran across this thread. I had to take the last 4 weeks off from brewing due to vacations and other miscellaneous distractions. I just entered two beers into the Minnesota State Fair Homebrew contest yesterday and am hoping to brew a 15 gallon batch this coming weekend. Beers entered are a simcoe hopped IPA we lovingly call "Sharted" and a full bodied Orange blossom Honey Weiss. I do not have any current photos but will snap a few this coming weekend.

p.s. Sorry for sending you on the Pliny the Elder wild goose chase Scott. I would send you a bottle if I could get my hands on any more. Perhaps we need to plead to any PG members in California to help us out.

I was going back through this trying to remember if I had already posted a beer I got last week and came across this......oh yeah, you did enter a couple of beers this past summer.

How did they do?

SR

maull    35

I just ran across this thread. I had to take the last 4 weeks off from brewing due to vacations and other miscellaneous distractions. I just entered two beers into the Minnesota State Fair Homebrew contest yesterday and am hoping to brew a 15 gallon batch this coming weekend. Beers entered are a simcoe hopped IPA we lovingly call "Sharted" and a full bodied Orange blossom Honey Weiss. I do not have any current photos but will snap a few this coming weekend.

p.s. Sorry for sending you on the Pliny the Elder wild goose chase Scott. I would send you a bottle if I could get my hands on any more. Perhaps we need to plead to any PG members in California to help us out.

I was going back through this trying to remember if I had already posted a beer I got last week and came across this......oh yeah, you did enter a couple of beers this past summer.

How did they do?

SR

I have not seen our score sheets yet, however the guy I brew with has looked them over. He said we did ok with the honeyweiss but apparently we got torn up by the judges on our IPA. Once I have a chance to read over them I will have a better idea of what we can do to improve our process. We did not place with either beer in this competition so I guess we will just have to keep brewing.

ScottR    1,365

How can a beer named Sharted not place?

Two and a half months seems like a long time to wait for score sheets, is that normal?

I doubt you need excuses to keep brewing, but this would be a good one to save and pull out for the significant other if she complains: didn't place must keep brewing must keep brewing must keep brewing.

SR

maull    35

The score sheets had my friends address on them so they were delivered to him. We have only had 2 brewing sessions since that occurred (a five gallon batch and a 15 gallon batch) and we get so involved in the brewing process I keep forgetting to read them so that is my own fault. I have no idea how Sharted did not place. It has become a favorite of ours and all of our friends. I am going to blame incompetent judging. <_<

Workingman    44

Hmm back when I brewed scores were given on the spot. I took first prize with the second beer I ever brewed, a honey wheat with Belgium yeast. This is making me think about brewing again.

maull    35

I have normally gotten results mailed back within a few weeks. This particular event was at our State Fair and there were many entries to keep them busy.

ScottR    1,365

I'm finally getting around to posting up some new brews.

This Bridgeport IPA is quite tasty, if a bit on the mild side. It seems more like a pale ale to me.

IMG_0122_zps40783509.jpg

Odell St. Lupulin. This is a seasonal and likely the last batch of the season. Really good stuff too.

IMG_0126_zpsca8716a2.jpg

Firestone Walker Doulbe Jack. Outstanding stuff, this is.

IMG_0128_zpsc57334da.jpg

SR

Workingman    44

The new beer store by me has opened. I think I will walk by at lunch time and see what they have. They claim that they have around 150 different beers and will be increasing that to over 300.

ScottR    1,365

This past weekend I went back to my homeland, the Kansas City MO. area and picked up several new tasties. My son met me there and brought some from Colorado as well as some recomendations.

The first of those was Bells Two Hearted IPA which was awesome but we drank it all up there so no pics. :(

Another was a recomendation from the new daughter in law: Left Hand 400 lb. Monkey.

IMG_0160_zps3d90e2a2.jpg

And then we have the Pliny The Elder that Justin went to extreme lengths to bring me. The question is does it live up to the hype? Most reviews say it does.....

And mine says yes and no or more acurately no and yes.

From the hype one expects an explosion of flavor that blows everything tasted before away. Nope. The first thought is- this is very good beer, but I don't know if it is the best I've ever had. Several ounces later, I think this might be the best I've ever had. By the last swallow, I'm thinking this may be the best I've ever had.

And as Justin stated to me as he drank his second, this is even better the second time around! :hyper

IMG_0162_zps8281b3fb.jpg

SR

maull    35

Glad you got the opportunity to try a fresher bottle. Any thoughts on how big of a difference there was between this one and the one I sent you? I am starting to think I am going to have to take a road trip to Colorado just to get some more in my fridge.

I have to agree that Two Hearted is a very tasty IPA. I enjoy that one fairly often.

ScottR    1,365

The difference was huge! In the aged one, the flavor was mostly malt and bitterness and shades of the hops in the background. In the fresh one you'd be hard pressed to find any malt taste in it. It is all pine and grapefruit and subtle hints of various other hop characteristics. Odell IPA and Lagunitas Little Sumpin Extra share the original flavor found in Pliny....but Pliny takes it and keeps on going into something quite complex and yet simple and crisp at the same time.

I've gotten ahold of some old Sculpin and Stone IPA and Ruination IPA before after drinking the fresh stuff a week or so earlier and experienced the same thing. Hops in a brew apparently fade as they age. Is there anything in the brewing process that can slow that down? If so is it a trade off of some kind flavor wise?

SR

maull    35

I honestly have not had the opportunity to do a comparison like this. IPA's were originally created to survive the long trip from England to the colonies in India so I never really thought too long on the hops fading over time. I will have to look into it more and see if there is anything that can be done to prolong the flavor profile.