Entry for October 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

The name is tempting! I've yet to find a bourbon to suit my taste.... 200+ Scotch Single Malts have all tasted better than the few bourbons I've tasted. And some have been the favourites of the offerer like Woodford Reserve. So far every bourbon has tasted like stomach juice to me...

Honestly,  I think I'd say try Maker's 46 if you haven't yet. If you don't like that, you probably won't like any bourbon. It's among the most palatable. 

Bourbon just has a bite. That's pretty much what defines it.

6 hours ago, westhemann said:

Bourbon just has a bite. That's pretty much what defines it.

Guess so. At one of our Scotch tastings - a group of 6 gentlemen gathering a few times a year - one fellow had just visited the US and brought four or five sample bottles of various recommended bourbons. Even after having performed the actual tasting round meaning we all were in a positive mood waiting to get another dram, next morning the 5 cl bottles had a third left each!

Well, if you're taking that small a sip all you're getting is alcohol bite and no flavor. That's not going to be pleasant. 

I've also had two finger widths and a bottle which lasted a couple of years...

BTW do you know that there's more than one way to measure two finger widths? The standard of course is your index and middle fingers holding the goblet near the bottom with the thumb on the opposite side. The greedy version is to hold the glass between your index and little finger, the middle and ring fingers sitting tight against your palm...

Edited by Bizman62
  • Like 1

Toki is still missing from my list. But I liked Suntory CHITA pretty much.

Yesterday I decided to eat the Jack Daniels chocolate (Swiss). Fortunately it was only 3.5 oz... I guess it may have got a bit rancid although it wasn't too much over the best before date. Anyhoo, that was a disappointment, the filling had no flavour of anything, just sugar.

Tequila is excellent.  Bourbon is barely adequate. 

I think I'm done with Balcones. They all seem to have this raw back end I don't like. I assumed in the Baby Blue it was because it was unaged, but I guess not.

20190927_192203.jpg

Edited by westhemann

On 9/27/2019 at 7:24 PM, westhemann said:

Tequila is excellent.  Bourbon is barely adequate. 

I think I'm done with Balcones. They all seem to have this raw back end I don't like. I assumed in the Baby Blue it was because it was unaged, but I guess not.

20190927_192203.jpg

My wife has started drinking Buffalo Trace Bourbon. Most places limit how many you can buy to one bottle as it is hard to find so far. Me being a scotch drinker find it to be pretty good though. :)

mk