Entry for July 2020's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

ScottR

BEER! What's in your fridge?

I've been collecting a few to share over the last few weeks. Here's one recommended by that beer course book:

Green Flash Road Warrior Imperial Rye India Pale Ale. This is caramel malt foward and hop forward and quite good. It's pretty robust stuff too.

IMG_0320_zpsidnzzkqf.jpg

Great Divide Titan IPA. I've had other brews from Great Divide at my son's place and enjoyed them. This was quite tasty. It leaned on the malt but had a great bitter bite from the hops and left that taste on the tongue afterwards that hops do, making you want another sip. Reading the label you'd think it would be much hoppier and then I saw the brew date and it was last February! If it's still this good now, I bet it's a knockout fresh.

IMG_0323_zpsuwsboqqw.jpg

I was pleased to see that Smuttynose has made it to my neck of the woods. I had this Finest Kind IPA on tap in New Hampshire and was missing it. This is an excellent brew with a cool label.

IMG_0325_zpsv0gdnwuh.jpg

And this was a shot in the dark. Upslope IPA out of Boulder. More caramel malt and patagonia hops that also left the taste on the backside of your teeth that compels another sip. It reminded me quite a bit of the imperial rye IPA. I'll get it again for sure.

IMG_0328_zpspvfguqau.jpg

SR

• Like 1

Good stuff. I haven't tried the Upslope IPA, but the rest are all good choices.

Had a growler of Stone's Enjoy By IPA tonight, myself. Awesomely fresh stuff. Highly recommended.

Good stuff. I haven't tried the Upslope IPA, but the rest are all good choices.

Had a growler of Stone's Enjoy By IPA tonight, myself. Awesomely fresh stuff. Highly recommended.

I've been keeping my eyes open for the Enjoy By, but so far have only run by it once.That was in Branson and I already had loaded up on stuff I cannot get here so I didn't pull the trigger. Surely I'll find some down here at some point, we've got plenty of other Stone offerings. :mellow:

SR

I picked up a couple of new ones this weekend. I have a habit of ignoring the cans, but I've been reminded that some real gems only come in cans, especially if they are pretty small breweries. So I tried this Hop Burst from Santan Brewery in Arizona. My first can was after something really good and my initial reaction was meh... The next day I had it first and decided the stuff is not bad at all, pretty good even.

IMG_0329_zps2efbgfbo.jpg

This seasonal from Odell is what I had first. Runoff Red IPA is one I consider very good.

IMG_0333_zpsnh8ig4yi.jpg

What's in your fridge?

SR

Scott, I always go for cans when available. They are a superior storage vessel to glass, for a variety of reasons. Many craft breweries are going in the direction of cans.

As far as what's in my fridge at the moment, only a couple of the Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Hoppy Lager's, which are OK. Over the course of the weekend I had a couple cans of Oskar Blues Old Chub and a bomber of Straight to Ale Vern's Wheat Wine, which is different and quite tasty.

I have been reading that about cans lately as well. But.....they just don't look as elegant. That's a prejudice I'll have to try to cure myself of.

I had the opportunity to enjoy an evening at the Oscar Blues brewpub and restaurant in Longmont, CO a couple of years ago. Many tasty brews, a fine dinner followed by a cool blues band upstairs. I remember it fondly.

SR

I probably have the opposite prejudice. When I see craft beer in cans I assume that the brewery is more 'new wave', more dynamic, and more likely to take risks with their beer. And I'm more likely to try it. I don't hold that standard to Belgian beers, limited release bombers, and the like. But in general it's a factor in my purchasing of American craft beer.

Besides, you can't see what the beer looks like in a brown glass bottle anyway. Appearance only matters after it's poured!

Interesting concept. Cans are certainly more securly sealed and light proof. There seem to be fewer offerings on the shelves in cans, but going forward I will be paying more attention to them. At this time all my favorites come from bottles. I'll see if anything canned can break into that list going forward.

SR

So in deference to Matt's recomendations, I tried a couple more canned offerings.

First up was Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin' IPA. This is pretty highly rated stuff, but I'm going to have to withhold my judgement for a bit. I was pretty good but I got the distinct flavor of old. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for a fresh batch and try again.

IMG_0337_zpse5yxpg4r.jpg

Ska's Modus Hoperandi. This is very good stuff. It's from Durango Colorado, which I remember as a cool little town. I'd love to go there and have some of this from the brew pub....assuming there is one.

IMG_0335_zps0bjbsmqs.jpg

And then we have this limited release from Lagunitas. Night Time Ale. (fear the dark). Daaaaammmmnnn. This stuff is loaded with flavor. Roasted caramel malts, dank earthy hops, almost smoky almost like smoked hops. I want to call them swamp hops or call this a black swamp IPA. This is bursting with flavor and I call it delicious.

IMG_0340_zpsvfn7cv2s.jpg

SR

• Like 2

I haven't tried the Modus Hoperandi, but the other two are quite good. You definitely need to try a fresh Hop Ottin' IPA. It's been a while since I had one, but I remember it being pretty tasty.

Bells makes Two Hearted Ale in cans, which is a great beer. Plus all the Oskar Blues stuff is canned. My favorite local IPA, Straight to Ale Monkeynaut, is canned. As is Good People IPA, out of Birmingham, AL (And their excellent double IPA, Snake Handler). And one of the greatest double IPA's in the world, Heady Topper, is as well.

• Like 1

Most of our local stuff is canned........actually now that I think about it, it may be closer to 50/50. One local that has been recommended to me as a very good double IPA : Buffalo Bayou More Cowbells, is canned. I'm looking for that one but sometimes even local stuff is hard to find.

SR

I picked up an oldy but a goody this weekend.

Anchor Steam.

IMG_0346_zpsshxgflra.jpg

And I tried another canned IPA that I've been seeing, Uinta Hop Nosh. I've been having the toughest time finding the best by dates on the cans. I could not find this one in the store.....but when I got it home, there it was plain as day and no excuses for not seeing it. And it was three months past. And it is still damn good. Here is another that I wonder how good it might be fresh.

IMG_0341_zpsonzuapfa.jpg

SR

We went up to Paso Robles over my birthday weekend and passed the Firestone Walker brewery.

E1FA9664-C138-4520-B89E-D40C79FC3B40_zps

I was hoping to get a tour in, but no luck this time.

However, it did inspire me to pick up some Double Barrel Ale.

55427A6C-DB51-49BD-ABB6-155C04ACE6B4_zps

It's fermented in oak barrels, and you definitely pick up the oak as you drink. Overall, it's a very smooth and flavorful beer. One of my faves!

Nice. I haven't had a chance to try the DBA yet.

The weather has been nasty and cold and snowy here, so it's been a good time to curl up by the fire with some Bells Hopslam. Really good stuff, but frankly I think it's a bit overrated given the hype.

I haven't tried the DBA yet either, but I'm surely going to after that recomendation. The Union Jack is very high on my list of favorite IPAs these days.

We don't seem to get Bell's down here, usually I have to get it when I'm in the midwest. Pliny is the same way when it comes to hype. Essentially the hype is right. It is the best IPA or actually DIPA I've had. And that is what the hype says. But since it is hype, you expect it to be far and beyond better than anything you've ever had, and it's not. But when you sit back and think about it is still the best (on my list). That just doesn't automatically mean that second place isn't really damn good too.

SR

Hello Everyone!! I am a huge fan of beer and got the belly to prove it!LOL The beer that is in my fridge now is Smuttynose Bouncey House IPA. I got it last night at the store and its pretty good. I am a big fan of the Sweetwater IPAs. I do have some local brewery's around my area. One is called Blue Tick Brewery and it is one of my friends breweries. He does some really good brews and all of them are in the higher gravity around 6 and up. My work has a brewery that been around for 2 years and we just build a new larger brewery for distribution. I work for a 5 star resort named Blackberry Farm. If you seen the new SI swimsuit that just came out a lot of the pictures was shot here. There is a few more breweries in my area. Smoky Mountain Brewery and restaurant. There brew has won a ton of awards and they also have great pizza. Another is Calfkiller Brewing a little ways away but great beer. I would have to say my favorite style of beer is IPA and all time favorite beer is Sam Adams October Fest. Will be following this thread. Later Guys.

• Like 1

Cool, I've been to the Smoky Mountain Brewery locations in both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg before. Neat places. And I'm familiar with Blackberry Farm, I've riden by there on motorcycle trips. East Tennessee is a great area for riding.

A couple of the more unique beers I've had recently:

2005 J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale. This is a 10 year aged, bottle conditioned barleywine. It's super sweet and rich. It's like drinking desert. Nice to try, but it's a sipper.

Also had a 2009 Goose Island Pere Jacques recently. This one aged well, it's a belgian dubbel, but it is very smooth and rich thanks to the aging.

• Like 1

I've pickup up a few new ones over the last couple of weeks:

Abita Wrought Iron IPA

IMG_0378_zpsiqresest.jpg

Stone Delicious IPA

IMG_0381_zpsnsacuejt.jpg

Ska Decadent Imperial IPA

IMG_0402_zpsmpfwckxu.jpg

There are more....but I cannot drink them all at once!

SR

I am jealous. I have not even seen any new beers in the last several weeks. I may have to go out with my brewing partners this weekend and have a brew. Life took a giant dump on me recently and I have been too busy to look for anything new and have to be too responsible to have more than one or two at a time.

I'm sorry to hear that Jerry. That's a drag on several levels. You guys should probably smoke a brisket while you have that brew. It won't cure any problems, but it sure makes them taste better for a while.

SR

I tried a few things from around here. I have have yet to find anything from Texas that just knocks me out, with the possible exception of Shiner's Ruby Redbird. But still, there are so many out there--maybe i just haven't found it yet.

From Goliad, Redfish IPA. It's better than Budwieser and I like the label.

IMG_0405_zps6vf6m6nd.jpg

From the piny woods of East Texas, Cedar Creek's Elliott's phoned home pale ale. This is interesting and has potential.

IMG_0409_zpsru9hc03m.jpg

And from here in Houston, Buffolo Bayou's More Cowbell Imperial IPA. This is actually pretty good. SNL anyone?

IMG_0407_zpsujenvrpa.jpg

And better than all the above, we finally get Sweetwater IPA from Atlanta.

IMG_0410_zpsu7afnwqo.jpg

SR