NorthStar 8-string headless

OK, I'm not one of the best when it comes to build threads, but as I already does this in a lokal guitar forum for the customer I might at well share with you guys too.

This is a build based on my NorthStar body. However it is going to be a headless guitar with compound scale (fanned frets) and 8-Stings. Oh, and compound radius too. Here's a drawing

Skaumlrmavbild2014-07-06kl151228_zpse6af

Body wood, Brazilian cedar

Body top, Masur Birch, a quite common birch burl in Finland and Sweden

Neck is going to be multi laminated, with a lot of things going on, but mainly maple with mahogany stringer

The customer got to choose from one of these striped mahogany fretboards

IMG_0927_zpsecea38c4.jpg

Body being glued up

IMG_0936_zpse2200581.jpg

IMG_0937_zps23a4016a.jpg

EDIT:Forgot, hardware from fellow Swede Ola Strandberg and it will also have an EndurNeck profile, that Ola is kind enough to let me license for this build. Or anyone that just pay his quite reasonable fee.

Body left to dry

IMG_0939_zps092531c5.jpg

while I turn my attention to the top. First clean it up a bit on the planer

IMG_0931_zps50319a6e.jpg

The burl makes the birch extremely hard. So hard, in fact, that the band saw didn't had enough power to complete the job. So I had to hand saw it, quite a bit of work...

IMG_0933_zpsa79bb9f2.jpg

After even more cleaning up with the Wagner Safe-T and the planer:

IMG_0953_zps1e929f99.jpg

Starting to work on the fretboard. For custom compound scales I print the CAD and glue it to the board

IMG_0971_zpsae5402fc.jpg

Clamp the board to a table, clamp a steel ruler right up to the printed line, score the wood with a sharp knife.

IMG_0978_zpsc00cfae9.jpg

I then continue with to a thin saw. This saw is thinner than the fret saw, so thin that it tracks the knife cut good but wide enough to give the fret saw enough guidance later on

IMG_0981_zps805b9674.jpg

And then it's time for the fret saw

IMG_0982_zps6369de3c.jpg

Cutting of the excess 1

IMG_0984_zps8282595f.jpg

Cutting of the excess 2

IMG_0985_zpsb1bc21df.jpg

A bit of cleaning up on the belt sander and you can see what fretboard the customer chose

IMG_0987_zpsd8c0471e.jpg

Fret board cornea rounded over

IMG_0990_zpsad7f5883.jpg

I use the router table, a flush trim bit and a template with a 16mm radius

I rout for the truss rod on the router table, first the narrower 6mm rout all along the truss rod length.

IMG_0992_zps6f67a854.jpg

and then a 8 mm bit for the adjustment nut of the trussrod

IMG_0994_zpsdeb873f8.jpg

a nice and tight fit

IMG_0995_zps60ee757b.jpg

As I have more compound radius fretboards coming up I decided it was finally time to build a radius jig. I opted for the on-top-of-the-router-table-version. As it was the first test I did a very "ghetto" style hinge.That will be upgraded before next use.

IMG_0996_zps5ca355b8.jpg

16-20" radius done in a few minutes. On the other hand it took me three hours to build the jig...

Here you can see how the bit sits inside a tube that steers the jig.

IMG_0997_zpsc53a8249.jpg

The surface of the fretboard is a bit rough, bit I don't think it takes more than a few minutes of sanding to clean this up.

IMG_0998_zpsd38431d5.jpg

OH, this is how I made the neck blank (totally forgot to share that):

I glue thin maple and walnut veneers, 0.5mm thick to 0.5mm thick graphite, one on each side.

IMG_0947_zps0e58f2b6.jpg

This is the mahogany used. I almost feel bad using a flame mahogany for this...

IMG_0948_zps2bd075a9.jpg

I then glue the thin laminates to the mahogany. The square steel tubes are used as clamping cauls throughout the process to ensure perfecty straight pieces.

IMG_0950_zps52358874.jpg

I now have pre-fab stringers with thin brown, thin black, thin white, 5mm brown, thin white, thin black and finally thin brown color. Two of those get laminated between flame maple.

IMG_0973_zpsbc5dcc15.jpg

the walnut didn't became as visible as I had hoped, but I think it turned out pretty good anyway.

IMG_0974_zps0ee713df.jpg

I mark the outline of the body on the neck blank

IMG_0999_zpsace17cf1.jpg

I drill and use a forester bit to make divits for the hardware to rest inside

IMG_1001_zpsd2e32c07.jpg

A bit of cleaning up on the other side. That Festool count sink (is that the right name) gotta be the best in the word. It centers perfectly and always leave a totally smooth bevel.

IMG_1002_zps9289143d.jpg

Caulk in the truss rod slot to stop any vibrations. Tape to make sure I don't get caulk on the wood as that will stop the wood from adhering.

IMG_1005_zps2136fa50.jpg

Press the truss rod in, remove excess caulk, remove tape

IMG_1006_zps78b7c793.jpg

Now the freeboard is being glued to the neck blank in the usual fashion, using small nails in the fet slots as guides

IMG_1003_zpse35770e7.jpg

I use a LMII aluminum beam as clamping caul. This is after all the clamps have been removed.

IMG_1007_zps5e8d440d.jpg

I always use epoxy for fretboards as I don't want to have any water there that can potentially cup the fretboard.

A quick trip to the band saw to remove most of the excess

IMG_1008_zps11c9268b.jpg

And another trip to the router table to clean everything up

IMG_1009_zps7c341094.jpg

IMG_1010_zps68fd984a.jpg

IMG_1011_zps803179ce.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, my bad, Striped ebony, not mahogany! I don't think I would trust mahogany to hold the frets in and certainly not to stand up to the wear and tear of long time fretboard action.

A bit more work done

I glue the top with a new toy, the LMI Plate Joining jig.

IMG_1014_zpsfcf7b005.jpg

I will write a review of this tool when I'm done testing it but I can give away the biggest benefit compared to my old method of clamping batons to the work bench and gluing the tops there: I can put the workpiece away while curing and free up the space on my bench for other work

IMG_1015_zps19c02f73.jpg

And then its time for fret markers. The customer only wants side markers as the fretboard looks so nice. A center finder ruler is great for finding the right spot

IMG_1016_zpsb942d84b.jpg

A simple makeshift jig for drilling all holes in a straight line

IMG_1021_zps2f335432.jpg

I'm using 4mm aluminium dots. I cut those from a rod, glue them in with super glue and use a small hammer to tap them in place

IMG_1022_zps601c7f5f.jpg

Fast forward in time (about two hours for the glue in the top joint to dry). I band saw the top to rough size and shape and sand the gluing surface completely flat.

IMG_1017_zps93d6be4d.jpg

Titebond! Looks a bit like a christmas gingerbread...

IMG_1018_zps90e396cf.jpg

and lots of clamps

IMG_1019_zps17900b54.jpg

Now that has to cure over night. Next step is to sand the top to final thickness, levelness and smoothness (lots of "-ness" there). Then sit back and wait for the hardware to arrive.

Love the top resawing setup :D

Yeah, less is more, or something like that.

I totally forgot that I had some spalted Masur Birch to ping to you Peter! Yipes. The stuff I have is far softer than the "normal" Birch because of the spalting.

Love that neck blank. Pinstripes are always a classy touch.

Thanks, I had also totally forgot about that. Well you'll have to bring those and yourself over to Stockholm some time!

Wow, awesome work!

Such a very nice top and fretboard. Looking forward for more pictures.

Thanks!

Dang you and your easy access to masur birch!!!! Gorgeous!

Chris

Thanks! Thats one of the few benefits from living in cold scandinavia...

Body cleaned up, from out of the clamps via band sawing to sanded with robo sander and top sanded smooth and wetted with naphtha

IMG_1025_zps4bd326c3.jpg

IMG_1026_zps7e596fec.jpg

IMG_1027_zpsf20ae8ba.jpg

IMG_1030_zps4f341fa2.jpg