Laced Redwood Jazzmaster

I soaked the headstock veneer in water overnight, then taped it to a rubber drum from my spindle sander to create the curve. Worked perfectly. Then I used the drum to clamp the curved veneer to the headstock along with some flat wood scraps. Clamped up the headstock and body and glued them up.

0720141241_zpse5fcc00b.jpg

0720141246_zpsd720386c.jpg

0720141255_zps89928b8b.jpg

0719140829_zpsbc807ee3.jpg

Cut the body out on the band saw, then sanded the edges fairly smooth. Still need to clean up a couple spots and then work on the neck pocket, but it's looking good. I didn't cut the headstock veneer perfectly, so I'll need to clean up the edge close to the nut and create a nice straight line.

0720141412a_zps42201c47.jpg

0720141414_zps0c628577.jpg

0720141413a_zpsba269e09.jpg

0720141650_zpsc570be2b.jpg

Looks good so far.

Just a tip for veneer, you dont need anywhere near that amount of tape. I only use like 5 small pieces run vertically along the join.

Also, looks like they werent quite flat or square to each other. Next time clamp them together between 2 pieces of wood and use a long sanding block to get them flat.

Just a heads up, unless you really seal the crap out of that redwood, it will sink into it forever. It is like a sponge. Even after epoxy and 2k clear, it still sunk into the shape of the grain on my last guitar.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind and spend plenty of time sealing it. I just finished a buckeye burl top project and it was the same way.

There wasnt any stain added to that.

I sealed it with epoxy then sanded it flat. Sprayed a few coats of 2k clear, waited for it to dry, then leveled it. Then i hit it with the black burst then clear coated again.

Even through a coat of epoxy and a sealer coat of 2k, it still sunk in and the grain shows through the clear now.

Your test on the scrap is reassuring. The first thing I thought when I noted the amount of glue used for the veneer was the amount of glue that might seep through any cracks, voids or eyes preventing stain from taking to the veneer. Been there.

Yeah, there was seepage in the center line, but not too much. I just haven't taken the time to sand the glue spots out yet, but when wet you don't see them. The top looks so good natural wiped with Naptha, I'm still not certain I'm doing a stain at all. The test pieces I used with red, brown and yellow and the black and yellow piece are subtle.