Laced Redwood Jazzmaster

33 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Its been a while....yes! That looks damn sweet. Simple and flattering to the Redwood.

So how's she settling in as a player?

I couldn't be happier with the tone of this walnut.  It's got some nice bright snappiness to it along with tight lows.  Going from an LP style guitar to this, it is brighter but not so much that I have to EQ the heck out of my amp.  I went through a few bridge pickups before settling on a Dimarzio Norton.  It is a nice match.  That being said, walnut is possibly not as forgiving in that respect whereas an alder or something neutral would work with a wider variety of pickups.

That's the gamble though, but also the most rewarding payoff. Walnut is more "known" as a body wood in how it works, but still not something for everyone, I agree. Alder is simply "safe", so much so that a lot of people call it the perfect wood for a guitar. I'd agree with some of the points made in that one, however what Alder can't do is where some of the more characterful woods can be played.

Bright can be difficult. I have a 5-string bass which is very loud and bright acoustically which needs a bit of dialling back. Still, better than trying to dial IN what isn't there....