Tele Phase Switch Wiring

BillyJ

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can find a good wiring diagram of tele 2 pickups (single coils) 1 Vol, 1 Tone with added DPDT mini switch with 6 lugs for series switching? I was told that the metal neck pup cover would cause hum. The neck pickup has 2 separate wires and not screened single core wire. I have an on/on mini switch.

Here is Seymore Duncan's version. It makes use of a DPDT blade switch instead of a mini but perhaps you can work out that conversion. Note it says to break the connection from the cover to the ground wire and ground the cover separately, but does not illustrate it. I assume that is about the neck cover hum issue.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tele_4ws

SR

A quick scout of the interwebs indicates that Scott's 4-way blade switch is the most common way of doing it, probably because it's simpler and saves you having to drill an extra hole in your control plate.

Found this after a bit of rummaging, but it also requires you lift the ground of the neck pickup cover and re-wire it separately. It's shown as a push/pull pot, but you can substitute your mini toggle for the "block" hanging off the tone pot as drawn. Note the caveat on the usage of the series/parallel switch (ie, pickup selector defeated when pickups in series). Note also that the thin black line going from the upper-left connection of the push/pull, all the way around the outside of the controls, to the lower left of the push/pull is not a wire, as I mistakenly thought on first look - It's just the edges of the control plate when viewed from behind!:

tele-series.jpg

Thanks guys. After looking at the neck pup bottom I could see 3 solder joints 1 was where a thin wire came from the gound lead of the pickup across to the centre solder joint. So this must be where the cover is grounded. So I will snip that hair wire and run a separate ground wire from there to the ground on the volume pot.

Once again, Thanks guys.

Just another couple of questions...I have access to mini switches so will use one of those. So DPDT switch will be used with 6 lugs for soldering. I'm assuming best bet would be for on/on and not on/off/on switch. Also, Bridge Pickup has plate attached, Should I run a ground wire to bridge?

Thanks guys

I'm assuming best bet would be for on/on and not on/off/on switch.

Yep. An on-on DPDT (ie, two positions) is the only switch that will work in that drawing.

Also, Bridge Pickup has plate attached, Should I run a ground wire to bridge?

Nope. You shouldn't need to change anything with the bridge pickup or bridge plate.

• Like 1