Archtop Guitar No 4

I started with a very nice Claro Walnut back and side set that shows a lot of colour on the back plate in particular. The POC is an interesting wood. I've seen a few guitars built with it and I am interested to try it for myself. It certain smells great when times being worked... sort of a citrus smell.

Here's a shot of the back, soundboard and neck:

8A4AF5E9-2D7F-4416-8FBB-0020F64ACC68_zps

I thinned the sides down to about 0.075" and went to work bending them in my bending form:

E42CD651-52F5-4E4D-AEE3-43F5D544BECB_zps

Once bent, I made and glued in the end and neck blocks and made the supports for the two bevels:

163CDECF-580B-4BD6-B111-5D5A9F5D0373_zps

To carve the soundboard and back, I traced on the contour pattern and drilled the profile contour using a 1/4" bit in my drill press. I then went to work with gouges and some curved sole planes:

1E70DE16-01E9-4404-8C15-7453C5762B4F_zps

7B200586-7E9C-488C-A8D8-E0C312F32E4F_zps

6F44B370-D89F-463A-9D4B-BC758D5F8123_zps

FC86FD05-CB5B-446E-8830-16A90CA48732_zps

Edited by Geoff St. Germaine
  • Like 2

Some neck work.

The neck is mahogany with 2 bloodwood strips separated by a mahogany veneer. This neck is built as two pieces - the main part of the neck which is everything up to the neck joint and the separate fretboard extension for the section that sits on the top of the guitar. Pictures will likely explain this better.

0316A964-650B-4166-A955-B59C25F07221_zps

The fretboard extension sits in a joint routed into the top of the neck. I use a top bearing flush trim bit along with a piece of MDF clamped to the top of the neck to act as the guide. The fretboard extension needs to be 5/8" thick to give the proper angle over the bridge sitting 1" above the body, which is all dependent on the carve profile and neck angle. I'm trying to get an angle of about 14 degrees between the path of the strings on the neck to the bridge and and path they take past the bridge to the tailpiece. I route the joint to 5/8" and the extension is a tiny amount thicker and is planed level after the glue up.

23845871-CBB8-4FC2-B5FD-2116B9A4E1CB_zps

04FC1BC8-C379-4CB9-B205-A638673F3244_zps

A61645B6-3561-421C-98AE-86FE2E9D2BD9_zps

The last ting to do before gluing the extension is to cut the dovetail into the neck. I have a jig that aligns the neck based on the truss rod slot that I use.

9CBA13AE-8E4A-42F9-B291-C4ED6FDDB413_zps

Thanks for looking.

Very cool. I really like the second guitar you have pictured there, It looks pretty awesome! Are these guitars braced in a similar fashion/structure to acoustics? Are you selling these instruments or just working on perfecting your design? Ever thought about a 7 or 8 string jazz box? Pretty nice stuff sir.

-Brett

Thanks Brett. I actually have a 7 string in the works that will be essentially the same as the build I'm documenting here except with a cutaway and a different wood selection. An 8 string archtop would be interesting... I've ever seen one.

The bracing of the previous three guitars is parallel bracing, while this one is x-braced. Unlike a steel string acoustic, there are just the two braces on the soundboard and nothing on the back plate.

Here's a shot from the first one I built:

A3523634.jpg

I sold the guitar pictured in my first post here. Based on the customers review I'm satisfied that the workmanship and build quality are high enough to be marketed. At this point I'm researching what the best approach to this would be.

• Like 1

The plates are mostly carved now. I use a 3/4" Forstner with the centre tip ground off to remove the bulk of the material. Once I get the tool marks out the plate is down to around 1/4" thick. After that I establish the taper between the centre and sides of the rim of roughly 3/16" to 5/32". After that I carefully remove material until it reaches a point where the tap frequency starts to drop quickly as material is removed. At this point I consider the soundboard ready for bracing. Right now I'm finalizing the taper on the top plate.

BD272911-C0DF-4A4A-B8C2-AEF6D9102C0F_zps

On the back plates I've been leaving them about 3/16 uniform in thickness across the plate. On the guitar pictured in my first post I really noticed the difference in tone between the guitar played with the back held against my body and the guitar played on an angle with only the rims touching the body (in typical jazz fashion). The improved warmth and complexity was immediately noticeable even to some non-musicians who saw and heard the guitar. With this in mind I hope to liven up the back plate even more with this guitar.

Here you can clearly see that not all of the tool marks have been removed.

0C40A3B1-DA0C-4CFD-B0DB-D4669BCEB143_zps

Something I'm trying with this guitar is call a flying buttress. Basically it is a system or supports that stiffen the side structure. In this case I'm using carbon fibre rods. They are extremely light but add a lot of additional stiffness. Given the low cost of these rods and the ease of installation I will almost certainly be using these from now on.

5053A085-1D9E-4518-A73B-DE28AED1979C_zps

DF0764EF-5176-4575-A2DF-12EFD11640E9_zps

The sides are complete without final sanding to true the edges for gluing the soundboard and back plates.

• Like 1

Very cool, are those carbon fiber rods Arrow shafts?

Yeah the finished product you posted there is pretty nice work. I'd love to hear any audio clips of these you have :)

The 7 string sounds pretty nifty, I'm a Low B guy at least, and yeah I thought a low F# on a jazz box would pretty neat, though I have nothing against a high A either. Thanks for sharing those pictures of your bracing, I'm always interested!

-Brett

Brett - I use the pulltruded carbon fibre rods from LMII. I think they're around $5 for a 24" rod, which is enough for a guitar. I'll include the 7 string in this thread once I start bending the sides, which will be probably this weekend.

Scott - Thanks a lot! I did the thread for the last two archtops over on mylespaul. I figured I'd do this one here.

My other three archtops were parallel braced jazz boxes. They sounded nice, but certainly in that jazz niche. My aim here is to get a sound that is a little warmer and more versatile. To this end, I'm already using x-bracing vice parallel bracing, but additionally I am going to thin the plates even more. The goal here is to arrive at a lower pitched tap tone to hopefully improve the bass response of the plates. The jazz boxes are very mid focused guitars to cut through an ensemble. With this one I'd like to be a little closer to the response of a steel string archtop.

On my previous tops the centre plate thickness was 3/16" and this tapered to 5/32" on the soundboard and remained constant on the back plate. For this guitar my initial plates will be 5/32" with no taper. I'm planning to string this guitar up "in the white" to then further tune the plates thickness based on the instruments sound.

Here are a few pictures of the plates. Right now they sit at about 3/16" thick.

E95F701F-27FC-45C5-A2BB-2C47630968D2_zps

07710278-9A43-40CF-B64B-1476358990CF_zps

DBCCE887-D768-48E3-BD28-F3B79E544FEB_zps

F094CB92-1D57-4A80-8F4E-92120F230DE1_zps

278E125D-834F-4FA8-B11F-CA6C6BD73F38_zps

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

I'm still working on the purfling installation... It's tedious work. I have all of the inner purfling installed. Next I will be installing the outer purfling with the 2.5mm Teflon spacing strip between the inner and outer purfling. The Teflon strip is then removed and the MOP strips are installed. I've been watching some videos of people installing MOP and Abalone purfling and it doesn't look terribly difficult, just more tedious work. Here are a few photos of the progress.

Body with last of the inner purfling installed with the glue still drying. These pins make installing it a snap!

5B7AB292-748D-42B7-B49D-9EA06F735442_zps

You can see the outline where the arm rest bevel and fret access/faux cutaway bevels are pretty clearly.

The inside of the guitar. A little clean up still before I seal the inside before gluing on the back plate.

2EC2010C-27B9-4D7B-ABC4-7AD027075BE5_zps

A close up of the X-bracing cross. I've seen something similar to this done on a few guitars. Since the X-bracing will be quite visible with how the "f-holes" will blend into the sides, I wanted to have something interesting to look at which still does the intended job properly.

DA0DBD5A-E15D-4BC3-A678-EFC1F15D8441_zps

Thanks for looking!

• Like 2

Working on the headstock and fretboard binding. I'm installing the inner black/bloodwood/black purfling. Once the inner purfling is finished on the headstock, I'll glue on the fretboard. The inlays are installed, but need some clean up. The flower (Gerbera) has special meaning to the future owner of this guitar, who doesn't know it is being built.

8BE2DAE3-8F3C-4D47-B5AD-8D91F8FF02D8_zps

67CD93F6-B868-4171-B012-A29B1BC984DA_zps

• Like 1

Some more progress:

Working on the binding/purfling on the fretboard and headstock. I was not sure if the amount of MOP on the fretboard would be too much with the 2.5 mm purfling and the block inlays, but I'm happy with how it is coming out. Borderline-over-the-top is what I'm going for.

CAF81DDF-CE6F-4761-A96C-47B333A88893_zps

35D24049-DC8E-4DA4-8C1C-0A4C3EBE8FE5_zps

I also got the portion of the "f-holes that extend into the sir completed. I was also going to do a upper bout side sound port, but I've decided against it.

D96393FF-BCC7-4EDA-8065-517005C52D8B_zps

3F63BBF9-0D76-4306-B8A8-EB631FA9A12A_zps

I've got the back fully carved, I'm just finishing the inside of the plate before gluing it on. For the neck I've got to re-radius the fretboard, recut the fret slots through the purfling and then attach the bloodwood binding before getting started on neck carving.

Thanks for following along.

• Like 2

Man you've just got to love claro walnut! Sooo many details and inventive ideas working together here. I'm dying to see how you complete the treble cut-away (or not) area. And you've got to give us an interior shot before you close it up so we can see how the F-holes, binding, bracing and kerfing all works together.

This is so cool! :hyper

SR

Man you've just got to love claro walnut! Sooo many details and inventive ideas working together here. I'm dying to see how you complete the treble cut-away (or not) area. And you've got to give us an interior shot before you close it up so we can see how the F-holes, binding, bracing and kerfing all works together.

This is so cool! :hyper

SR

What Scott said. Loving this build.

Thanks a lot guys for the comments, guys. I'm hoping to close the box in the next day or two and I'll be sure to get some shots of the inside.

Scott, I'm also curious to see exactly how the treble side "cutaway" looks when it's done. I have the concept in my head, but sometimes the execution turns out a little differently.

Thanks a lot guys for the comments, guys. I'm hoping to close the box in the next day or two and I'll be sure to get some shots of the inside.

Scott, I'm also curious to see exactly how the treble side "cutaway" looks when it's done. I have the concept in my head, but sometimes the execution turns out a little differently.

That happens to me too. The guitar will often tell me what it wants to do......and sometimes its ideas are better than mine.

SR