Cherry Bomb

Muzz

Strange thing with this timber the dark parts in the grain become the lightest parts when the angle is changed, funny, is there a name for that?

Chatoyancy. You are seeing mahogany's version of what curly or quilted maple does.

SR

Fantastic stuff, it's like those cards that you angle back and forth and the picture changes.

Some more two pack finish arrived just in time, I was running out, this stuff is easy, like it says, just mix and brush it on.

GcCjCL3.jpg

First I have to grab the neck

oa2kitg.jpg

Tape the decal in place

29zZPBg.jpg

Peel off the backing and stick it down

LATGF5B.jpg

Slathering on the finish, Rustins stinks so it is good to have a lot of ventilation, and I have a sandwich of a blanket and cushions between two tarps under the hanging guitar pieces, if I put that there, the gods will not knock my guitar off the hook

I2fw5ju.jpg

first coat on the decal

PwAs4L1.jpg

• Like 1

Cant wait to see it all put together. Love the name!! :P

Heya Chris, I have a similar logo on two other guitars, It's funny watching peoples' expressions change as they look at the logo, priceless when you see the penny drop :D

Won't be long now to assembly, here is the body about an hour ago, the two pack reaction has catalysed and solidified, I am listening to Slash's new album as I polish.

huRpg9s.jpg

And here is where I am now, back flattened with 600 wet and dry

N1pyuOK.jpg

• Like 1

Some more two pack finish arrived just in time, I was running out, this stuff is easy, like it says, just mix and brush it on.

I wish I could get that stuff on my side of the pond, I'd love to try it.

SR

It's great stuff Scott, you can polish the day after you coat it, fantastic.

Levelled the finish with 600 grit, then polished with 1000 then 2000.

zAqAdrb.jpg

Buffing up my body

yv6C85H.jpg

s4Nuy73.jpg

y4rfYmV.jpg

LWeOl2d.jpg

• Like 2

SR

You prolly can. It'll just cost you a crapload in shipping.

SR

You prolly can. It'll just cost you a crapload in shipping.

Might be worth looking into and find out what the shipping would cost.

The last time I checked there were some British sellers on ebay and the shipping was horrendous.

Buffing up my body

If only it were that easy......for us old folks.

SR

It's not that easy for young and old :D:D:D the neck is buffed up, note to self and anyone else, do not use a Dremmel with a felt pad to buff up, I melted a few spots n the headstock before I realised what was happening, managed to spot fill and re-polish, there are a few little spots left. Thank goodness I did not rip through the decal, then I would have been howling

ACH2IEh.jpg

Hammered in the back stop holders and tried out, all OK

o7HRRi6.jpg

Putting the earth wire in

yfXR3g8.jpg

Putting in the pickups now

HQUZF7K.jpg

• Like 1

It is indeed Scott, I played Black Dog from Led Zeppelin on it as it's first song, great way to welcome it to the rock world. It still needs strap buttons and perhaps a truss rod cover, but I am calling it, it's finished.

MS3Qt12.jpg

I went and picked up the ginormous case you need for these sort of guitars

TmzGJE4.jpg

I'll take some better photos when the sun is out

DnEaNBv.jpg

kf4YEg2.jpg

2btnvp4.jpg

99aRZXX.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful finish. That is one to be proud of for sure!

SR

Cheers Scott, it was great to have you keeping me company along the way :)

Looks very nice... any photo from the back? :D

Cheers psiko T, only one of the headstock, I will take some more on the weekend and post them then :)

Beautiful!! How does it sound and play?

Cheers Chris, Oh yeah baby, big phat tone with very clear articulation, sustain city, nice low action :)

nb1WUoX.jpg

zrbvy6T.jpg

KYPrHKC.jpg

rgqSr3l.jpg

What pups did you install? I thinking for my next build it will be an explorer style.

You should definitely do an Explorer style next :)

The neck pickup is a Pure-Tone Scorpion, and the bridge pick-up is a Woosung Chorus (WSC) hexbucker, love those things, just very hard to find.

SubSnMC.jpg

• Like 1

Almost time to play!

SR

Quite reflectively I cleaned up and packed away all my guitar making stuff today, until next time. So what did I learn from this build? I love drawing plans, I don't think I will ever buy a plan, or a template, it's part of the experience to do that stuff yourself. I learnt that you can put a scarf joint into the headstock and convinced myself that if you get the neck and fretboard straight, you don't have to level the frets. And I learnt that if you spend your spare time doing something other than playing video games, you can have something to show for that time at the end of it. I hope you have enjoyed watching some slabs of wood get gouged into something that looks like Adrian Smith's 1980's guitar and that for those of you who have yet to make a guitar I hope that I have convinced you that it is possible with very little equipment.

And you are right Scott, it's time to play so I will leave you with Black Dog getting played on Cherry Bomb.

• Like 1

I'll bet that was sweet....but it was blocked in my country on copyright grounds. :angry:

I enjoyed the ride Muzz, and look forward to the next one. I hope you didn't pack your stuff too deeply away.

SR

Wow, Youtube is getting more restrictive, glad to have you along for the ride, guitar making gear packed away not very deeply :)

That did indeed work.

And I'm jealous of your playing. The guitar is a beast. and the pups sound great--clear articulate with a great bark and bite.

SR

That's lovely feedback Scott, I got the bridge pick up from a shop that used to be in the Blue Mountains, the shop's name was "Stairway to Kevin".

Sounds Great and nice playing!!

Also lovely feedback Chris, It's funny you spend so long working on a guitar wondering what it is going to sound like, it's nice when you get a pleasant surprise when you plug it in for the first time.