Cherry Bomb

Muzz

That stuff's not bad, light crisp and refreshing.

SR

It´s not bad at all, yes a real summer afternoon beer, great with barbequed prawns. I am over in Barcelona at the moment having a little two week holiday and seeing how many Spanish beers I can sample. It´s coming up to paella time, hopefully by the time I get back my router handle will have arrived and I can do some more work on this guitar. Adios for now :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's taking a long time to finish, but it looks awesome, you can see everyone straining their necks looking up at those enormous towers. Really great detail on the other side too, some fantastic big snakes and lizards as gargoyles on the wall.

Just prior to glue

1ashRZZ.jpg

Glued and clamped up

tJKSIC2.jpg

I can beat ya with the church - I have one about 5 miles away from me that's a tad older - it dates from 670AD & has been in almost constant use since (all but about 10 years in the 19th century). It's obviously not as grand as Barcelona. My parents lived in the cottage at the right of the picture for about 2 years when they were 1st married. Any way hurry up & finish this thing - I love destroyers!

IMG_2266.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escomb_Church

Edited by supplebanana
  • Like 1

Measuring out my 650 mm scale, put a dot with a silver pen at the spot

vAFdhNO.jpg

Squared up against the dot

b18YOi5.jpg

then drew a line through the dot

B1G2b5a.jpg

checked, rubbed out with metho if necessary and redid, when all good, cut the slot on my home made mitre box,

0fGi6M1.jpg

I have a line drawn with a thin texta on the saw to know when to stop cutting

3gImuwO.jpg

ET8wse7.jpg

now to relax on the the banana lounge

AxKmnbf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finding the midline on the headstock, lined up the ruler along the neck midline, BOWWNHDII aligned with ruler, ruler pushed down against headstock and BOWWNHDII, then line drawn

4eQpAAT.jpg

Tracing headstock shape, that little nick on the bottom of the template will need to be fixed with plastic wood before it's used as a router template.

o5IFleM.jpg

Ikh8Gq2.jpg

Wow it is quiet on ProjectGuitar these days, feel free to stop by and tell me how life is treating you :)

I got this for Christmas,

vvtedx4.jpg

Foo Fighters Double Album as well as Motley Crue, Too Fast For Love on vinyl, oh I am loving the vinyl trend, they sound so much better than CDs

My JCM800 was making a lot of noise, I opened it up to see if I could see what was wrong,

I2TeQf5.jpg

can you see the fault? It's pretty obvious when you catch it

What the %&*! happened here??????

9j2E9K4.jpg

Unsoldered that abomination of a treble pot and put a new one in

7M0XM6J.jpg

Connected it up

gGRlxKc.jpg

and all is well

hM1NGVn.jpg

and I hacked around the headstock shape with a jigsaw

hLVDabI.jpg

Fantastic that you have found the time to get away, where did your travels take you? And was it fun?

Marilyn is scary isn't she, she was in La Rambla, just up from the port. So great to be able to get beer in every cafe, I'm missing that.

So I put the machine head holes in, measuring the spots, the only time I use the ancient length system. Before I put masking tape on my guitar project I stick it to my T shirt twice first, so I don't pull fibres out of the wood when I take the tape off, very important for fretboards.

QrAt075.jpg

Drilling 1 mm diameter centre guide holes

1dgJJaV.jpg

Following 10 mm deep with a 10 mm Brad Point drill.

VpkKZdg.jpg

Using a POMDFWAHDII to steady the hand drill from the other side because the headstock won't fit in the drill press, top up. The Brad point follows the guide hole and meets up, hopefully exactly with the hole from the other side, and there should be no chip outs.

AojDI2P.jpg

IaMMIEg.jpg

YVP7UEE.jpg

Have a great New Year's Eve PGers

Fantastic that you have found the time to get away, where did your travels take you? And was it fun?

We went back to Missouri to visit family for Christmas, her's in Branson and mine in the Kansas City area. And sure it was fun, as that sort of thing goes. It doesn't rate with seeing man legs under Marilyn's skirt, but hooking up with family is good when you live 700 miles apart.

I did get to bring back some new brews to enjoy and post up in my beer! thread.

Life is good.

SR

BTW, I suppose it is already New Year's Eve morn at your house.

sr

We went back to Missouri to visit family for Christmas, her's in Branson and mine in the Kansas City area. And sure it was fun, as that sort of thing goes. It doesn't rate with seeing man legs under Marilyn's skirt, but hooking up with family is good when you live 700 miles apart.

I did get to bring back some new brews to enjoy and post up in my beer! thread.

Life is good.

SR

BTW, I suppose it is already New Year's Eve morn at your house.

sr

It's fantastic to catch up with friends and family especially when they are a distance away. Glad to hear you had such a great time, Isn't it nice to have good company, family around, lot's of beer, life is good. Yes, it was New Year's Eve morning then, I got lots done in the morning and then in the evening went to a friends apartment and sat on the balcony and watched the fireworks, good times.

Marking in the rounded corners on the neck, using the roller from a router bit

uNdQgF6.jpg

Sanding until the pencil lines disappear

uXTMvnY.jpg

ZEg2Tn5.jpg

Marking the centre line on the fretboard and lines that are 3.5 mm wider each side than the neck

gnn4GL0.jpg

Cut the sides off the fretboard with the router. Bit of tear out, I heard the high pitched whine of the router just before it happened but didn't manage to back off in time, luckily the tear out missed final territory by over a mm

Pg52srM.jpg

Putting the dots in with a 6 mm brad point bit

xVGpXcn.jpg

AwyOwDQ.jpg

Epoxyed in

BEYx1Lv.jpg

Preparation for gluing on the fretboard, lined up the fretboard on the body, clamped and drilled 1 mm holes in the 2nd and 21st fret slot. Put a slightly thicker needle in the drill chuck

KsyshJm.jpg

and drilled it in

uy34NKL.jpg

Same for the 2nd slot,

I don't want that truss rod to rattle, so soft silicone goes in

gWWps8P.jpg

Masking the channel before the glue gets spread on

VS0S3iJ.jpg

Bit of greaseproof paper to stop glue going into the nut

ecWOw2t.jpg

Clamping caul on, this caul has dense rubber pads on it to evenly distribute the pressure and not put indents in the fretboard and two holes to accommodate the needles

kzMKB4p.jpg

As soon as the clamps were on, I pulled out the needles and the greaseproof paper, I don't want those sticking

XMU39Wk.jpg

• Like 1

Radiusing the fretboard

I don't want that radiusing block to waggle so I have a slide guide

wVMDJWV.jpg

When that centre line gets rubbed off it's nearly time to stop

b78bfNA.jpg

$%^& if I had sunk that in 0.5 mm deeper I would have been fine, I'll have to dig that out, luckily I have one spot left to replace it

n2GmCAt.jpg

Stopped every so often to straighten things out with my Fat Max

6Q0e7yj.jpg

came out OK, there is still 4 mm fretboard overhang on either side, that still has to be taken off

Bh94hKg.jpg

That ruler is flat out like a lizard drinking

rjHIVSI.jpg