Alcohol dissolved dyes and plastic binding and applying oil with dyes?

ekieegan

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and look forward to some interesting reading. If my question has been covered already, I apologize in advance. I guess my question is this: do water or alcohol soluble dyes stick to plastic binding when applied? Do I need to tape the binding off? I have sprayed nitro before, but never done a hand finished build with dyes and oil finishes. Is it possible to apply dyes and oils on the same build? If so, when is the best time to apply the dye? Like I said, the only finishes I am familiar with are sprayed sealers and nitrocellulose. Any info and advice is welcome. Thanks!

Dyes will discolor the surface of plastic binding, but typically do not penetrate. Most just scrape the color off the binding but masking is always an option. Dyes and oil finishes are certainly possible, just make sure the dye has comepletely dried before applying the oil finish. Do be aware that an oil finish does not provide the same amount of protection as a film finish like nitro or polyurethane. A good ding can get down into the raw wood.

SR

Excellent info. Well I have another option I guess. I like a sprayed finish, but it's getting cold in upstate New York. I would have to build a spraying area that I would need to heat OR I suppose I can hand apply the nitro or poly? Can the results be thin and good with this method if sanding and buffing is done well? I just worry about getting too thick of a finish. Thanks Scott!

Absolutely you can hand apply nitro or poly and get a pro looking finish. The leveling stage will take longer because the surface will start more uneven than spraying. Also with poly you may get some witness lines. Tru-Oil is another option for wipe on finish that builds a film and can look awesome.

SR

I just moved from Syracuse at the beginning of the year and I always preferred to wait until it warmed back up to spray, but that is just my preference. I would probably get too frustrated at the level sanding of a hand applied finish, but that is just me.