Entry for December's Guitar Of The Month contest is now open!
http://www.projectguitar.com/forums/topic/49144-guitar-of-the-month-december-2017/

westhemann

Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

westhemann    304

Thought I would start 11 a bit early because I wanted to ask about something and didn't want it cut off short.

So Elon Musk.That guy is really impressing me.How many people can be as dedicated as that to moving towards the future?I have never seen another man in my lifetime so willing to put it all on the line for something so many(foolish people) think is folly.

That guy IMO is what every man should be.If we had a dozen more like him I would wager my entire life's earnings that we would be well on our way to spreading through the Solar System within this century.

• Like 1

westhemann    304

So I finally got around to pairing my new Bluetooth headphones with all of my tablets and stuff.Surprisingly my Fire phone sounds the best through them.Amazon has a lot of obscure(and not so obscure) metal available to stream for free if you have Prime.

Been riding the hell out of my stationary bike and jamming to Somewhere in Time.

ScottR    1,366

Fast being a relative term.

Take space travel. It takes a ton of speed to blast away from the planet and maintain an orbit. The speed is relative to the earth--how many miles of surface you cover in how much time. You cannot feel it in space but you can see it as long as you are traveling around the world. But break free of orbit and escape the solar system? How fast are you going out there? There is no friction or pressure of pushing through air. Nothing within light years to see how fast you pass it by. At that point are you even moving? Does speed even have meaning? Is anything else moving?

That staionare bike may indeed be the fastest thing ever.

SR

westhemann    304

I want to hurtle through space really bad.Towards distant solar systems to check for habitable planets preferably,but in a pinch just aimlessly rambling in a big ship would be perfectly fine.

ScottR    1,366

I get the lure of aimless rambling. But doing it in the great void with an unchanging view would begin to feel like a prison cell pretty quickly for me. Actually arriving at a bunch of new places would be cool.

I think aimlessly rambling though various wildernesses on this planet would be a blast.

SR

westhemann    304

Speaking of science fiction,how the hell could a person read the book Dune and then come up with that godawful crapfest of a movie...horrible acting,horrible casting...really bad special effects...and a really strange interpretation to top it all off.

Not to mention the important stuff they just left off and inane crap they added.

Tim37    127

I was told they actually filmed the entire book then edited it down. But honestly after seeing the movie I understand why movie scripts change so much dialog it was almost painful to hear some of the lines spoken but they needed said in the book to make it flow

ScottR    1,366

I loved the books and felt like I had to see the movie....but feel like I didn't gain much from doing so. Luckily it was a long time ago so I don't remember much. I do think they really didn't need many more books after the first three. I stopped reading sequels before they stopped writing them.

SR

ScottR    1,366

I think the moment of silence has been long enough. Roughly 24 hrs without a single post anywhere on the site. Pete would be touched.

SR

ScottR    1,366

I finally got around to looking up Elon Musk. Wow. What a resume. I have heard of most of the stuff he has going, but honestly had not heard his name before. You are correct, Wes. That is a very impressive path he is forging.

SR

ScottR    1,366

I learned something today:

Fahrenheit set zero at the lowest temperature he could get a water and salt mixture to reach. He then used a (very slightly incorrect) measurement of the average human body temperature, 96 degrees, as the second fixed point in the system. The resulting schema set the boiling point of water at 212 degrees, and the freezing point at 32 degrees.

I'm a little surprised that I've never actually wondered how that scale came about.

SR

westhemann    304

I think it's four per year starting in 2025.Mars One is not a Musk project though,I don't think.At the rate SpaceX is going they will likely be on Mars before Mars One.Only chance I have is to buy a ticket,and I don't think those tickets will be affordable in my lifetime.

I would go to Mars because it's the only thing going,but I would rather live on a roving space station.