Entry for December 2019's Guitar Of The Month is open - ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

That's awesome. Guthrie is so freaking cool it's not even funny. My top three are probably him, Brian May and Lifeson. 

In other news: I found an Ampex R2R for a pittance (~$30). It works great and I was going to use it until I opened it up and saw the tube compliment. After scraping my jaw off the floor, my Laney TT20 head now has an Ampex Bugle Boy (treble cleff) in all three gain slots and sings like a *@%$#$^@ ANGEL! I restocked the Ampex with my JJ's and it still sounds great though probably not as audiophile.

:D

On 1/20/2016 at 9:18 AM, Prostheta said:

Audiophile, schmaudiophile. If it sounds good, it is good.

Yep. 

I hate it when I hear or read about how bad the tone of something is.  Just because ist not what you want or expect doesn't make it bad.  

• Like 1

I replaced all the tubes in my twin reverb II a few years back and geared it towards chimy cleans.Turned it from an okay amp into a hell of a blues amp.

I finally am decent enough on my video game that I won my first PvP match in what they call the crucible.

In Destiny you can't hurt another player in any section of the game except crucible.When not in crucible your bullets,grenades,fists,etc have absolutely no effect on any other player.Really cuts down on hard feelings and misbehavior.

But if you want,the crucible is always there,and is a good way to earn weapons,armor,and legendary marks(for buying high end stuff).There are no microtransactions you can make to buy any gear at all,aside from emotes and dance moves(i have Hammer Time and Jazz Hands).

So...just in time they are doing the Iron Banner...which is a temporary event that may last a week or a month,but is meant to increase participation and enjoyment in Crucible..now instead of just winning some gear here and there,you can also complete bounties for legendary marks,experience,and reputation that can help you get better gear...as well as actual really bad ass gear if you excell.

So tomorrow I will basically be spending the entire day trying my hand at getting some of this stuff.They matchmake based on performance so it's not like I'll be getting slaughtered constantly by professional gamers.My last two matches were pretty fair I felt.It jelps that I have cool exotic rifle that increases my move speed and agility so that I can move as fast as some of the other faster classes.(Hunters and Wizards are faster than Titans most times,which gives them a real edge that my extra agility takes away from them.)

So

Enough nerd talk.

Work is slower than normal and the weather has been generally crappy(not today though),but it's almost the time of year to get my ass back to work around the house.At that point I suppose my video game will be old hat enough to where I may be satisfied just with an hour or so every morning before work.Some days I wake up at 3am just to have extra time before work to play.

Wow the politics this year are kinda interesting in a scary kind of way but after Iowa I'm a little less scared that I will be forced to choose between trump and Hillary.  

People have stopped making sense. If it were just a case of picking the best of a bad bunch, surely sense would dictate that none of these GOP muppets actually represent what you could consider to be presidential material? I mean, even if you don't agree with the democrat's policies, surely having a professional representative of the people is a bigger priority?

At this rate, I am confused as to why Palin didn't get elected earlier if people are making such dumb decisions. Or to put that into TrumpTweetSpeak:

"Sarah Palin should have been elected to office earlier because shes got some fantastic people working for her. She really has. The people don't know how to make decisions. Dumb!"

Politics suck.

In my opinion anyone that has what it takes to survive and flourish in politics is not the kind of person you want serving the people, an d the kind of person best suited for true public service would never survive in the political world.

The only way to reverse that is to take the money out of it.

SR

The other day Buter was telling me that he had done an image search for jatoba guitars and a shot of my "Hook Custom" came up. I tried it and it turned out to be a mock up that Hook aka Skullsessions had done during this thread:

which turned out to be my introduction to this forum. So I tried a similar search  for myrtle guitars and a shot of the actual guitar came up. I followed it back to here: http://www.edroman.com/customshop/wood/myrtlewood.htm

and there it is at the bottom of a page on Ed Roman's site. I know how that happens........but still find it an odd place for an image of that guitar to show up.:blink:

SR

I'm with Pros.None of those GOP clowns are better than the worst Dem candidate this time around.I keep hearing "Hillary scares me!"...But all that means is the GOP fearmongering is working.IMO Clinton is no different from her husband,except for the woman part.

If she wins the presidency, her husband can splash out on a new dress for her to celebrate.

Talking of which, here's a sneak peek at this week's tutorial. This is Nina working on a lathe:

20160109_122513.jpg.cee9fce7d7a662fc21f5

I figured that lathe work might be more up your street, @ScottR. Haven't seen any carving of late. No gnomes or bears?

I do enjoy lathe work, but I don't get much opportunity to do any. I am due for another carving.....I have been slowly working up the intestinal fortitude to have another go at the female gnome. I wonder if Wes still has that chunk of chinaberry? I didn't feel the femignome last year and ended up building another guitar. The more of those I make the more I get addicted.....like you guys don't know. Right now I'm feeding my wood jones by making a wood block puzzle for my wife out a bunch of scrap that I haven't had the heart to throw away. It has pieces of ziricote, zebra wood, claro walnut, quilted maple, curly maple and khaya. I think it may get a bubinga frame. Then I'm going to get a mandolin kit and build it for my daughter in law. I know zero point zilch about them, which ain't enough to try a scratch build. I'm hoping to learn enough from this to maybe do so later.

Sounds like the femignome may have a rough time getting started.:mellow:

SR

That's more like it. You've really laid it on thick with the guitars over your carving work!

Hey Scott I will have to check but I may have a piece of black walnut you can snag next time your passing through.

Funnily enough, I saw the guitar (body only) on the Ed Roman link as well. Being a thicky, I just thought it was a freakishly similar top!