Entry for August 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

westhemann

Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

Unless they're a surgeon or perhaps a sommelier. Then I might think they have an idea.

10 hours ago, Prostheta said:

That's very libertarian of you, but correct. Other people do not know what is best for you.

You say libertarian like it's a bad thing

On 2/6/2017 at 5:45 PM, Tim37 said:

I would like to see your data.

What makes me angry is the government taking my money and wasting it that and them trying to force me to live my life the way they think I should live it.

A few differing viewpoints to keep it balanced. But I think they all point to: our current healthcare system, with or without ACA is a national f**king embarrassment. We're a 1st world country with a 3rd world healthcare system.

http://www.factcheck.org/2015/02/slower-premium-growth-under-obama/

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/health-care-premiums-rising-obamacare/story?id=43047190

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/study-premium-growth-slowed-after-obamacare/

I never really understood the libertarian viewpoint. The government and the people are - at least in theory - the same thing. I see government - especially when it comes to spending - as a form of collective bargaining. If you had to pay private companies for all the things you use - roads, schools, policing, fire departments, testing your food, testing your medications, parks, passports, etc etc, you would pay *a lot* more than you pay in taxes, and you also wouldn't get the protections that can only be provided by a society coming together - things like environmental protections so you have clean water to drink and clean air to breathe, defense, border control, educational standards, the legal system, etc etc.

Sure, government can be inefficient and wasteful. So can private businesses. But private businesses can also be greedy, and unscrupulous in the pursuit of profit, and will screw over consumers to answer to shareholders. Government doesn't *benefit* from being incompetent, and they have every reason to improve competence as it safeguards their jobs. Corporations benefit hugely from being greedy and they have every reason to become greedier.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2017 at 8:55 PM, Prostheta said:

I presume that you're aware that California is a surplus state, in that it puts more into the treasury than it takes? Word has it that it could refuse to play ball with the Drumpf regime, perhaps even secede entirely.

Good summary on the issues with the ACA. That raised a very important point.

I'm happy with the high levels of taxation here. It means that what I'm paying more for now which I don't need will be there for me when I can't pay for it.

I'm also going to be a grandfather.

I would love to pay higher taxes and have single payer healthcare, better infrastructure. We could do with a military about 1/10 of the current size though... that's about the only area where I think govt spending is completely out of control. Reassign half the military into building the infrastructure this country needs and we'd be getting somewhere.

CA indeed gives more than it takes. I'm fine with that. Seceding is a terrible idea - it would possibly be great for California but it would be throwing the LGBTQ community, people of color and women in the rest of the country to the wolves. That's not how we roll here.

I hate plumbing problems. Here is a pic of what I have now. This behind my Dishwasher and kitchen sink. I have to cut out the back of the Sink cabinet not pictured and replace the drain to the main hub. As you can see it has rotted out.

FUCK ME I HATE THIS SHIT.

pipe.jpg

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

This is why plumbers exist. So we don't need to handle this bullshit.

I know but I will be damned if I pay some shithead $300 to fix this when it is about $25 parts max and a 3-4 hours of my time. back when I was younger and not disabled..Then I still will have to fix the wall after he leaves. Hell the hard part is done. Getting the insert out of the cast iron pipe. Needed a little heat and a break over on the pipe wrench.  Only took me a day. LOL!! The rest is easy. just cut a slot remove the old stuff make a new one with PVC and stuff a rubber hub.or fitting. Close it up and done.

:)

mk

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

This is why we have kids.

Mine are grown and don't live close anymore. :)  Parts were $16.49. I needed PVC Glue and some sealant to go with the PVC parts. LOL!!

Here is the piece that was bad.

pipe2.jpg

My repair. Not my best but will do for now. Will be redoing the kitchen in a few months. Then I can do it like I really mean it. LOL!!

pipe3.jpg

pipe4.jpg

Man that sucks.  I have had a couple disc surgeries- and having to bend or contort to get into something like that would have been it for me.  I would have gladly paid $500 for someone else to do it. I commend your work Mikro. 

7 hours ago, MiKro said:

I know but I will be damned if I pay some shithead $300 to fix this when it is about $25 parts max and a 3-4 hours of my time. back when I was younger and not disabled..Then I still will have to fix the wall after he leaves. Hell the hard part is done. Getting the insert out of the cast iron pipe. Needed a little heat and a break over on the pipe wrench.  Only took me a day. LOL!! The rest is easy. just cut a slot remove the old stuff make a new one with PVC and stuff a rubber hub.or fitting. Close it up and done.

:)

mk

I'm with ya as much as I dislike plumbing I just can't pay $80+ a hour for something I can do myself

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tim37 said:

I'm with ya as much as I dislike plumbing I just can't pay $80+ a hour for something I can do myself

I'm with ya on that. :) I'd rather deal with my slow ass and the extra pain in my back, hips, and knees than pay some dickhead to fuck it up.

you guys are lucky to be able to do it yourself- i would have been laid up in bed for 2 weeks if I tried to do something like that. I literally get crooked- my spine gets out of alignment- and then if I slip a disc and it hits the nerve- that is when it gets really fun. The pain isnt in my back- its in my legs-like being stabbed with lightning.  Sneezing or coughing becomes a "hold on to something cause this is going to hurt like hell" moment. I actually popped a vein in my eye once trying to hold back a sneeze/cough.

but I agree with you guys. Guess that is why I havent fixed the in-sink garbage disposal in our kitchen for 2 years now. part of me wants to do it myself and save the cash- part of me knows what will happen if I do- and the part that wants to do it myself is winning out and causing a delay in getting it fixed.  

• Like 1

I understand the back problems. I have had 7 surgeries. over the past 30 years of which 2 were my neck the others my low back. They want to go in and do it again. No way in hell is that going to happen. Yes I am just about totally useless today, the pain in my back, and legs is really tough. Still I would rather do it myself and suffer than pay someone to do the job. :)

MK

Have either of you guys had any advice as to the cause and management for future issues? I've always been under the impression that being tall is a bad start, however given that my day job involves a LOT of moving raw 4-5m (13-16') boards of Birch and Pine, plus the occasional big Oak pieces, I need to know that what I'm doing now won't come back to haunt me. I know basic best lifting and movement practice for these kinds of things, so I'm wondering if I'm simply setting myself up for rough times later....or whether you had some big injury....

9 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Have either of you guys had any advice as to the cause and management for future issues? I've always been under the impression that being tall is a bad start, however given that my day job involves a LOT of moving raw 4-5m (13-16') boards of Birch and Pine, plus the occasional big Oak pieces, I need to know that what I'm doing now won't come back to haunt me. I know basic best lifting and movement practice for these kinds of things, so I'm wondering if I'm simply setting myself up for rough times later....or whether you had some big injury....

Mine started from a major auto accident in 1985. Fractured my neck and back when some ass plowed into me at a stoplight. He was doing about 60mph. So that was my start of the problems.. I will say this though, keeping your weight down will help. Once you have the problem and type of surgeries I had exercise is very hard to do, therefore adding more pounds, putting stress on weakened muscles. It sucks!!! Trying to be mobile for me is a problem. What with my arm and leg spasms/jerking/tremors. Very similar to Parkinsons in some ways.. At first that was what they thought I had. It has taken may years to say it is not PD. Not sure where it will lead to though as my older brother is now having issues that are Parkinsons  and alzhiemers related?

mk

Thankfully I've never had an accident like that, but it's bad to hear of yours. Ouch. Certainly the longer-term implications of accidents like that need to be managed, especially when it comes to weight that you have difficulty losing....I should take better note of that one for sure.

Is PD difficult to diagnose or rule out then? I have little to no knowledge of that illness.

Not really now,. MRIs and CAT scans can show brain stuff that they can correlate based on symptoms and findings.. It also depends on other factors,. whether there are family history of these and so many things. My brothers problems have been hard to diagnose for him as his is a rare form of Alzheimer's type.. Basically they ran tests for 4 months to rule out many things. in order to find his problem.. His symptoms included, Blood pressure drops, hand tremors, walking problems, imbalance and some other problems. Doctors as you know PRACTICE medicine. :)

MK

I remember when they first thought I had PD. It scared the shit out of me. My legs would jerk some, but mainly it was my hands and arms. jerking at times. It scared me to use a router or a saw. The reason I went CNC  :) They put me on some meds for PD it had some effect but not what I had hoped for. finally after many tests over a few years and many EMG nerve tests. What we found that I was getting.weird nerve signals causing it. It was coming from my neck and spine.due to inflammation. Now I take anti inflammatory meds and  that controls it to about 97%. Yes I still have the jerks but they are far and few between and not near as violent. Meaning I don't throw my arm or leg halfway like an uncontrolled punch or kick LOL!! I still get some tremors in my hands. but they are slight. I notice it the most when I am eating or doing fine work like soldering or something like that. When I overdo myself like the past few days. It flares up some. I take muscle relaxers to help with the anti inflammatory meds.seems to keep it in check most of the time.

MK.

27 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Whisky sorts the rest out.

Damn Skippy on that!!!!!

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I have been told I have "degenerative disc disease". But what ends up killing me- and the reason for my surgeries is when I rupture and herniate a disc- it ends up pressing on the sciatic nerve and that just plain sucks.

As @MiKro said- try to keep the weight down, developing your core strength never hurts, lifting mechanics is ultra important (bend with knees, not at waist, keep weight close to body, not far away, dont reach or stretch and then lift- etc).especially dont twist with a heavy weight. 

nothing they can do for me really- but I will say this- in the states- they have this product on tvs ads called "teeter inversion tables"- you strap in and flip yourself upside down-hang by your ankles. .The ads are kinda cheesy- sort of an "as seen on tv" type of product- but  they are legit. Decompressing the discs helps someone like me out tremendously.

What is ti with these 20 somethings? I called a guy to give me an estimate to repair the pool. He brings his guy that repairs cracks. This guy goes on about he only does certain types of cracks and the one at the skimmer he doesn't do. Is it just me or what? Either you can repair shit or you can't. I never got to pick and choose? So now I'm waiting n an estimate so the main guy who does the plaster can find a guy that does the skimmer cracks. They have tried to tell me that this leaks and that leaks. Well guys I tested what leaked and they are wrong. before they ever came. That being said they argued with me about I didn't know what I was talking about.

WTF? I see a bunch of "Lets soak this old man" types here. Needless to say they most likely won't get my business.

mk