February 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open - ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

so- I find out Friday (I think -worst case next week) if I still have a job. I have 23 years with the company I am at. Nothing like feeling like you are going to puke every day for the last couple weeks.

I have been thru this before-several times over the last decade- my skin should be thicker about it- but it sucks all the same.. Every time I am saved from a cut- I think the next time my number might be up. If I am safe this go round- it will be the 4th time in 10 years I have missed the ax man's swing. 

On 8/28/2017 at 1:42 PM, Prostheta said:

Susanna Hoffs looks like a female Alex Skolnick.

Reading through the thread to see what I missed and took a sip of coffee right before I read your post resulting in a laugh that dumped half the sip down my wind pipe and the other shot out straight through my nose.  Don't know which hurt worse. Sitting here trying to laugh while hot coffee burning my nasal passages and lungs. 

• Haha 1

Well, Alex Skolnick is a pretty man I suppose.

Mr. Natural, I know the feeling of always being on edge about your job. It's why I saved up and quit. It's just not worth it to feel that way every day. Life is worth more than that.  Next Summer I hope to finally make that Colorado Trail trip I've been wanting to do.

Long term, I don't know what my future holds, but whatever it is will be better than where I was.

• Like 1

Mr natural 07-08 was like that every few months heads would roll then a sigh of relief until work started running out for us left. I finally got cut Jan 09.   I am kinda proud though the people I walked out with that day we're good draftsmen and woman.   I wouldn't let it get you down the job market is decent right now.

On 11-10-2017 at 9:30 PM, Mr Natural said:

so- I find out Friday (I think -worst case next week) if I still have a job. I have 23 years with the company I am at. Nothing like feeling like you are going to puke every day for the last couple weeks.

Any news @Mr Natural?

been there a couple times myself as well. Last year it happened. It still sucks, but the cliche is true, where one door closes, others will open. It might give you that needed push to look for a different type of career, maybe get some other education or start your own business.

anyway, good luck and hope it turns out good for you.

on another note:

not been around much lately. Sadly my father passed away two weeks ago. Sad to see him go, but it was for the better in the end.

he taught me a lot on doing things myself: plumbing, carpenting etc. Wouldn't have dreamed of building a guitar without his help and education. Let alone his tools, still using his router, sander and other equipment! :)

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, 10pizza said:

on another note:

not been around much lately. Sadly my father passed away two weeks ago. Sad to see him go, but it was for the better in the end.

he taught me a lot on doing things myself: plumbing, carpenting etc. Wouldn't have dreamed of building a guitar without his help and education. Let alone his tools, still using his router, sander and other equipment! :)

Sorry to hear of your Father passing. Prayers for you and family.

Mike

• Like 1

@10pizza- so sorry to hear about your dad.-I lost my dad and my step dad in my early twenties- so many things I wished I could have asked them when I was younger- I keep having those talks with my 20 yr old these days- - starts out- "one day when I am gone- you might want to know this"....blah blah.. hard to grab hold of a 20 year old's attention on certain things though- last week I was explaining checking certificate of insurance on any contractors doing work for us- I think he was listening- but if he is like me- he probably gave two shites - one day when I am gone- he may say- darn- wish dad was aroundso I could ask him....

thanks for all the comments guys- I still dont know right now- Friday the only bit of news came out that one of my peers (who literally just got his 30 years in (eligible for retirement benefits for those that dont understand the significance of 30 years) is now a sr project manager-he filled in an opening in another dept. so- if we were only to lose one headcount- he was it. But we dont know how many (they havent given us how many of us are at risk) and wont know until Monday- get this- they didnt want to do the announcement on Friday the 13th. Are you fooking kidding me? Wow. So- another weekend of feeling pukey. 

@westhemann- you have  no idea of how fooking jealous I am of you. I would love to bail- but- a) I actually like my job. b)- financially I am just not able to bail- yet. If I can squeeze a few more years out of it- it would be ideal. healthcare is the big thing- that is the one "retirement" item that I will not be able to afford should I bail right now. The wife and I are in agreement that we will sell the house we are in now- and take the money we make off it and pay off the next house- ie- downsize and move to the sticks big time. Fortunately we have a good bit of equity in this place. No debt is the goal right now and I have been obsessed with it for the last few years. unfortunately the wife wants in a neighborhood- and I would love the 3-5 acres and homestead situation. i tried to sell her on- get this- if we have livestock- ie- a goat- we could qualify for "farm" status for taxes in certain counties. mrs natural didnt go for that too much. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 10pizza said:

on another note:

A part of how life moves ever onwards, but always saddening however you look at it. Sorry to hear this news man, I really am. I hope yourself and everyone around you is managing, and that you're being their rock. :peace

WHEW!!!!!!!!!

ducked the axeman again. But sadly- folks I have worked with for over two decades did not, so, my happiness is short lived. 

now if you'll excuse me I am going to go collapse. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Natural said:

WHEW!!!!!!!!!

ducked the axeman again. But sadly- folks I have worked with for over two decades did not, so, my happiness is short lived. 

now if you'll excuse me I am going to go collapse. 

Glad to here it, amigo. Bittersweet though it may be.

That probably calls for a beer.:)

SR

• Like 1

Congrats. Sucks how most of the Country is so vulnerable to the economy,which seems to be vulnerable to the whims of the associated press and the ravings of a dumbass in the White House.

• Like 2

Well it is Tuesday night, this week already sucks ass. I cannot seem to get my head out of my ass to get a damn thing done. Everything I touch turns to shit. Damn, hate days like this. :)

mk

My welding machine came in. I have to go pick it up tomorrow.

Today was the Destiny 2 weekly reset,so I was pretty busy.

10 hours ago, MiKro said:

Well it is Tuesday night, this week already sucks ass. I cannot seem to get my head out of my ass to get a damn thing done. Everything I touch turns to shit. Damn, hate days like this. :)

mk

I've been like that for weeks on my build. I think I've made a step forwards and something happens to knock me two steps back. The latest is some fine cracks in the lacquer on my fretboard. I'm pretty certain it's not damp or extremes of temperature. They are so fine that you can only see them in certain lighting situations. I may just ignore them and carry on the endless sanding. I'll try to post a picture of it in my build thread if I can

• Like 2

We're up for our mandatory few months of darkness soon. That is, once the mandatory season of constant rain has passed.

• Haha 1

'Tis the season of waves of low pressure. That means every few days we get a good proportion the Atlantic ocean dumped on us. Cold, damp, grey is all we have to look forward to for the next couple of months. Nearly time to fire up the log burner though - that always brings a bit of autumnal cheer :)