Entry for August 2018's Guitar Of The Month contest is open to all!
ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

23 hours ago, westhemann said:

Depends on the load. The .45 Colt has way more potential. Heaviest .357 I find is 783 ft pounds of muzzle energy vs 1400 for the heavy .45 colt.

It's just that most ammo manufacturers load the .45 Colt up to be subsonic because there are so many old western style .45s that can't handle the high pressure ammo.

Wow I didn't realize anyone was pushing them that hard, not that it's hard to do with modern powders but for the most part ammo companies play it safe.

I just received some Buffalo Bore ammo for my .357 that pushes a 125 grain all copper HP bullet at 1700 fps out of my Blackhawk. Strictly for hunting though. They are expensive.

They offer the lead free bullets now too.

I don't do much handgun shooting these days, the last few years I have been working more on my rifle shootinf, earlier this year I even started reloading for my rifles.  I have been finding it very enjoyable. 

IMG_20171130_082150.jpg.e381c0612b8cf25b8130d7f6bd3f3043.jpgIMG_20170924_065549385_HDR.thumb.jpg.fd7933b9a5b77d3e83db2f1afcd28179.jpgIMG_20170924_065752875.thumb.jpg.3fdffa9923c582ed8a3b61226bab1b17.jpgthe white spot in the center is a 24"x18" at 500m the 4'x8' target boards is 600yd and the white plate to the left is 400m.  And that's a spider that was chilling with me that morning

Overall a 270 is one of the best all around calibers for North America game. I have owned 22-250, 223, 25-06, 30-06 308, 7-08, 300 win mag , 300 weatherby mag, 270, 270 weatherby mag.  335 weatherby mag, 7 mag. and when it comes down to one, the 270 is by far the best all around. 22-250 is great varmit though. Just my opinion though. :)

MK

When I was a teenager I wanted a deer rifle,and I researched and researched through every magazine about guns I could find. My choice was whittled down over months to between a 30-30 and 270.

When I finally could afford one, I was in my early 20s. By that time I was a huge fan of Marlin Firearms(still am) and really wanted a lever action. My wife at the time(recently married) , knowing this,got me a Marlin model 30 AW. I still have it. Absolutely love it, but even though I can shoot 2.5" groups at 100 yards with it using the open sights, it doesn't satisfy my long range sniper urge.

Ruger makes a very nice bolt action in .270 for under $500. Being a huge Ruger fan(#1 in handguns for me, #2 in rifles), I think I'll probably end up with it along about the same time as the 454 casul.

With all my shit getting old and hurting me, I'm moving to handguns (revolvers) more and more because recoil in my hands doesn't cause me pain, while shouldering anything that kicks is getting tougher. Doesn't mean long range game sniper is out of the question, but I do really love the recoil of a good Blackhawk, because it takes the recoil straight up instead of straight back into my shoulders and back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, westhemann said:

With all my shit getting old and hurting me, I'm moving to handguns (revolvers) more and more because recoil in my hands doesn't cause me pain, while shouldering anything that kicks is getting tougher. Doesn't mean long range game sniper is out of the question, but I do really love the recoil of a good Blackhawk, because it takes the recoil straight up instead of straight back into my shoulders and back.

I understand that very well. Funny thing, the most comfortable rifle I ever shot was my Weatherby 300 mag mark4. It was a big push, not a sharp jolt to my shoulder, neck, back. It was the only rifle besides my 22-250 that I would never lose my sight picture in the scope ever. I watched a many of deer and other animals fold up from the shot. It was a suprising thing to many that it was so comfortable for me to shoot since I have had neck and back surgeries. :) I even quit using a 12ga shotgun because of recoil. went to 20ga and 28ga semi autos.

mk

Semi auto is nice on a 20 gauge. I'm just really attached to my bolt action Mossberg 16 gauge. My Grandpa taught me to shoot with his, then after he died my Uncle took it.

Then one day I walked into a pawn shop and there was a barrel with a sign on it that said "barrel o guns. $20 each" I saw that 3 way choke and thought no way, but sure enough same exact model. I even dismantled the bolt right there in the store to make sure the firing pin and spring were in good shape.

Had it 20 years or so now, and it fires everything I put in it. Can't believe someone ever pawned it.

• Like 1

Wes if you really want to get in to long range a .223 is a great caliber to get started with, if you learn how to take it out to 1000yds you can shoot just about anything that far.  Plus it's cheap to feed I can reload a 100 rounds for about $35 verses  my 308 cost about $60.  While your a Ruger fan I would avoid them for long range, Marlin had some potential with there x7 rifles but they discontinued them, the old go to for long range the rem700 just isn't want it used to be.  Right now howa seems to have the most bang for your buck.

Mike I have learned that the stock has a lot to do with how you control recoil that weatherby must have for you just right.  I have a 308 that will leave bruises and others that are a pleasure 

I have picked up some great deals out of pawn shops 

Tim, you should look at Ruger online. They have a new long range rifle that has received numerous awards in 1000 yard competition.

But regardless, I'm thinking of 500 yards as my longest potential range. That's the farthest clear area I have available to shoot. The Ruger bolt action in .270 would be quite sufficient I'm sure. I'm not going for competitive shooting. I just want to sit inside the fence of my buddy's house with binoculars and hunt for whatever shows up in the sightlines.

I do want a .223, but it's going to have to wait.

1 hour ago, Tim37 said:

>snip<

Mike I have learned that the stock has a lot to do with how you control recoil that weatherby must have for you just right.  I have a 308 that will leave bruises and others that are a pleasure 

>snip<

I agree, it was a high comb stock and it fit quite well. :)

mk

10 hours ago, westhemann said:

Tim, you should look at Ruger online. They have a new long range rifle that has received numerous awards in 1000 yard competition.

But regardless, I'm thinking of 500 yards as my longest potential range. That's the farthest clear area I have available to shoot. The Ruger bolt action in .270 would be quite sufficient I'm sure. I'm not going for competitive shooting. I just want to sit inside the fence of my buddy's house with binoculars and hunt for whatever shows up in the sightlines.

I do want a .223, but it's going to have to wait.

I am familiar with the RPR, before dropping 1200 on one check out some of the long range forums and the reviews.  Props to Ruger for making a rifle specific to that market.  

Well, like I said I don't want it. I'll be getting the American Standard.

I always get what I like instead of what others like. I also liked Savge Arms, back in the day. Haven't seen what they offer lately.

Ruger has always been just a hair less accurate than the best on the market, but at 300 yards, that hair is only about 1/4" and they more than make up for it in longevity and versatility. They make hunting guns that last a lifetime, rather than competitive guns.

Anyway, in real shooting situations without a bench and with box ammo, MOA accuracy is all you need.

• Like 1

I see some potential for the American, but Ruger is pushing the precision rifle.  A timney trigger and bedded In a good stock the American would probably be a decent choice.  Savage is still savage they are putting out fairly accurate rifles but still have problems with the small parts over time. (Extractoes, ejectors ect. Breaking). Not a huge deal to fix but a major annoyance.  Remington is being run by lawyers and bean counters and it shows (think Gibson) and marlin is being run by Remington, the marlin x7 rifles have potential but little aftermarket support and since they where discontinued about a year ago I don't see a lot of support popping up.  Right now howa and Tika are putting some nice stuff out for the precision market.  And don't get me wrong about Ruger I own about half a dozen of their products just not where. I would go for long range stuff.

I would never pay that much for a rifle though. I am by no means a fanatic, but bang for the buck is Ruger or Marlin all day. Taurus is also right up there for handguns(used to be anyway, reviews lately have been mixed.)

Edited by westhemann

Okay,  i don't remember where I left off on tbe house,but here goes.

I was working with a friend for two days and smashed my finger, so todaywas the first day I was able to work on the house. It healed pretty quickly though.

20171201_160939.jpg

20171202_160342.jpg

• Like 1

So today I  started replacing the support beams. Some of them are very rotten. I used a lawnmower as a tow device and a dolly to manuever it in. And this is where I am now.

20171203_094104.jpg

20171203_113517.jpg

20171203_093903.jpg

• Like 1

If I didn't mention it, that is a 7" by 10" RR tie soaked in creosote, so even though it looks lumpy and uneven, it is really strong. Also, the uploader gets pics out of order, so don't mind that.

25 minutes ago, westhemann said:

AAAAANNND my chainsaw took a shit on me. I guess that's all for today while I go get another chainsaw.

Never fails when you don't need the damn thing. Murphys Law. LOL

Well, I picked up a Poulan Pro 18" and some good 12" sawzall blades, so I'm set for tomorrow.

Actually, I'm kind of surprised how easy it was to get that one RR tie under there in place. Tomorrow should be fun. Luckily the exterior beams are the only ones that need replacing. It actually would be a nightmare if I had to drag those things underneath.

• Haha 1

Managed to squeeze in enough daylight for one more. I'm actually pretty pleased. There used to be a 3" dip at the corner of that window. Now everything is straight.

20171203_165729.jpg

• Like 1

you really should add some steel tie plates at those joints. :) Double the width to the height and at min 4 through bolts per side joint. Inside and outside plates. 1/4" plate would be more than enough. 3/16" steel would be fine

mk