Entry for August 2018's Guitar Of The Month contest is open to all!
ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

The size of his huge head and fat cheeks obviously more than make up for his small mouth, narrow shoulders, and tiny hands.

On 12/26/2017 at 8:17 PM, westhemann said:

What does everyone think of rooftop patios? Lol. I've always wanted one, but i can't tell if it's just retarded

I think one would be awesome. Build a short barrier around it for privacy and to keep you from rolling off the edge...., add a palapa in the middle and you are good to go.

SR

So I bought exterior paint that can be applied as low as 40 degrees, and then the weather promptly dips down below 40 for a week.

• Haha 1

I guess while I wait for the weather to clear I'll start tearing out the fire damage inside and replace those floor joists. I have to admit, I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to working in the cold. I like the cold up North, but this crap here where it's cold but no snow or anything is just hard to get out in.

The weather man just said "this will be the coldest night we have had all year" really :blink: 

It's only supposed to get down to 20 here. Technically though, that is the coldest night so far.

it started at 17 this morning i think it is 24 now. I cant get the shop above 55. Damn I knew I needed a bigger heater.

mk

I was just considering setting up a propane heater in that house to warm it up at least a little.

Seems like wasted effort though. It rarely gets below freezing here. Then again, every few years we get a cold winter that seems to linger.

• Like 1

My problem with propane in an enclosed space is the CO problem. I am not a fan of carbon monoxide.

mk

Around here everyone uses propane heaters in old houses. I grew up doing the Dearborn Dance.

If you have a good ,clean heater and know how to adjust it it's fine. Keep in mind though, none of these old houses are insulated...so plenty of fresh air gets in.

Once everything is done and I get the house insulated though I'll be using other methods. I'm considering central air, but I may just go with a window unit with a heat pump in every room.

• Like 1

Okay, so working on a house in freezing temps isn't fun. Since the whole point of this project is to have fun renovating my own home, I'm going to wait until it gets above freezing. So, tomorrow. Lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, westhemann said:

Okay, so working on a house in freezing temps isn't fun. Since the whole point of this project is to have fun renovating my own home, I'm going to wait until it gets above freezing. So, tomorrow. Lol

Nothing is fun in freezing temps. The crazy thing is our area was predicted to have a warmer than normal winter.

When I was in the KC area this past week we only had a couple days that it got up to the 20s. The rest were single digits and low teens. On the way back I stopped south of Dallas and the temp was 27 but the wind was howling and I swear it felt colder than the 5 degree morning air I walked the dogs in up north.

SR

57 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Nothing is fun in freezing temps. The crazy thing is our area was predicted to have a warmer than normal winter.

When I was in the KC area this past week we only had a couple days that it got up to the 20s. The rest were single digits and low teens. On the way back I stopped south of Dallas and the temp was 27 but the wind was howling and I swear it felt colder than the 5 degree morning air I walked the dogs in up north.

SR

I get it. When I was in SLC through November and December in the late 90s the highest it ever got was 8 degrees, but I was out working in it and on Sundays I walked a mile to the theater to watch movies. It was cold, but not miserable. Down here, 8 degrees means I don't leave the house.

• Like 1

So yesterday I was going to just close off the attic louvers with screen. But, we all know the mixed blessing that is constant inspiration.

20180103_131822.jpg

So I have these double paned, gas filled windows that were left over from the ABIA airport back in 97. However, they are somewhat bigger than the louver. So this happened. Hard to see, but I destroyed the hole.

20180103_132013.jpg

Anyway, after reframing I needed to get the window up there. I'm only one guy, and the window weighs maybe 80 pounds. I'm dubious. This is me thinking.

20180104_105844.jpg

So. Several tubes of caulk and liquid nails later, I have this. Inside is done except for paint. Outside still needs faced.

20180104_120311.jpg

• Like 1

Actually,  it is a very nice day. Perfect temps for working, with highs in the 50s I think. My new exteriir tiles also came in, so I was able to face the window.

20180104_155608.jpg

These tiles are super difficult to work with. Removing one old tile without cracking two others is virtually impossible, and the new ones crack even easier than the old ones. Because of this I'm having to get a bit creative and not be super picky about everything looking perfect. Case in point.

20180104_190646.jpg

Edited by westhemann

@westhemann-really enjoying this project of yours- and you are cranking out the progress. we got the cold temps you guys had- and its crazy cold here- which- sucks working outside- but- good to kill bugs and such as they say. we need a good frozen week to kill off the buzzies.