Entry for August 2018's Guitar Of The Month contest is open to all!
ENTER HERE!

westhemann

Misc stuff about life.This one goes to eleven...

I had no idea they were launching a car today. I just watched the launch and side booster recovery and I think that's the coolest thing ever.

The "DON'T PANIC" screen in the console was a nice touch. Douglas Adams would be so proud.

• Like 1

I got my nine year old nephew coprolite for his birthday.  Now he can tell everyone that I give the crappiest gifts.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tim37 said:

I got my nine year old nephew coprolite for his birthday.  Now he can tell everyone that I give the crappiest gifts.

My Mom has been sending me that for years. Funny thing is I think it's really cool and the most well intended thing she ever does.

You should know though that I was wildly fascinated with dinosaurs from like kindergarten up to about 14, when I one day looked up and found that(unlike dinosaurs), girls had boobs.

One of these is supposed to be a trilobyte. I'm sure you can see which one.

Thing is, this might be any sort of fossilized dung. Might just be opossum or bear.

20180208_090342.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't be duck. Birds eliminate urine and feces at the same time through their digestive tract. That's why it's always coated in white stuff and is basically a puddle. I'd be surprised if fossilization of that is possible.

I know what you're thinking. Birds are dinosaurs...yet...

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2014/02/12/the-surprising-science-of-dinosaur-pee/

Edited by westhemann

I like how you're the practical rough and ready type Mike, then you lay down the law about how ducks shit. We all have our hidden talents, obviously.

I'm unsure as to what mine are. That's making an assumption of there being more than one.

• Like 1

Trilobites are amazing, simply because of their ubiquity and variety. Hundreds of million of years gets you a lot of differentiation and divergent evolution. I'd love to acquire a Trilobite fossil and "unearth" it from the surrounding material. I've always found them the most awesome of prehistoric creatures.

Got those blocks under finally. Was waiting for a good back day which finally arrived. Side note: asbestos floor tiles make excellent thin shims to take care of the fine tuning.

20180208_123944.jpg

Edited by westhemann

Took down some low joists. I'll be getting some posts for support tomorrow before going crazy and removing more.

20180208_135126.jpg

3 hours ago, westhemann said:

That's why it's always coated in white stuff and is basically a puddle. I'd be surprised if fossilization of that is possible.

Isn't there such a thing as fossilized amber? Amber is technically fossilized tree resin, which is a liquid albeit a rather viscous one.

SR

Tree resin hardens like blood. It is tree blood after all, and it does that I suppose to keep the tree from leaking to death?

But I don't know if amber is technically fossilized. I think it just gets really, really hard over time...like epoxy resin...or wood glue.

Hmmm. It says it is in fact fossilized, but only tree resins that aren't susceptible to decay can become amber.

Did you know that polyesters and epoxy resins are an imitation of amber? So Wikipedia says anyway.

But anyway, original subject: I think the uric acid in bird poop breaks it down much to quickly to become fossilized.

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I like how you're the practical rough and ready type Mike, then you lay down the law about how ducks shit. We all have our hidden talents, obviously.

I'm unsure as to what mine are. That's making an assumption of there being more than one.

What the fuck are you talking about Carl? I have nothing to say about Duck shit ??????

Obviously I missed something here?

mk

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, westhemann said:

But anyway, original subject: I think the uric acid in bird poop breaks it down much to quickly to become fossilized.

Huh. I'd swear that shit fossilizes on the hood of my truck in less than a week.:P

SR

• Haha 2

So, I have this metal doorframe. I was given two frames and one metal door. I put the other one on the conex.

I just can't see myself wasting it,  so I have a choice. I can order another metal door, OR I can built one out of fancy wood... so yeah...wood it will be.

20180208_165712.jpg

20180208_165658.jpg

15 hours ago, westhemann said:

OR I can built one out of fancy wood... so yeah...wood it will be.

Should be fun. Looking forward to seeing that.

SR

2 hours ago, MiKro said:

Doors are a PITA to make. :)

mk

Oh, I know. I'm considering how I want to approach it. Possibly two layers thick, with outside running diagonally with 6" wide strips of 4/4 lumber, and inside the same but running the opposite direction.

Or exotic plywood core with the edge woods being  actual mahogany.

Research is required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, westhemann said:

Oh, I know. I'm considering how I want to approach it. Possibly two layers thick, with outside running diagonally with 6" wide strips of 4/4 lumber, and inside the same but running the opposite direction.

You could make them like the old castle doors: vertical timbers bolted between a couple bars of iron.

SR

Support post is up in one spot. The floor is 1  1/2" thick and there us a 2x8 and a pier right under that spot, so no worries.

20180209_165336.jpg

20180209_165331.jpg