This ain't gonna be yer "normal" SS.

Does the neck pickup route negate most of the advantage of the neck joint?

It looks like you are about 3/8" into the neck tenon.

How thick was the full tenon?

How much wood is left?

Not that it really matters as even a 1/4" slab running into the body helps. I did a neck tenon like that a few times one was on The Hand of Doom and the other was on the day glow Orange destroyer... maybe a few others as well. Can't say I can tell a real difference in them vs my normal neck joints but it adds to the "voodoo"

Really nice!!! ( it was expected...)

Thanks!

I'm not sure I've ever made one that looked so different when you flip it over.

I've still got some time involving playing oil to go.....but I'm looking forward to seeing it dressed out in hardware.

SR

The Horny Grinder! I love it! So you are sanding up to 12,000 before you add any finish?

Yes, I normally micromesh up to 12000 before pretty much whatever finish I choose. It's probably just voodoo, but i like the way that makes the highlights and figure glow even more before adding finish. To me it looks deeper when done that way.

SR

Same here. I've finished a lot of our furniture (Birch) using Abralon pads in a ROS. 400 pads is where all of the cutting part of the sanding stops. Everything up to 4000 just makes it more and more slick and polished. You certainly see any marginal faults in end grain by that stage! A tactile treat to say the least when everything's fixed and the texture hitting that sweet spot. Oil certainly makes wood pop, but sort of dampens the natural slick burnished surface. Been thinking of taking our Rosewood dining table through to 4000 grit sometime. I'll hate people for putting watermarks on it though....

You're totally right about wood glowing after intense burnishing. Nothing more pleasing in my book. I made Nina a side table for her birthday and spent almost too many hours sanding, waxing, burnishing and re-waxing.

post-6639-0-27866600-1432667465_thumb.jp

Thing is, when you don't know the gliding feel of silky wood that photo means little. When you do, you can "see how it feels". I can see exactly how your guitar must feel after all the work....!

Sorry Scott I didn't read all 16 pages, just this one.

Do you have any special design plans for the pickups?

Beyond awesome, I want to be you (haha!).

Thanks Drak. No, no special design plans for the pickups other than the carve around the routes. The plan is to direct mount with straight up bobbins, but they actually came with silver covers. I normally don't like covers, but I suppose I should mock them up with the covers once just to see what it would look like, before de-soldering them and taking them off.

SR

Coming up nicely, as the title says, it's certainly not your normal SS!

Thanks Allan, and no normal is not as much fun as not so normal! :D

Oil makes that thing pop.

Putting oil on this thing was like waving a magic wand. I'm looking forward to getting more on it when I get back home. Those woods are very thirsty.

SR

Same here. I've finished a lot of our furniture (Birch) using Abralon pads in a ROS. 400 pads is where all of the cutting part of the sanding stops. Everything up to 4000 just makes it more and more slick and polished. You certainly see any marginal faults in end grain by that stage! A tactile treat to say the least when everything's fixed and the texture hitting that sweet spot. Oil certainly makes wood pop, but sort of dampens the natural slick burnished surface. Been thinking of taking our Rosewood dining table through to 4000 grit sometime. I'll hate people for putting watermarks on it though....

You're totally right about wood glowing after intense burnishing. Nothing more pleasing in my book. I made Nina a side table for her birthday and spent almost too many hours sanding, waxing, burnishing and re-waxing.

attachicon.gif10896386_10153133148235676_4653461376702678594_o.jpg

Thing is, when you don't know the gliding feel of silky wood that photo means little. When you do, you can "see how it feels". I can see exactly how your guitar must feel after all the work....!

I've got to agree. Once you've done a couple of pieces that way it is hard to not do them all that way. Nothing feels the way the wood does when treated that way. But it does spot with water instantly. You've got to pick something to seal and provide a moisture barrier......which of course does change the feel.

(sigh)....that compromise word comes in to play just about now.

SR

I really like waxes. I might have to finish a bass that way sometime. I mix my sanding and burnishing schedule with my waxing, so it really penetrates and builds a smooth finish.

More photos. Too many words have been written since the last ones! Ha