This ain't gonna be yer "normal" SS.

I dig how this one is comin along. I especially like the back carve, reminds me of my own alphas & lotus guitars. Except that I would never be able to pull off the mad carving you can.

Man im realy starting to miss building but your threads always make my day gitir wise. So come on son MORE PIKS !!!

Do as daddy says :D

• Like 1

Looking forward to more progress. Always love your projects. I have not been around much recently and really miss it...I have some ideas in mind for some projects of my own but always learn from yours.

Good to see you are still peeking in. I'd love to see some of your projects when you get started. Don't you still have a LP to finish? :)

SR

Scott and Pros, I really appreciate your expertise on using oil as a finish. I was planning on using tung oil on my bass, and now I see that I have A LOT of sanding before I get to that stage.

Mind. Blown.

Check out builds by demonx and RestorationAD. They do beautiful oil finishes without going to these extremes. I can't speak for Prostheta--but I'm pretty sure he'd agree--I just very much enjoy seeing what the wood does by steadily increasing the grit counts until it is finely polished. It gleams and glows and has a very warm look to it. It is kind of addicting, I want to see what every piece of wood I get my hands on would look like polished up like that.

SR

Really nice timber you got there, this build looks stunning. Also like the smileyface on the back ;)

Thank you sir! The smiley face is a byproduct of the Hannes bridge. I think the jury may still be out on whether it is desirable or objectionable.......I've heard both opinions and plenty in between.

SR

I dig how this one is comin along. I especially like the back carve, reminds me of my own alphas & lotus guitars. Except that I would never be able to pull off the mad carving you can.

Man im realy starting to miss building but your threads always make my day gitir wise. So come on son MORE PIKS !!!

Do as daddy says :D

I did see your lotus in my head when I mentally pictured the neck join. Your single piece neck and body morphing into my attempt to make a body that looks like it grew around the neck.

You have got to be itching to be back in the shop building. How much more healing do you have left before you can start handling wood again? :P

SR

Scott and Pros, I really appreciate your expertise on using oil as a finish. I was planning on using tung oil on my bass, and now I see that I have A LOT of sanding before I get to that stage.

Mind. Blown.

Check out builds by demonx and RestorationAD. They do beautiful oil finishes without going to these extremes. I can't speak for Prostheta--but I'm pretty sure he'd agree--I just very much enjoy seeing what the wood does by steadily increasing the grit counts until it is finely polished. It gleams and glows and has a very warm look to it. It is kind of addicting, I want to see what every piece of wood I get my hands on would look like polished up like that.

SR

Agreed. A lot of woods really come to life with an obsessive amount of burnishing. Kind of like how sparkling and wet-looking a piece of flamed wood can look like when you take off a tissue-thin plane or cabinet scraper shaving without tearout. One of my go-to tools is craft knife blades with a hook turned on them same as a scraper. Anyway, this is getting off the point, rambling old me.

Thanks James. I see I'm going to have to keep a close eye on you when you take this for a test drive.

And thanks Luis. We'll see how the oil finish comes out.

It's just wipe on, let it soak, wipe it off.......rinse and repeat, right? :mellow: right?

SR

The original plan was to go with no covers. The had a set of black covers that looked like they may match my cosmo black tuners, that I nearly bought, but I've never really been a big fan of covers. Except for P-90s. P-90s are supposed to have covers. And putting anything between the magnets and strings must have some effect on the magnetic field....however minor. Then these show up with shiny chrome covers, and shiny things are--well, you know--attractive. :blink:

I'm thinking-oooooohhhh shiny. Then--I wonder if that means the bobbins are ugly. I didn't order those chrome covers. But my bridge is black and chrome, and the knobs are black........and that chrome is soooo shiny. :D It could work.

But the bobbins are fine, so no cover it shall be.......unless I fall on my head or something before I mount all the hardware.

SR

Without covers for sure. You could even go that extra mile and paint the base plate black. Or change to a fibre base plate. That however will change the sound of the pickups slightly so that might not be a good idea. If you are interested Monotone has those base plates