This ain't gonna be yer "normal" SS.

Without covers for sure. You could even go that extra mile and paint the base plate black. Or change to a fibre base plate. That however will change the sound of the pickups slightly so that might not be a good idea. If you are interested Monotone has those base plates

Cheers Peter.

Painting the base plate black is an appealing idea.

SR

I usually go with rings because I don't like seeing the base plate either. But they are not possible with this design. And I totally agree that uncovered pups work better with this organic design. The plates should be deeper in the routes when they are actually mounted, the mockups were just sitting on a piece of foam and were riding a bit high. Swede's idea of painting the base plates black should help disguise them too.

SR

I'll kick in my two cents and vote for no covers. They'll flatter the vexed viking look.

Hmmm, "The Vexed Viking". I think I'm going to use that name for all future references to this build. <_<

Vexed Viking.......rolls right off the tongue doesn't it?

If you're stone cold sober anyway. :D

SR

And it's kind of unique from this side as well......

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

I did paint the pickup base black....barbeque pit black in fact. It looked better but did not stick as well as I expected. Some silver peeked through after screwing them in place. So I made some foam covers to hide the tabs.

Oh, and I got it strung up too.

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

Still needs a setup.

SR

• Like 1

I have to say that I prefer the look of the back to the front. I mean, that's not to say the front has anything wrong with it....to the contrary! I'm not an orange guy I guess.

That heel joint though. Seriously. Just look at it. Plus, the back of the headstock. Really.

**flips the computer desk and storms off**

I don't know why I try any more. hahaha

I love how it glows. My duck caring friend is impressed with your carving skills. He wants to know when I'm going to start doing that.

It does rather glow here and there. I was installing the tuning machines and was struck by a section of the headstock that the sun was lighting up. It looked like translucent candy just then.

Your friend really cares about ducks huh? Actually a duck may have been the first thing I ever carved that was recognizable. :)

SR

• Like 1

I have to say that I prefer the look of the back to the front. I mean, that's not to say the front has anything wrong with it....to the contrary! I'm not an orange guy I guess.

That heel joint though. Seriously. Just look at it. Plus, the back of the headstock. Really.

**flips the computer desk and storms off**

I don't know why I try any more. hahaha

Thanks Carl.

I have to say I like the back quite a lot as well. I wanted to make something that looked as good coming as it did going....like the old saw where the fellow says to the lovely lady: I hate to see you go......but I love to watch you leave.

I'm glad to hear your feedback on the neck join. I was sure that was going to be so radically different that many would just think it was weird. ('course, I did it anyway. :) )

SR

It has oodles more than an SG. The tenon goes past the bridge and is sandwiched in by the top. The pickup routes do cut about halfway into the tenon, but there is still plenty of glue surface in there. Taking advantage of that was one of the reasons for that design.

Are you seeing a spaceman on a stick or something a little darker?

psikoT--

I think it will be very comfy to play.......but I'll have to get back to you on that. I've honestly only had it in playing position for a few minutes. That felt quite nice but it still needs a full set up. I think I'm done fine tuning the nut, but that's as far as I've gotten.

SR

Looking awesome, where are the strings?

Well......one end of them is wrapped around the tuners and the other is stuck in that retainer thingy in the back. :D

You can go back a page or so to the last two pics I posted or wait to see if I can pull off any glamour shots. :unsure:

SR