This ain't gonna be yer "normal" SS.

Oooo, very angular of you, Scott. That first shot of the body outline I was reminded of the Ibanez 540P with its upsidey-downess. And then I realised that you were upside-downing the upsidey-downess once you had it cut out :P

I drew out line on the back for glue since that was the side that the grain would be visible on....even though it will cahnge a littel once I start carving on it. And it does remind of an upsidedown 540P doesn't it.

So much beautiful timber, and it looks like a metal vibe in the shape, fantastic.

This will be the closest thing to a metal look I have made to date.

SR

The neck is heavy because you have enough wood to build 2 necks. Send me the cutoffs so I can build a second guitar ;)

Other than the blatant waste of precious Zebra wood it is looking pretty sweet!.

Maybe even three. I have already trimmed off enough to make another neck and a half inch thick top. The neck will be going on a serious diet soon.

SR

HA HA HA COOOOOL !!!

been waiting on another scotty build. Im just gonna sit here constantly refreshing the screen, koz I aint been doin a whole lot else lately gitir wise :hyper

digin the timber choices, nice n grainey

How in the world are you Paulie?......or should I say Pops?

Why isn't anything going on in your shop? You didn't do yourself another injury did you?

SR

There probably won't be any pictures till Monday, but I cleaned up the gluing edges and glued up the madrone burl top. I was surprised by how light it was even though it supposedly has a Janka number similar to oak--1400ish. And man is the grain super fine. Other than burl it is not all that much to look at, but I could see it being an alternative to alder or poplar especially for painted pieces. Unless it sucks for some other reason that I don't know of. It's tap sounded like mud, butI figured that was due to the burl. I remember seeing the trees while I was hiking along the Rogue River years ago and thinking how cool they looked with their orange, sometimes orange and green trunks. Orange on the outside, pink on the inside, kind of like an inside out salmon. I know little about it, has anyone else ever used it?

SR

HA HA HA COOOOOL !!!

been waiting on another scotty build. Im just gonna sit here constantly refreshing the screen, koz I aint been doin a whole lot else lately gitir wise :hyper

digin the timber choices, nice n grainey

How in the world are you Paulie?......or should I say Pops?

Why isn't anything going on in your shop? You didn't do yourself another injury did you?

SR

Hey scotty.

No no, same injury as last time. The drunk muppet running me over :rolleyes:

my right hand was not healing up right, no mobility in the wrist & no grip strenght. It got almost like a prostethic. So I had to go have the wrist re-broken.

Its going well now, I can move my fingers again but its still weak as hell & the doc says no hammers or chisels or screw drivers or anything like that for the best part of the next 12 weeks. Just easy things, & what ever i can do with just the left hand. I tell you man you would not believe how sharp all my chisels are <_<

na, no brainer really. my wrist had little or no movement & I could not make a closed fist properly, no grip at all. So I couldnt work, couldnt play. Couldnt ride the bike, couldnt drive the car - & worst of all - couldnt hold a bottle. You know what comes in bottles Scotty ? Beer :blink:

SO options were

01) no lutherie, no playing guitar, no riding the bike, no driving the car, no driving the land rover, No training (Im a weight lifter) & No beer.

02) rebreak wrist & most likly be bak in order in 6 munts to a year.

& before anyone chimes in - NO you can not drink beer with your left hand, thats for sandwiches, chicken & steak to accompany the beer. Beer only goes in the felt hand when your on stage using the bottle or pint glass to play slide & show off.

Anyway, less about the damage to my sexlife & more about your lack of piks !! Get yer ass in gear or i will set yer mother on you.

& before anyone chimes in - NO you can not drink beer with your left hand, thats for sandwiches, chicken & steak to accompany the beer. Beer only goes in the felt hand when your on stage using the bottle or pint glass to play slide & show off.

Paulie, that's exactly why I love you so much. We think so much alike there is no way way we are not related.

SR

As I said last week, I did get the madrone burl in and glued up.

IMG_0377.JPG

Here are a couple of shots of the top after glue up and wiped down with mineral spirits to show the figure.

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

I thought that next I would be routing the trust rod channel but I had a set back. One of my neck lams split apart.

IMG_0387.JPG

SR

I have always been a believer in the "do not add water to any neck component" so have always used epoxy on the neck constructions. I always use T-88 and have always been a fan. I have had a few minor separations but credited them to getting them too hot from working in the direct summer sun. I cannot blame these on that though....so I'm done using that stuff for anything other than pore filling.

IMG_0388.JPG

I had to re-surface the gluing faces deep enough to clear out the pores so the Titebond 1 could penetrate.

IMG_0389.JPG

Once I got that ready to glue I noticed the other lam was seperating as well. It was a lot more minor...but I didn't trust the joint any more so I separated the lams and cleaned them up to a level beyond the epoxy filled pores as well.

IMG_0391.JPG

I did cut the top to the rough shape of the body.

IMG_0394.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Once the side was square and true to the top of the neck, I could cut my headstock angle.

IMG_0363_zps38p6vtjv.jpg

I love using my plane for a sanding block in these situations.

IMG_0365_zpseeluctzr.jpg

I flattened the fretboard stock the same way and got on to cutting frets.

IMG_0367_zps2ammcp3t.jpg

I use the Stew Mac miter box. The upgrade to this pull saw is so worth the money.

IMG_0368_zps9pislcev.jpg

SR

Agreed. I ordered the newest version with roller bearings and wow, that is even better.

I have always been a believer in the "do not add water to any neck component" so have always used epoxy on the neck constructions. I always use T-88 and have always been a fan. I have had a few minor separations but credited them to getting them too hot from working in the direct summer sun. I cannot blame these on that though....so I'm done using that stuff for anything other than pore filling.

IMG_0388_zpshgmwdfgy.jpg

And this is why I quit using T-88 and spent a fortune on West Systems. Glad you caught it early. Would have sucked to find it later.

I knew this was not going to go quickly.......

SR

What? You are going fast as lightning, the burl top looks amazing are you going to fill the two small valleys?

Other than soaking and sealing them with CA, no. This carve is going to be very organic and that top was actually chosen over other burls because I think the inclusions are going to work well with the design.

SR