pan_kara

Traq Guitars 2015: a crazy ex-strat

pan_kara    151

I didn't try the flame test, but weld-on didn't seem to work. Maybe I messed up the surface preparation on that instance. Anyway ths superlglue is still holding and meanwhile I finshed the plexi version.TRQ_8871.thumb.jpg.007246d7af7fccf2f655412f26eaa420.jpgTRQ_8872.thumb.jpg.b5094377810517a94751ba0796ddbd83.jpgTRQ_8873.thumb.jpg.ad59edda49c393591a4b3568895ba060.jpg 

Not sure I like it, I think I'll revert to the black one. I like the "exposed wires" look and the fact that more of the swirl is visible, but I think the black picguard somehow balanced the design better.

Norris    207

How about going half way by gently sanding the back of the clear pickguard to make it semi-transparent?

pan_kara    151

well to me it's not the transparency that is the problem, that I quite like actually. But I think the large uniform black area (with a white edge) somehow offset the complexty of everything else going on with this guitar.

So I think I'll go back to the black simply, saving the plexi as an option for whenever I feel like changing.

I just need to level and buff the lacquer before the re-assembly

ScottR    1,355

I like the transparency too, but don't care for the exposed routes and wires as much. You could paint the edge of the plexy black or white to break up the pattern showing through and kind of identify the fact that you have a pickguard. And it's easy enough to remove the edge paint if you don't like it.

SR

pan_kara    151

I might try that at some stage, the white outline could save it a bit - but for now I think I'll just go back to the black pickguard. Hopefully soon. Wetsanding and buffing has started.

For the record: I finished fixing photo references, this thread has all the pictures back, where possible.

pan_kara    151

All right, this time the clearcoat polished up fine. I didn't fully level it with wetsanding except a few places, didn't want to push my luck (and I didn't put a whole lot on), instead I reduced orange peel a bit just by buffing, the end result is pretty good. I even managed to get the insides of the cutaways nearly perfect after a session with the micromesh sanding pads.

TRQ_8875.thumb.jpg.e42ccbfcded68a485881a71a03b02090.jpgTRQ_8876.thumb.jpg.cbe697b14f6b7f4615e3d349eb8d996d.jpg

I've put all the hardware on so now it's just the remaining bit of setup work. I think I'll need to file the bridge saddles down a little, my neck angle (and fb thickness) ended up a little on the low side and I can't get the action as low as it should be on the treble side. Actually everything is low profile, the pickups are sitting almost flush with the pickguard.. I need to watch this more carefully in the future.

TRQ_8877.thumb.jpg.f94764e40c3d57ded10b753b314f2671.jpg

• Like 2