Drak - Raspberry Beret

Hey Chris!

Hope your new bidness is going well and strong :) .

I'll catch this up to date real quick.

3-year old build that sat at the back of the rack for awhile but is now getting more work done to it.

1/4" Purpleheart top over 3-piece Mahogany body.

Wood was taken from a lumber stash I was given a long time ago.

The guy buscuited the Mahogany for a tabletop so I had to fill the biscuit joints in.

There was enough there for 3 bodies, 1 3/4" thick.

This Mahogany has some of the best Mahogany tone I have come across in all my years, it has to be tapped to be believed.

Not all Mahogany has great tone, but this has it, some very nice stock.

That made it easy to overlook the biscuit joints I had to fill in.

Since I bursted the edge, you can't even tell they're even there now.

I think I marked the back end at a 1" bevel and then worked it down to 1/2" starting around the waist area.

There is a big gap between the forming and finished shots, oops.

The last pic here on this post was how I left it about a year ago.

I sat on the issue of whether to burst the top edge or not, and finally decided to do it and just did that a few days ago.

Pics of the new look coming, otherwise you're up to date.

I included one pic with a shortie trapeze tailpiece, but will probably go with the Ibanez tailpiece.

001_zpsq84s8yas.jpg

002_zps0vifwnz9.jpg

003_zpslw2rxtmd.jpg

004_zpsi9oufp7m.jpg

005_zpsrxzennq5.jpg

006_zpse4nob26j.jpg

007_zpscmmuanga.jpg

008_zps4iermwal.jpg

009_zps1f0kkoup.jpg

011_zpsioxgtb9n.jpg

012_zpshyx2stkh.jpg

013_zpsjzanrg4i.jpg

• Like 2

PS those are genuine 1980's Bill Lawrence L-500's in creme.

I love those pickups.

I've been buying those things (originals) for years now on eBay and Reverb when I run across them, probably have over a dozen sets in different variations.

Black, creme, HB's, mini-HB's (L-550's), cool, hot, etc.

The guitar isn't done yet, it hasn't been final-buffed out or anything as I'm putting the final clearcoats over the bursted top now and still need to do the matching headstock veneer.

It's kind of a weird Drak-ish homage to the late '70's Ibanez Artist guitars.

Sort of.

I think PG needed a good long break from me, and I from it :lol: .

PS, Congrats on your World-Wide domination Perry, most awesome to watch your growing success from this corner of the world.

I've been on The Gear Page forums the whole time, I became a dirty low-down pedal-ho and got totally engrossed in building several custom boards, tuning my rig to be wet-dry-wet capable, rebuilt one of my cabs from 1-15 to 2-12, built a few new cabs...I'm always doing something, just not always building guitars.

That looks great. Glad you decided for the Ibanez tailpieze. My first guitar had that bridge tailpiece combo and I still like the look. I'm looking forward to see what it looks like with a burst om the front. My first reaktion was "NOOO! leave the nice purple heart/reg mahogany contrast" but I'm starting to see what you probably see and now think that its a bit too much going on there.

PS those are genuine 1980's Bill Lawrence L-500's in creme.

I love those pickups.

I've been buying those things (originals) for years now on eBay and Reverb when I run across them, probably have over a dozen sets in different variations.

Black, creme, HB's, mini-HB's (L-550's), cool, hot, etc.

The guitar isn't done yet, it hasn't been final-buffed out or anything as I'm putting the final clearcoats over the bursted top now and still need to do the matching headstock veneer.

It's kind of a weird Drak-ish homage to the late '70's Ibanez Artist guitars.

Sort of.

I was looking at the pics and thinking what a cool pickup ring combination....I don't think I've run across that one before.

And your next post tells me what the heck they are. :) Thanks.

It is great to see another Drak guitar. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece. It will be stunning, and the matching headstock veneer will add some nice balance.

SR

I think PG needed a good long break from me, and I from it :lol: .

PS, Congrats on your World-Wide domination Perry, most awesome to watch your growing success from this corner of the world.

I've been on The Gear Page forums the whole time, I became a dirty low-down pedal-ho and got totally engrossed in building several custom boards, tuning my rig to be wet-dry-wet capable, rebuilt one of my cabs from 1-15 to 2-12, built a few new cabs...I'm always doing something, just not always building guitars.

Ive hardly dominated the world. Only 10% :P

I went down the 'lets build pedals and amps and everything' route. In the end I just got distracted.

OK, I mocked it up again with the bursted edge.

I like it a lot more now, glad I did it.

Even tho it certainly is not a 70's Ibanez Artist, the edge burst makes it look one click closer to one than it did before, and I didn't cover up any of the Purpleheart with the burst.

She's a big girl, she'll probably weigh in around 9 lbs., like an Ibanez Artist!

016_zpsg7ijfhyt.jpg

017_zpsfe6rw5x3.jpg

018_zpspze2qzer.jpg

• Like 1

Much better! Not that it looked bad in the first place, just a bit too... busy

• 2 months later...

Great job. Shes a beauty.

I was wondering, where did you pick up the Ibanez tailpiece? I've been looking for just the triangle/cloud ornamental piece (or something like it) for a 2671-inspired build I want to do. I've only seen one before on ebay, and it was going for $100 bucks along with the bridge and a couple other small things. I wasn't about to pay that much, though. If worst comes to worst, I might even just try to make one.