Trem to hardtail conversion

Weldaar

I am currently trying to convert a trem guitar to a hard tail. I routed out the necessary place to be filled and cut a block for it. I would like to know what type of filler I should use for this. Brand if possible?

Thanx,

Jeff

Edited by Weldaar

If the block is a good fit, regular old epoxy is a great choice. If it is not a good fit, the best option is to cut a block that is. After that, and if it is to be an opaque finish, Timbermate is a great wood filler that does not have the same issues that many other fillers have as far as shrinking, cracking, staining, etc.

• Like 1

The issue with fillers is that they have a different density and rate of seasonal movement to the wood around them. At best they might still show a marginal shadow underneath your finish, much the same as you see joint lines in multi-part bodies.

I've not used that specific filler myself, however I know only of good reports from people who know what they're doing using it. A couple of bad ones from people who didn't, but that's just typical of most things. :-D

Last fill I did, I used an old plastic card as a squeegee to mash it in. After sanding there were a couple of small voids which a second skim easily fixes, or simply flood the area with thin cyanoacrylate glue and sand back when dry. Would love to see photos of your progress!

• Like 1