First Build - The "Nozcaster"

Norris

Thanks.

Everything has had a coat of sanding sealer lacquer now (the fretboard looks nice with a bit of lacquer tone!). Now I've just got to keep applying more coats & knocking back with 600 grit... and also finish making the knobs. I'd also better order some kit for the final polishing.

I think that's about it for photo updates until the final reveal in a few week's time :D

12 hours ago, Prostheta said:

A few weeks....? :mellow:

I've got lots of lacquering & sanding back to do. Then I need to let the nitro cellulose cure for a bit. Then polish it. Then cut the nut slots, string it up & set it up. I reckon that will be a few weeks :)

I should have been a bit more meticulous with the grain filling and maybe done it 2 or 3 times - lesson for next time. There are areas that are going to take a bit of lacquer to get it as smooth as I want it

13 hours ago, Prostheta said:

That's pretty much what I thought, however I couldn't adequately relate disappointment or deflation, it seems.

Just to rub it in, I did a trial fit last night. It does look rather good, but I made a point of NOT taking any photos! :D

And this morning I managed to find the jack plate that had gone walkabout too! All parts are present & correct... and more importantly fit (except the tuner screw holes are not quite deep enough and the Kluson screws seem to be made out of butter!). I'm particularly pleased with the fit of the neck pickup plate in its recess, and the fact that you can just about remove it without taking the neck off - that was a bit more luck than judgement due to the extended fretboard!

I'll strip it all back down tonight and start knocking back the sanding sealer. I hope that two cans of lacquer will be enough - I might have to order some more

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

I do, however I love putting my foot down when the finish line is in sight. Not the best of habits....

I'm a bit guilty of that myself. And I always have mixed emotions.....I can't wait to get it finished and at the same time sad that it is all over.

SR

• Like 1

A tip to anyone following this thread. Take your time over the grain filling & do 2 or 3 passes. Make sure it's flat & smooth before you move on. It gets expensive grain filling with rattle cans of sanding sealer!

Needless to say I'm behind schedule and won't get all the lacquer on this week like I hoped. It did look good when I did a trial fit though

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks since I last updated. Quite a bit of real-life stuff has got in the way, but I'm still plugging away at it.

I'll re-iterate my previous post - take your time over the grain filling!

After many coats of sanding sealer lacquer and a really good sandback session, the ash back is about flat. There were a few remaining pores & low spots, so instead of throwing yet more & more lacquer on, I used a pipe cleaner bent in half as an ad-hoc spot filling brush. Using the dodgy can that has hardly any pressure left but plenty of lacquer (damn!) I sprayed lacquer into the cap and then dabbed it on the low spots to build them up. Once dry I then used a bit of wetted 600 grit wet & dry to knock them back down again. I'm also repeating that process around to fret markers.

Still not quite ready to apply the top coats yet, but getting much closer. I really must get the knobs finished, grain filled, dyed & lacquered or I'm going to have a knobless guitar

• Like 1

On 05/05/2017 at 2:53 PM, Mr Natural said:

your first build has blown away 90% of the first builds I have seen. cant wait to see it finished.

and thank you for the kind words above- but I am just a hack. 

and you need to put this in GOTM:thumb:

It's not ready yet - I'm still lacquering! Thank you for your kind words though :)

Anyway, I've hopefully applied the final coat of gloss on the body. I assume that four good "flow" coats over well prepared sanding sealer will be enough? Edit: I hope so, as the last coat was for once free of dust bunnies!

The neck still needs a little more work to get the dot markers nicely blended. Hopefully I've done the last "spot fill" on them and should be able to get the rest of the lacquer on this week. That then leaves the knobs to finish off, and of course the soon-to-be-revealed second build...

Edited by Norris

3 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I AM going to see this on Saturday, aren't I?

No, let me put that another way.  

I AM going to see this on Saturday, aren't I !

You'll see it but won't be able to touch it :D. Well maybe if you're careful...

I had a word with my guru/instructor last night and he reckons I need to slap a bit more lacquer on to avoid any potential burn-through when polishing. So the body will get another couple of coats tonight. I hope to get the neck "sanding sealer complete" by the weekend, even if it has no top coat.

However, Mrs Norris is making serious DIY-type noises at me. I'm going to have to get a paint brush out soon, which means less guitar building time. I'm hoping to hold her off until the guitar is finished

• Like 1