First Build - The "Nozcaster"

Norris

That was my fault. For whatever reason, I clicked "Edit" instead of "Quote" and spent ten minutes trying to restore your original post. :blush

Ha! I did wonder how I'd managed to cock it up. I'm sure it was correct when I posted it :)

... and probably explains why I couldn't edit my original post

Edited by Norris

Incidentally, where did you source your Ash from? If it was a good price I might be tempted to spring for some myself to do more site project work with. Ash ("Saarni" here) seems difficult to find in Finland, plus most suppliers of blanks charge far too much for what you buy when you have the ability to joint and thickness yourself.

Incidentally, where did you source your Ash from? If it was a good price I might be tempted to spring for some myself to do more site project work with. Ash ("Saarni" here) seems difficult to find in Finland, plus most suppliers of blanks charge far too much for what you buy when you have the ability to joint and thickness yourself.

It was supplied by the chap who runs the guitar building classes. He's a luthier by trade, so buys a lot of wood and passes on his trade discounts to his "students". The ash is apparently English Light Ash, the same species as US swamp ash - so I'm told. I don't have individual prices for the wood, but the whole lot cost me around £130 (ash back, book-matched flamed maple top, maple neck blank & maple fretboard blank), which incidentally is about the same price as the brand new tobacco-burst Squier Affinity Strat I bought for my son a few weeks ago!

Very nice! Well, I'm going to need to start making more and more projects "happen" and Alder gets a little boring after a while. I guess since I am aiming to be factual and education rather than producing simple eye candy I should be good. I bet shipping from the UK is a bear.

I had a couple of days of holiday this week, so in between household DIY, visiting family (big month for birthdays) and cooking, I managed to get a bit of work done on the guitar.

I flush trimmed the back piece with the router - luckily avoiding any tear-outs and minimal scorching. Then I spent a couple of hours on the fine grit sanding table. It's starting to get smooth on the back, and is close enough for the time being
20151018_165145_zpslviv1np5.thumb.jpg.cd24b191264c92cb065c464a32e2c1e8.jpg20151018_165208_zpsjicrbeln.thumb.jpg.b98a78610d076212d09c0971ef400094.jpg

I broke my first template for the inner chambers - the jigsaw is now well out of the way on a shelf, it will not go near the guitar again! Then I made another template in 6mm MDF & used it to route a larger piece of 15mm MDF with plenty of overhang to support the router when I route the chambers.

I asked my father-in-law if he had a pillar drill. Yes he has, but also has a spare one (honestly, who has a spare pillar drill?!). Anyway it's now on long term loan! (Mwahh-ha-ha he'll never see it again! :))

So then on to removing a lot of the material to save my router bit
20151020_172531_zpsqyf1ous7.thumb.jpg.908e32c6c408aa6963607858cade44a0.jpg20151020_180232_zpspvp6xhtr.thumb.jpg.1272d1732db61a8ce386bb1d7c3cf282.jpg20151020_193338_zpsmbfjselq.thumb.jpg.ab7fcaf856c19e0460db2f4afb2fb903.jpg

It's a lot lighter already, but looks like the bees have just moved out :). Hopefully in the next couple of days I'll get the router on it & get back to work on the top piece, which still needs a lot of flattening off.

Edited by Norris

Old is a clue, plus the blade type. I'll save this for the article, and hopefully I'll be reviewing a Festool and a cheap-ass jigsaw with a bunch of tests I've devised. It won't make your old Broken Dicker any better outside of a new blade, though it'll help get the most out of whatever the tool you have can manage.

A couple of weeks ago I scored a Stanley Bailey No 5 Jack plane on ebay. The owner had reconditioned it, which meant it wasn't attractive to collectors, but lovely and clean for my needs ... actually using it. It cost around £30 (approx $45 USD) delivered. Anyway this weekend I got out my sharpening set - double sided stone, small bottle of oil & idler wheel clamp thingy, and am rather pleased that I put a darned good edge on it. It's very satisfying taking an inch wide ribbon of wood across the full length of the board, that is so thin it's almost transparent, with no snags or vibrations - just smooth, clean planing. Yay for me! :D

Anyway, not much to update except that the back of my top piece is now very, very flat, especially after an hour or two on the sanding table, and is now ready for rough cutting into shape. I'll get that done on the bandsaw at class tonight. I then need to get the top chamber smoothed, dyed & laquered before I join the two pieces. I might also get a bit of a move on with the neck, which is still at the template stage..

• Like 1

Great find! A plane that is able to be tuned into good working condition is a joy. I find that on a lot of planes, the mouth is just too large or the frog isn't very flat and has seating issues. Taking any metal off the sole always opens up the mouth as does fettling the frog! That said, those issues are nothing compared to not being able to get a razor edge on the iron. Sounds to me like yours is working a treat.

FWIW, if you have some Autosol handy then get honing/polishing up your edge. Whenever I sharpen chisels or irons, I see whether they'll shave the hairs off my forearm. If they don't cut with zero resistance, they need more work. The problem with that test is when you get lax and let the corner take a bite out of your skin....!

So, am I right in thinking that you are now well and truly riddled with build fever then? You'll be pricing up a jointer plane next, however I think a block or apron plane have more uses (cough).

I think the combination of my Jack plane & my sanding table will be sufficient for now. Any larger plane and I might get some balancing issues on my workmate :). I really must get the garage cleaned out & get my (home-made) workbench in the middle of the room. I'm sure it would be a lot easier working then.

Anyway, not really worth pictures, but hey - it's my first guitar and I'm having fun. I got the top piece rough cut last night and it's starting to look decidedly like a guitar.

20151103_075334_zpsytw1ifyu.thumb.jpg.a454ae7ddfd37ef9d8f274d1c9d115df.jpg

20151103_075421_zpsyqrxejfg.thumb.jpg.081bae35eaf1f00624791405ff540f43.jpg

I also got the neck blank squared up ready to rout the truss rod channel and cut a 6mm strip for the fillet.

This week's jobs are to order some pickups & prepare the top chamber ready for dyeing. I've now also got some maple offcuts for some dyeing/finishing tests. I've decided to go with a set of Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster pickups - they are fairly reasonably priced and get some great reviews.

Edited by Norris

"but hey - it's my first guitar and I'm having fun. I got the top piece rough cut last night and it's starting to look decidedly like a guitar."

Nothing like the project beginning to look like a guitar to increase the excitement! It doesn't really look like a first guitar though. It looks like several past that. Very nice progress.

SR

It doesn't really look like a first guitar though. It looks like several past that. Very nice progress.

SR

Thank you very much for your kind words. I'm taking my time and trying to do a decent job of it. I've got a lot to live up to given the standard of the builders here on PG, and am taking inspiration and learning a huge amount from every build update and finished guitar.

• Like 1