Let's give this another try

19 minutes ago, aidlook said:

Nothing is more zen than a full-length shaving with the smoothing plane... I also find that snow-capped mountains and fjords help set the mood.

Progress-43.jpg

I would disagree in saying that having daylight helps readjust one's mood. :thumb:

First blue sky and warm day of spring here. Great day for going out stickwalking. I bet there are some fantastic trails around your parts eh?

• Like 2

Absolutely fantastic trails around the Sunnmøre region of Norway Prostheta

Some progress over the weekend -time to thickness the headstock:

Progress-47.jpg

Moving on to the issue of cutting the truss rod slot without a router. A plough plane would've been ideal for this, unfortunately I don't own one. I figured a router plane would be well-suited for the job as well, but the gap between the fence and the blade was much to narrow. Onwards with an ad-hoc solution:

Progress-49.jpgThis is not how you're supposed to set up a router plane (blade turned 90 degrees, no place for shavings to go).

Progress-48.jpg

Using a spirit level as a fence for the body of the router plane to ride on. I would not recommend this method, however, the results we fine:

Progress-51.jpg

Progress-53.jpg

• Like 1

Oh wow, you're right over there. That's a spectacular part of the world, even if it does feel like the cold edge of the world with only the Shetlands as neighbours....are you no longer living in Sweden?

Nice re-use of the router plane. I think that in spite of there not being a lot of escapement for the waste, it being a slow manageable tool makes it fine. Seeing that method makes we curious as to whether there is a valid reason for making a similar router plane setup for cutting curved channels. Any excuse not to have a 90dB router next to one's head is a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2016 at 8:34 AM, Prostheta said:

Oh wow, you're right over there. That's a spectacular part of the world, even if it does feel like the cold edge of the world with only the Shetlands as neighbours....are you no longer living in Sweden?

Nice re-use of the router plane. I think that in spite of there not being a lot of escapement for the waste, it being a slow manageable tool makes it fine. Seeing that method makes we curious as to whether there is a valid reason for making a similar router plane setup for cutting curved channels. Any excuse not to have a 90dB router next to one's head is a good one.

I think the geometry of the cutter might be a bit restrictive for cutting curved channels (I suspect the minimum possible radius decreases the deeper you want to cut the channel).

Quick update on the build... made some chocolate shavings!

Progress-56.jpg

Cutting the neck taper using a hand plane (favourite method so far):

Progress-58.jpg

Ready for gluing:

Progress-57.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, having not done this for a while, I made a mistake when calculating the taper for the neck. My trigonometry was fine, only problem is that I've cut the neck taper to match a taper between the string spacing at the bridge, and the neck width at the nut. No problem -this mistake will be hidden (along with some fret tangs) using rosewood binding strips. Board has been recut into correct taper, but a few mm narrower:Progress-60.jpg

Made a quick jig for gluing up the binding, using wedges to att pressure:

Progress-61.jpg

Binding scraped flush:

Progress-62.jpg

Finished result:

Progress-63.jpg

Back to making the neck... Truss rod being glued in using epoxy:

Progress-64.jpg

With the fretboard glued on, the neckshape was roughed out with the frame saw & pull saw:

Progress-65.jpg

Progress-66.jpgProgress-67.jpg

Planing sides square and flush with fretboard:

Progress-68.jpg

Removing excess headstock material with chisel:

Progress-70.jpgProgress-71.jpg

Roughing out neck profile at both ends before spokeshaving:

Progress-72.jpg

Progress-69.jpg

Agh, I think we've all been there and made that mistake in some form or another....! Still, it's a great excuse to have some blind fret slots....

It's uncharacteristic of you to make an error like that. Has 24hr sunshine been depriving you of sleep? :D I woke up this morning and saw daylight under the blackout blind and noticed that it was still 2AM. Needless to say, I feel awkwardly sleepy....

3 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Oh man, I didn't realise that. It must have been heartbreaking. Believe me, you won't be the only one upset by one of your stellar builds going south, man. I hope it didn't deter or knock you off your game.

Not at all, just too warm to build here and busy with other things. Regarding to the mistake, it was just a couple of mm, but in that area, that's too much. I minimized the issue a lil bit just replacing the bridge, but it was not enough. 

It's that kind of mistake you never want to make again, and for sure I won't. Live and learn. :)

On 6/28/2016 at 4:29 PM, Prostheta said:

Agh, I think we've all been there and made that mistake in some form or another....! Still, it's a great excuse to have some blind fret slots....

It's uncharacteristic of you to make an error like that. Has 24hr sunshine been depriving you of sleep? :D I woke up this morning and saw daylight under the blackout blind and noticed that it was still 2AM. Needless to say, I feel awkwardly sleepy....

Having grown up in Scandinavia, I'm surprised that the 24h sunlight still surprises me every year. Maybe it's the ability to work in natural light at midnight that's causing the mistakes...

On 6/28/2016 at 6:05 PM, ScottR said:

Man, I really enjoy watching hand tools skillfully used with the precision you employ. You must be getting a lot of satisfaction out of that.

SR

Thank you, not sure how skilfully they're used though, seeing as it's my first try with most tools (all practice has been virtual -watching Paul Seller's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3EpWncNq5QL0QhwUNQb7w). Satisfaction level is very high however.

• 1 month later...

Ok, overdue for an update.

Drilled the tuner holes using a jig:

Progress-74.jpgProgress-75.jpg

The results were satisfying, putting some black sperzels on this one:

Progress-76.jpg

Progress-78.jpg

Started cutting the neck pocket with a chisel and router plane:Progress-79.jpgProgress-81.jpgProgress-80.jpg

Trying neck in the slot to ensure a snug fit:

Progress-82.jpg

The pocket has now been cut to full depth, but no pictures taken yet (it's a good fit).

Edited by aidlook
  • Like 3

Getting progressively more competent and confident with using hand tools, I am also getting exponentially appreciative when I see them used expertly like this. :)

It's also confirmed my suspicion that I skimped on my router plane.  I got the Veritas mini router plane and presently (surprisingly for Veritas) it is almost unusable - I can just about live with the very basic way you adjust it, but the blade swivels as you use it, regardless of how tight it is clamped.  There is a basic design flaw that might need a grinding disc taking to it!

Could you concoct a review of the tool Andy? That would be genuinely useful for many people in light of the product issues you've noted. That Lie-Nielsen router plane is just pure wrongness in the best of ways. I love it. I don't even know if I could bring myself to replace the knobs with Karelian Birch....although I probably would....!