Neck shape template measurements doubt

scorpionscar

Hi, I'm designing some measurement tools and now I'm with the shape of the neck templates.I enclose a CAD drawing about it and be grateful if you take me a piece of advise cause I have some doudts with te measuremts expecially in the zone where de truss rod goes because I'm not sure if the wood will resist with those 4.12mm and 5.12mm thickness between the end of the rod and the end of the wood of the neck.Thanks in advance.

Scorpionscar

P.S If someone wants the plans I have no problem to share them

plantillas guitarra2.jpg

Edited by scorpionscar
  • Like 2

It's probably fine.  I've made necks that probably had similar amounts of meat behind the trussrod and they've been perfectly OK.

I assume you're using the Stewmac Hotrod - is there a particular reason you're using this over the lower-profile ones similar to Allparts or Allied Lutherie?  If you're worried about it you could always use a thinner trussrod to maximise the amount of timber in the neck.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm sorry I had some troubles in order to reply your coments here, I think there was some problems with the web.Fisrt of all thank you very much for your answers.I usually use Stewmac truss rod but I'll try to buy another types.I built and Explorer and used this neck templates and have no troubles with thoses 4.12 mm of meat below the truss rod.Yesterday at night I was re-reading Martin Koch' book and he says that It must be al least 3 mm of wood in that zone.The result is an extremely ergonomic and thin neck that works fine for me.

In this template I want to add some different profile combination in one jig.There is a company four km near from my home of laser cut.For the price of 18€ they cut me the pieces I need.I submitted the drawings cause I don't know what is best, if cut the template like the left one (blue, wich covers the size from the botton of the neck to the zone where the neck meets the fingerboard) or the right one (magenta color with covers all the profile, fingerboard included) as you can see in the picture.

I would like to point out that I have no problem to share the .dwg file if someone is interested in.

Scorpionscar

No worries. The site has had a few issues over the weekend after a very urgent software upgrade.

Sure, sounds good. I think having a set of profile templates in our Downloads section would be of great use in DXF and PDF format. Not everybody can get things cut on a laser so common profiles would be useful to have in the library.