Deviser Factory Tour Video - Neck jigs and shaping

a2k

Deviser is a Japanese manufacturer that makes guitars, basses, and mandolins under several different brands across every price point (Bacchus, STR, Momose, and many others). Not sure how available they are outside of Asia. I've played several of their high-end basses and they are fantastic. Check out some photos of the #300 serial STR bass

Anyway, I came across a factory tour video on YouTube and saw a few interesting things. Specifically, they've got some sort of neck shaping jig that seems pretty intriguing. Not sure if this is standard factory stuff, but I'm curious about it. Anybody know the details of this type of setup? 

Here are the points in the video I'm curious about:

• 2:30 - Installing the neck profile jig
  • 7:28 - Neck shaping with the jig
  • 10:30 - Crazy neck belt sander (not really related to the jig, but fun)

And here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wissbDVfJZ8

Edited by a2k
Tried to embed video... didn't work.

I think it's an HTTPS thing why it won't embed. Not sure.

But yeah, I watched tons of their videos a few years back! Amazing factory and some excellent solutions for repeatability, reliability and quality. The crazy belt sander you're referring to is called a "stroke sander". There's one at the school I studied at. Deviser also use that or a similar machine to do their radiusing; the caul runs over the top and belt tension bends the surface into a perfect radius. They also use that and the sliding table to refine the carves on top of instruments with a handheld caul which likely has what I think is Teflon paper underneath.

Like I always say, I've always liked the standard of work coming out of Japanese factories. The attention to detail and general fastidiousness seems an intrinsic part of cultural identity.

Quick story - but did you know that the Japanese Caparison factory was originally a Jackson factory? Jackson opened up a factory in Japan to produce a more affordable alternative to their USA models, however it turned out that the Japanese factory were producing instruments superior to their USA equivalents; they soon shuttered the production instead of shooting themselves in the foot, but it re-opened as Caparison. I used to own a Japanese-made Rhoads Professional, and I have to agree that it pissed on the USA Jacksons of that period.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2015, 12:33:41, Prostheta said:

Quick story - but did you know that the Japanese Caparison factory was originally a Jackson factory? Jackson opened up a factory in Japan to produce a more affordable alternative to their USA models, however it turned out that the Japanese factory were producing instruments superior to their USA equivalents; they soon shuttered the production instead of shooting themselves in the foot, but it re-opened as Caparison. I used to own a Japanese-made Rhoads Professional, and I have to agree that it pissed on the USA Jacksons of that period.

You are right about this, those are the import series of Jackson/Charvel.

I have at home a beautiful black Charvel Model 4 and it plays like hell.