Stratocaster, of the walnut kind

You should do really, yes. The most fundamental part of any build is establishing your working planes and reference points. I mean, you could probably get away with it but the results will always be unpredictable from case to case. If you're comfortable and experienced enough to break a rule for whatever reason, then go for it.

Thing is, planing after cutting cavities could leave the planer blowing out wood around their perimeters. That's my primary concern beyond whether you can cut them reliably now, which you probably could....for whatever reason.

Slow builds are generally the most controlled. No problem there.

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Thing is, planing after cutting cavities could leave the planer blowing out wood around their perimeters. That's my primary concern beyond whether you can cut them reliably now, which you probably could....for whatever reason.

The first part was definitely on my mind, thought I could easily compensate for. This ^^^ second part I wasn't thinking about.

I think we're just having "one of those weeks". I noted that the images are in the correct proportions in your album. I'm wondering whether there is some caching issue with Google Images or whether it's our software. I'm looking into it, so thanks for exposing this loophole in our caching :-) I'd rather have it be working 100% whilst we're quiet instead of it throwing its toys out of the pram when we're not so quiet....!