Guitar Of The Month - January 2016

Welcome to the first Guitar Of The Month contest of 2016!

ProjectGuitar.com's Guitar Of The Month contest is a showcase for members to exhibit their creations and to vote on their favourites. The contest is open entry for any and all members. Winner(s) receive a featured article at the head of the ProjectGuitar.com homepage, a photo posting to our Facebook and elevated member status. ProjectGuitar.com receives thousands of unique visitors monthly; Guitar Of The Month is a great way to showcase your creation to the world!

Submissions are open throughout the month until about the last week when public voting opens. Polls close on the 1st of each month.

Lastly, if you didn't win a previous month's Guitar Of The Month contest, you are encouraged to enter your build again the next month for a maximum of three consecutive months. Sometimes one entry just hits it out of the park!

Tips and Guidelines

• Upload a maximum of eight photos for the instrument in your post
  • Ensure that your guitar has a name otherwise we'll make one up ;-)
  • List additional descriptive information specific to the build; for example....
    • The woods and materials used, especially if there is something unusual in there!
    • Scale length(s) and other specific configuration details
    • Electronics, pickups, etc.
    • Is this your first build, fifth or five-hundredth?
    • A bit of information on your own background as a builder helps give context to your build.
    • Was it built in the garage, at school, work or in your own shop?
    • A summary of the build's history. Was it built for yourself, friend/family or a client? Did you design the instrument and its specifications or was it built to spec?
    • What were the inspirations behind the instrument and why were various build aspects chosen?
    • Any background on what makes it special?
  • Posting a link to your guitar-building website, Photobucket, Facebook, etc. is fine, even if it is your business. In the spirit of fairness we encourage instruments made by professional builders to have that disclosure made so there is a more even balance between weekend warriors and grizzled veterans.
  • If you documented your build in the forums, post a link to the thread! Instruments with a build thread shared tend to attract more votes from the general community.

Unsure what to write? Have a look around the entry archives for suggestions.

If you have any questions about the contest, either PM me or ask forum members; we're a helpful bunch!

This thread is exclusively for entry posts only - any post that is not an entry will be deleted. We love to hear your discussions and opinions on the month's entries whilst the polls are open. Alternatively, head over to that instrument's build thread if one has been made in the entry post.

Good luck to all entrants!

:crowdwaits:

My name is Mike Pegg, and Im a builder from Munford, Alabama. I started a year ago building seriously, but have been piddling with guitars since 1984. This will be my first ever submission to the contest, or any forum on here, but am excited just for the feedback, if nothing else.

The guitar Im submitting is called the "Walnutcaster". It is a walnut/cedar build, with a 25 1/2 scale mahogany 24 fret neck. Headstock is mahogany, and walnut, with zipper biding, and a walnut truss cover, with a true roller nut. The elctronics are custom wound 16k bridge Humbucker, and a 10k neck humbucker, both covered in walnut, with walnut bezels. It is a 3 way switch, with a push/pull volume to split either humbucker to singles, or combine the two for two singles. The bridge is a gotoh, and the tuners are sperzel lockers Hand made knobs from cedar, and the swith button is also cedar.. It also has anodized strap locks. The coat is a rough brushed Poly, then recovered with an additional 4 coats, but I like my grain to show, and not look like boutique guitars. This is my 25th ish build from scratch. I do purchase neck blanks however, and do my own headstocks. 

I'm an electrician by trade, but have built furniture for years. I became inspired to start building guitars out of need more than anything else though. I became very disappointed in factory guitars over the years, and wanted customs that I couldnt afford... thus became the desire to build my own. It started with a custom Jem, because I always wanted that famous Steve Vai model that I couldnt come off of $2000.00 for. Please leave comments, and I hope to enter again, and if nothing else, show some of my work that is on my face book pages. https://www.facebook.com/mpegg1  & https://www.facebook.com/MikePeggMusic

568f061a51452_IMG_20151113_1532484751.th568f0740ccbe5_IMG_20160107_1819368061.th568f07f25d3ac_IMG_20160107_1820285811.th568f089903a84_IMG_20160107_1821108091.th568f096b15284_IMG_20160107_1820548311.th568f0a4a5b2ec_IMG_20160107_1821033511.th568f0b330b180_IMG_20160107_1819563121.th

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I will post my first build, for fun :)  It's name is Ruin

Specs

Neck
◦ 25" scale length
◦ Macassar ebony fretboard with Zebrano Dots
◦ India Rosewood neck 
◦ Brass nut
◦ stainless steel frets

Body
◦ Sold Zebrano
◦ Rosewood knobs
◦ water dyes and Tru oil

Hardware/Electronics
◦ Seymour Duncan Livewire pickups
◦ Babicz full contact bridge

◦ 2 Volumes / 1 Tone Expander / 1 5 way Booster/Distortion
◦ 9 or 18 volts

P1050151.JPG

P1050155.JPG

P1050157.JPG

• Like 1

Hello All, I'll call this one The Tomato. I like tomatoes. I've built around 30 guitars in my little home shop, but this is my first multi-scale project. I've been wanting to make one for a while, so I built this one as an learning experiment. 

The body is poplar. It features a one piece hard maple neck with walnut fillet, jumbo fretwire, and abalone dots. The scale is 25.5 / 24.7  I went with a retro-vibe because I haven't seen many done that way, and this being my first, I wanted to keep it simple.

The bridge is a top loading six saddle strat style hardtail. I swapped out screws , and springs to achieve the needed compensation.

I built the over wound F spaced AlNiCo V double slug humbucker specifically for this guitar. I used 500k Alpha pots with a poly capacitor.

I'm a pro woodworker by trade, and I began making guitars about ten years ago. I was inspired to make this one by curiosity. I had never even seen a multi-scale in person, so I had to build a guitar just to get my hands on one. 

It's a simple little guitar that was really inexpensive to put together, but I'm thoroughly pleased with my results, and I plan on doing more like this.

tomato 01.jpg

tomato 02.jpg

tomato 03.jpg

tomato 04.jpg

tomato 05.jpg

tomato 06.jpg

tomato 07.jpg

tomato 08.jpg

Edited by Original
  • Like 2

To date my favorite guitar I've built was "Justin's Guitar" that I built for my son. He wanted a Les Paul body shape with my own headstock and carves and he wanted a set of Klein Epic Broadcaster pickups in it. That led to what has been dubbed a Les Tele-ish guitar build, that I just loved........but it lives a 1000 miles away. So I had to make me one.:)

Lester T.

Body--chambered Sapele

Top-- Quilted maple

Neck--Sapele-Macassar Ebony-Sapele

Headstock cap--Gaboon Ebony

Frets--Jumbo SS

Tuners--Gotoh 510 Delta 21:1

Bridge-- Gotoh Tele

Bridge Pickup-- Klein Fatman tele bridge

Neck-- Klein Epic Series 1957 P-90 neck

SR

• Like 2

Wicked Thorn

I just call her Wicked haha!

The Woods are:

Body ; Walnut

Top; Parota

Neck; Cedar

Neck adornments; Jabin

Fretboard; Granadillo

Scale length 25”

Electronics & Pickups; Seymour Duncan Distortion & Seymour 59, Pot CTS, Jack Switchcraft.

This is a special build for me because it is Nancys’(my wife) first build. She and I have a small guitar shop and I used to be the only one making guitars while she helped me with some setups. She decided to make one by herself and all I did was draw the diagram, she did everything else. I wish my first one would have been half as good!

All the shop had made up till then were copies so we decided to make it an original, lots of beer, drawing and Rock N Roll were our inspiration.

The Woods are:

Body ; Walnut

Top; Parota

Neck; Cedar

Neck adornments; Jabin

Fretboard; Granadillo

Scale length 25”

Electronics & Pickups; Seymour Duncan Distortion & Seymour 59, Pot CTS, Jack Switchcraft.

This is a special build for me because it is Nancys’(my wife) first build. She and I have a small guitar shop and I used to be the only one making guitars while she helped me with some setups. She decided to make one by herself and all I did was draw the diagram, she did everything else. I wish my first one would have been half as good!

All the shop had made up till then were copies so we decided to make it an original, lots of beer, drawing and Rock N Roll were our inspiration.

The Woods are:

Body ; Walnut

Top; Parota

Neck; Cedar

Neck adornments; Jabin

Fretboard; Granadillo

Scale length 25”

-Raxz

image_62.jpeg

image_63.jpeg

image_61.jpeg

image_64.jpeg

image_66.jpeg

image_65.jpeg

image_60.jpeg

image_59.jpeg