Upcoming build - Red Specially perhaps?

komodo

I believe you are correct that he got the original Burns winding tools and that it is an air coil.

If I knew they were going to suspend sales, I wouldv'e bought a couple sets, plus some of the Fenton Weil pickups.

• 1 year later...

Dunno if this is the greatest plan, but I have this sweet string retainer and thought I could fab up a steel block and mount it on top. Sort of customized RS trem. This is the raw, just after welding and rough grinding. Prob is the strings are wider, so will have to be offset from the spring/bolts. I’ll try to get a better picture of what I mean.

94E8C241-A3C1-406C-B572-9F9FA7D8B84A.jpeg

B395AD89-93F7-4801-82D3-2FC63D0DD451.jpeg

0C8692C3-59C8-444E-A2D4-9E29AA800FE0.jpeg

Well, it's what I've been planning on doing with the Red Special Firebird build....that is, unless I can afford a BMG conversion kit from G&W. It'll be the prototype used to present the idea of a Firebird build whereas the build itself will be a straight FB with the differences outlined.

Fabbing RS bridges is quite a task. I'll be keeping an eye on this developing.

• 6 months later...

Carl - I hope you haven't been sitting here holding your breath the whole time. 

I'm firing up the engines on this again, looking at every option for the Trisonics. It won't be a RS, but it's going to have it's heart.

• Like 1

Does yours have the bolt retainer plate with the knife edge built onto it?

My main reservations for this system, are having the knife edge plate inside the guitar and to accessible. If the screws come lose or wood shrinks or whatever, it could rattle. Also, I wonder about the hardness of the knife edge and how I can manufacture something suitable.

The block I've made is steel but not stainless.