Knightro Guitars 2016

I suspect that the citrus oils might be to lower the surface tension or simply to provide scent; the beeswax is certainly in there are a stabiliser and to guarantee a shelf life. Carnauba is a silly hard wax, so it makes sense to make it thinner and more penetrative. Food safe. Hmm. It's a challenge to pick apart what could be in that. It's quite likely you could make your own if you had the inclination. I've considered buying some locally-made beeswax and making blends for leather, so perhaps a wood finish would be interesting. It's likely that turners would have a better idea of the contents....they're sage people....

Thanks Andy!

Carl- I'm definitely interested in learning more about the composition of this stuff and similar products. I think it'd be fun to develop my own oil blend, even if it was just a one-off experiment. I know you're much more knowledgeable on finishing products than I, do you have any suggestions on some reading I could do?

By the way... the guitar is finished. I'll get some pics and sound clips tomorrow!

Alright, I've finally managed to take a moment and get some finished pictures. This past week has been insane- I've been preparing to move again, working, finalizing everything on this guitar, and getting ready for the event tonight. Phew! 

Anyway, all that said, here's the padauk Voyager MS6!

IMG_20160312_113416_zpsuqnoput2.jpg
IMG_20160312_113428_zpsgzzxpqld.jpg
IMG_20160312_113526_zps22k8ywlb.jpg
IMG_20160312_113609_zps1yo88rrh.jpg
IMG_20160312_113630_zpsnxv7rlcx.jpg
IMG_20160312_113644_zps11rg8hym.jpg
IMG_20160312_113845_zpscghvhkrf.jpg

And bonus: sound clips!

Edited by KnightroExpress
OK, fix number 8 or something.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KnightroExpress said:

@ScottR- Thank you! I'm pretty sure I fixed the video, by the way.

@Andyjr1515- Thanks Andy!  It was really hard to let this one go,... I really hope the new owner loves her.

I can see the second video just fine --Nice.

I cannot currently see the first video. As a mod though I can see the edit history and I can see it there and that was nice too!

I'm not sure why I can see it there and not in the live thread though.....Carl?

SR

On 3/14/2016 at 9:24 PM, ScottR said:

I can see the second video just fine --Nice.

I cannot currently see the first video. As a mod though I can see the edit history and I can see it there and that was nice too!

I'm not sure why I can see it there and not in the live thread though.....Carl?

SR

For some reason it seems to have broken again. I am sure that this is due to it having been set as private from YouTube end.

The first few seconds of the video play but then it stops for me. If I click through to YouTube, it works fine.

Nice sounding guitar! Looks like a fun event and I think it's ***freaking awesome*** of you to donate the beautiful guitar to charity. Everybody wins. 

Thanks! It was a fun evening, for sure. 

Pretty cool update- the guy that ended up buying the red guitar is having a custom display case made so he can display the guitar in his engineering firm office. Not only that, but he's going to donate the guitar back to the foundation for next year's event so someone else can bid to have it for a year and raise more money. The idea is to keep that going for as long as they can, he says.

To be honest, I'm lightly sad that this guitar has turned into more of a trophy than a player, but hey, it's all for a good cause. 

• Like 1