Walnut Stratocaster

So I bought a drill press partially to drill my tremolo holes...had to use my drill guide attachment :(IMG_20160507_170619.jpg

I employed some child labor on my last build, so made sure I got some on this build as well. Used BOTH children for that tummy cut!

IMG_20160507_174906.jpg

Getting there!!!

IMG_20160508_170846.jpg

IMG_20160508_170901.jpg

Edited by bassplr19
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On May 27, 2016 at 5:58 PM, SIMpleONe89 said:

I like how we plan for the next build while the current one is still in its infant stage. 

I've got 5 or 6 concurrent builds going on in my head at any given moment. Buying wood for one of these future potential builds is a new step for me, though.

• Like 1

I believe that it simply because we enjoy this and it inspires us. You try out a new technique, and then you extend that idea forward into other things you'd like to see or try. Yes, it does mean that most of us work beyond our means and 5-6 builds ahead....I'm one of the worst for it since I have far more potential builds "to do" than I have capacity to meet right now. I'm sure that applies to everyone of course....

38 minutes ago, a2k said:

I've got 5 or 6 concurrent builds going on in my head at any given moment. Buying wood for one of these future potential builds is a new step for me, though.

A great step to take though!

got myself some nice wood last weekend at a woodshop that was having an exibition. It was like being a 6yr old in a candy shop!

I managed to restrain myself a bit and only got the following:

• a tiger striped maple top for a cheapo Les Paul restauration project.
  • A great piece of birds-eye maple that will let me build my first 2 necks hopefully, together with another astonishing  birdseye maple piece that I can turn into two fretboards.

I try to do something new with every new project so I learn a few things with each guitar. This way I try to keep the learning curve manageable.

ongoing/planned projects:

• My current project, the zebracaster it's building a body, routing for body-mounted pickups and a Floyd,  and finishing with tru-oil.
  • on the les Paul project I'm using a cheap mahogany body which I'll route to thickness and then put on the maple top to do my first carved top and a cherry-brownish stained finish to bring out the maple figure. Also this will include my first neck inlay job.
  • Then after that, I'll try to make my own neck. Only have to think about a body shape to match it.
  • my 5yr old son would like to have a dinosaur guitar. Or a minion guitar. Or wait,  a dinosaur guitar...... ;-)
  • recently picked up an IBanez RG for $25,- which I'll give the monkey grip tutorial a try on

and as Prostheta says: thinking about future projects also inspires to make a great job of the current one!

good luck selecting!

Keeping wood on stock for any length of time is better than using it straight from the stockist too. Just ensure that you stack it so that it is flat and has airflow around it. Not against a radiator or in direct sunlight, the usual things.

The ironic thing about all of these "future potential builds" is that one of the things I love most about being in the shop is that it forces me to completely clear my head and focus solely on the single task at hand. I was working at the router table last week when a little voice in my head popped up and said "I wonder what time it is", but I had to remind myself that I cannot take my eyes off that spinning router bit even for a second to look at the clock. 

• Like 2

totally true @a2k that's one of the things I like most as I'm constantly pondering on work-related things. Working with the wood and tools, measuring etc really requires focus and clears up your head!

My personal favourite is marking up. Using good metrology tools, marking knives or a good mechanical pencil doing layouts is very centring. I think that's mostly down to how I premeditate my work in the initial designs, and then methodically taking that "to the wood" is a really sweet feeling of realising something from the virtual to the tangible.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, this has been sitting on my dryer for a LONG time; actually made some sizable progress this past weekend. I've been actually playing a ton of guitar and bass this past year and a half and haven't been interested in spending the time otherwise. Well, be off for some days this season, my fingers hurt and I watched some videos from Wyn Guitars and got inspired to do some sanding!

2018-01-01 19.19.37.jpg

2018-01-01 19.19.52.jpg