Walnut Stratocaster

The only thing I can guarantee to work is sanding them out and then re-oil the edges.

It may be possible to keep adding oil to the sides until the saturation level equalizes and all matches the drips. And it may be possible to wipe the edges clean with a strong solvent an re-apply the oil evenly.

I'd probably go with the sanding myself. You may find that sanding away the excess oil in the runs gets you there without having to go back to raw wood.

SR

Oils are always friendly to work with. I'd stick with 240 or 320 wet sanding with oil. If the drips are raised, either knock them back with paper (difficult, because areas surrounding the drips will take a hit also) or make a quick scraper using a knife blade to level them out. In general though, wet sanding with oil gets through most of the bumps you might encounter early on in setting up an oil finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds and plays better than I would've expected of my own handiwork! The pickups seem a little quiet and I seem to bump the volume knob a little when palm muting. I haven't played out of a powerful amp, but I haven't noticed any hum. Very happy, unlike the bass (fretless*) I made, I can see myself playing this one a lot.

*key factor here