Custom SG for me

With the Yamaha rebuild almost done, I can start on this old project! This is a guitar for me, I've always loved SG's, but I've wanted to add some twists of my own. I will probably make a classic one at some point, but current specs are:

2-part mahogany body

1 piece mahogany neck, no angle

ebony fboard

tortoise binding & pickguard

hotrod and 2 graphite stripes for tuning stability

veneered headstock from both sides, w some MOP inlays

smallish frets, 2mm wide

2 custom made hums

balance pot, 2 tones, 1 master volume

Hipshot Trilogy bridge, hence no neck angle

Finish is still not decided on, but definitely not 2k, it's tru oil, shellac or nitro...also red or mahogany brown???

I still have to check the fretboard for straightness, install the frets and dress them, sort out a few dings and scratches from 10+ years of storage and finish the shape of the neck.

24285060976_7b80df7268_b.jpgIMG_20160109_182919-001 by Goran P, on Flickr

Oh wow! I have an SG in the works which is a weird build for me. Not entirely from scratch, as it is parts from two different projects! A Les Paul neck blank and an EB-0 body. They work together, albeit with one fret's worth of neck movement....

Quite a severe bevel set you've got going on there....I think it makes the treble-side cutaway look a bit shallow? Glad you're going your own way with the design :-D

Sounds very interesting! Any pics to show?

The cutaways are supposed to be even, it must be the pic angle, but keep in mind I did this over 10 years ago, so I have to look it over and measure and double measure a lot of things, starting with scale :) I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be 25.5, to go along with the no neck angle and the Trilogy Strat replacement bridge, but I'm not sure.

Yep! Pretty vanilla stuff. There's a bit of a stain which I think the final colour should hide. The angle makes the shape look a bit odd, however it's SG-shaped for sure. The truss rod slot is slightly off-centre which is why I've not done any kind of feature on this build or prioritised it.

IMG_0965.thumb.JPG.57aa02403095171ab7e80IMG_0966.thumb.JPG.83519afa44976a20e878d

Very nice! Looking forward to see some progress on this!  What's the body thickness? I have some mahogany of really similar color in my stash that I've only made one neck out of so far, and I remember it as really light and resonant. I think that the stripe won't be that visible, probably not visible at all when you deduct the tenon area, pickups etc.

Is the neck 3 piece, can't say from the pic?

Btw, I'm repairing an acoustic for a guy who's brother is a demonstrator/salesperson/repairman in a company for old furniture restoration and one-off finishing of such products AND he plays guitar. He came along yesterday to my shop and the talk was very interesting - lots of practical knowledge on all types of finishes, plus I got invited to go see the works and get some samples and a set of dyes...nice :) They use and make scrapers all the time, so he offered to show me how they do it.

So my ideas on finishing this might change a lot in the near future.

Have you made any decisions on hardware?

I brought this body down from the 46mm (!!) it originally was down to a more SG-like thickness of 38mm. I'm still going to bring it down to around 35mm, however at this stage since it is being stored I hardly want to go anywhere near to the finished size. I can clean it up close to the time.

That stain is a bit of a flaw in the wood, however I agree that it is mostly meaningless once the rest of the cutting gets going. I'm still undecided whether to go for a single-pickup Jr style configuration or not. It's tempting because I have so much tenon going spare. I'd be happy to extend that waaaaay into the body, tradition be damned. The pickguard will hide that nicely.

I've been throwing around the idea of an aged nickel wraparound or perhaps a TOM/stoptail. The ABM 2504 and ABM 3020 would pair up nicely with an aged nickel cover on a Bareknuckle Riff Raff. I've a set of Kluson Deluxe tuners which should match the lot.

I use those a lot, even more after your advice some time ago to turn a hook that way! I always have at least three on the table. Usually, I turn the hook so that the index hole on the blade is in my left hand when working downward, that way I don't have to check which side is which.

With thickness going down, your stain in the wood should be perfectly fine! Nice hardware, I would still go with 2 pups for better sound range. How thick is the planned tenon? Could you still have at least a part of it's thickness going full length?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, a small update - squeezed a little time for the SG in the growing line for repairs (which is actually very nice!)

24487908959_fb3d3dba26_b.jpg002 by Goran P, on Flickr

Fretboard needed some more leveling, higher grits and some glue cleanup, ready for the frets now, I think tonight! I'll use PVA instead of my usual CA, and the fretboard will stay nice and clean after wiping it down with a wet rag. I'll use Sintoms, 2mm, smallish, I like them and I think they will also go nicer for playing with a slide.

I think I might make another set of black strap buttons, they might go well with black hardware and oil finish.

On a side note, I'm making a wraparound bridge in aluminum, just hand tools for now. It'll probably go on a LP Jr I have in the works (if I succeed, that is :))

24461921929_37bcb90ba4_b.jpg0017 by Goran P, on Flickr

24461921969_b8ae4600f9_b.jpg0016 by Goran P, on Flickr

Edited by gpcustomguitars

I keep it to the right most of the time, so that any electronics work is towards me on the bench, but it's also to the right when I'm cutting nut slots on the guitar. Just refitted a tele nut today like that, using a bone nut I made all the way from the butcher's. Good thing I have almost non-existing sense of smell :)

Thinking of it, it's to the left only for work done on the headstock, mainly because of the light source position.

BTW, what recipes do you guys use for preparing bone for the nuts? For my current batch I first made a good soup from it, and then boiled it for a while again, changing clean water a few times. Then it's washed with Fairy or something similar, and left in the sun for a few days. Seemed logical, but there must be more methods out there?

That SG looks a really nice canvas to do some great things with, @gpcustomguitars

On the one I built, I took the tenon one stage further :lol::

ZImEjB6l.jpg

Tarrraaahhh! 

yf21a6Al.jpg

By the way, I'm mightily impressed with your workspace.  And my wife is even more impressed with it's tidiness....along the lines of "Well, HE can keep his tidy, so why can't YOU??"

I'll be really interested how this build comes out :)

Great looking SG, Andyjr1515! The top looks great, maple? What was the finishing procedure?

I'll post another pic, stating the usual state of things on my desk :) that pic was taken right after I cleaned the table following a repair that involved some sanding, and I couldn't find my chamfering file, so I was forced to clear the table :) It's now back to my usual creative mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gpcustomguitars said:

I'll post another pic, stating the usual state of things on my desk :) that pic was taken right after I cleaned the table following a repair that involved some sanding, and I couldn't find my chamfering file, so I was forced to clear the table :) It's now back to my usual creative mess.

:lol:  Phew!

Thanks ref the SG.  Yes, it's a figured maple top.  I used red calligraphy ink on this one and then wiped-on standard polyurethane varnish, thinned down with c 30% mineral spirits (I've done a mini thread on this technique in the Inlays and Finishing section)

There's been some interesting debate and experiments manfully carried out by @Norris elsewhere in that section on the colour fastness of inks.  They do vary a lot, but I think calligraphy ink, meant to be still be able to be read 1000 years or so later  (think: Lindisfarne Gospels) is probably OK!    Certainly this one (built for a fellow band-member) and used in our band practice last night still looks the same as when I built it :D

5 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Just red ink and no darker sandback? Wow, that really makes more than a passing case for using inks then.

No - just did the normal ink, sand, ink.  I think I did that 3 times to darken the figuring.  The ink soaks in very easily into any end grain in the features so darkens very quickly in those areas.  Of course, for a more even colour all round, that can be a disadvantage because I can't think of any way to prevent the darkening.