Custom SG for me

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapping it up...I underestimated the thickness of the material, so I might have to redo one side of the speaker  board, hopefully it won't be a big issue. This amp has one odd feature - it has 2 separate channels, both with their own BMT and separate volumes and can be used both at once. That gives me a few ideas, most of which could fry it :)

34355114632_134c9109b4_b.jpgIMG_20170507_204708 by Goran P, on Flickr

On 5/7/2017 at 2:53 PM, gpcustomguitars said:

This amp has one odd feature - it has 2 separate channels, both with their own BMT and separate volumes and can be used both at once.

I've got one that allows you to do that with an A/B switch. You can sure get some wild harmonics and overtones.

SR

Great idea! I could put together a footswitch, with one channel always on, and the other optional, perhaps with a capacitor for cutting basses on a "treble channel", or a toggle for 2 value options. What I had in mind was to add high/low option to each of the channels. to be able to patch channels, or daisy chain it to another amp, but this is an solid state amp, so this should do.

It's done! Not a beast really, but a reasonably nice tone and volume. I'll make the pedal/switch thingie when I get some spare time. I will also test what a fet booster could add to it, and probably use it for testing stompboxes. Hope you like it!

34650869515_94cb38c37e_b.jpgIMG_20170514_114838 by Goran P, on Flickr

34520095421_7c3bafb9b5_b.jpgIMG_20170514_114847 by Goran P, on Flickr

• Like 3

Here is the speaker used by DNH Norway:

34669736965_1f4d2e2aac_z.jpgIMG_20170514_114932 by Goran P, on Flickr

One channel is kinda trebly and gainy when turned up, and the other has more bass.

Back to the guitar, the truss rod fit right in, the measurements were very precise (thanks again Curtisa!!!). I sawed a strip of maple for the "reverse" skunk stripe last night, full thickness of the adjusting nut, and proceeded with thinning the sides to 6mm. Not pictured, but almost done. I have to scrape it some more to fit and then glue it in. Then I can proceed with radiusing and fretting.

34669736365_73cdcdb0ae_z.jpgIMG_20170514_205458 by Goran P, on Flickr

The table cloth should be credited to my wife, she refused to leave the shop without it :)  It is nice, though.

The amp cab is made from some pieces of cupboards I had to modify a while back, which left me with a garage full of cutoffs, most of them pretty large, that I could not just throw away (....hello, my name is Goran and I'm a hamster...) and now I'm trying to use them all on projects.

Some small late night progress on the neck, pared off the excess maple, and added a piece of cherry to fill the heel. Next, I'll flood the fretboard as needed, try to accent the cracks, and radius it. Finally some progress....

34549730202_53db3e3ab1_z.jpgIMG_20170516_220105 by Goran P, on Flickr

34711397195_26e4ca11a0_z.jpgIMG_20170516_223549 by Goran P, on Flickr

• 4 months later...

Well, the name of the thread is Custom SG for me, so...I should finish it :blush

Tung oil worked very nice for the bass, so I would like to oil/wax the SG too. BUT - it needs pore filling. I could use waterbased filler, tinted, can't find pumice locally...I was cropping the pics and saw that I have a cup of coffee in quite a few of them - could I use ground coffee with oil to pore fill? It would give a nice contrast to the wood I think. Anyone tried this?

:D Thanks! I've seen turners fill the voids and imperfections with coffee and epoxy, but that's different. My thinking was - it's already oily, and in one grit, it should mix well with tung oil. I might try some other things with it though...

For this SG I'll probably just sand and oil to pack in the dust in the pores...

• 2 weeks later...