3 bass projects in work

I Have free time and lot of wood. I'm basically a bass player so I decided to make few different basses. I will post them in one thread.
They are:
1. 5str jazz bass 
2. 4str jazz bass
3. neckthrough 4str jazz bass

Let's start.
1. I never like a classic jazz bass design, so I decided to make my own modern looking 5str jazz bass
Ash body
Maple/wenge neck with wenge fingerboard, 34", 24 frets, dot markers, bolt-on
Gotoh hardware, Folin pickups Jazz Bass Set.
81bNSOk0aWU.jpg
7hzMniOIZeE.jpg
10ni0poItlE.jpg
NwzUgbP-msQ.jpg
JSEcJZc91Cc.jpg
7gTq-umimmw.jpg
shmuDLXEtY0.jpg
5Z1IP-IFJUM.jpg
jxQYqPxrvQY.jpg

• Like 3

Second bass
Maple body with sapele top
Sapele/wenge/maple neck with mexican rosewood fretboard, 4str, 24 frets, 34", bolt-on
Gotoh hardware, Fokin pickups 4str Jazz Bass set

Want to make natural color top. Sapele looks awesome, see no reasons to cover it with color.
ICJLvrESaDY.jpg
yf_ZshT3a-U.jpg
5f4UtsHL2lk.jpg
PZxQwKZBPAw.jpg
ViXp1h-zjCM.jpg
keoeP5c-JVs.jpg
5I2AKbaOeGU.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great to see some other basses in progress here. All three look great. Nice work.

Are you planning on using the same hardware and pickups on all three? If so it will be interesting to learn how the sound compares between the different woods and neck styles. 

These are looking great.

Now that you are a bit into the project, what do you think about doing three at once? Are you finding economies of scale? Is there one bass you prefer to work on or are you able to give all three equal attention?

I often thought I could have made two basses at almost the same rate as I made one because the prep and setup of a step often took more time than the step itself. But then I'd worry about losing the focus gained by single-tasking. 

• Like 1

I try to work with all basses, but there is one on last photos I have to build first. This is 4str jazz bass I made for customer. Other I do for free sale, so I have no time limits and work when I have free time. So sad that I spend more time for guitar repairs cause It's still main job, but hope to work only with guitar building in future

• 4 weeks later...

It's almost like we're competing for some kind of prize, or at least, trying not to cross the line first?

Sorry about derailing the thread a little @boroducci; you should know what we're like by now! :thumb:

I noticed the bottle of Titebond-II on the shelf; is that what you're using in your instruments too? I read some very good information comparing the properties of I, II and III (verified by a Franklin tech) and I is by far the most appropriate for what we do. II and III remain slightly elastic when dry, so they can creep more. This sounds about right since they are designed for use in damp or outdoor applications. Wood moves a lot more when water is involved, so a flexible join is less likely to fail in the circumstances. What's your opinion on this?