orange binding strip

Hi, @old_picker - I guess you're looking for an off-the-shelf solution rather than making it up from scratch? I'm not sure if this exists in binding form either. Orange is a crazy colour.

I think firstly, you need to know what material you're aiming to source. I presume ABS is the order of the day. It's commonly used by 3D printers as filament material so you'll likely find colours that way a lot easier. The alternative is to source sheet material and rip it yourself. That's going to be wasteful if you only need a few strips for binding.

I'm not sure if having the binding made up by a 3D printing house might be possible. It would require a larger bed size and certainly a lot of work to get it to conform to the end workpiece. That said, you can print the binding in the finished form, however it won't be as smooth as how we know binding stock to be.

Other alternatives are faux binding by tape masking and paint. Not the best. Another is the approach that Ernie Ball do with their "liquid" binding. They CNC in a binding slot to a blank, pour the "binding liquid" in (probably something like binding in acetone?) and then CNC the body with the binding in place. Alternatively, the binding shape can be routed into HDPE or other epoxy/solvent-resistant plastic and used to mould binding for applying to the body.

I guess it depends on how crazy you feel this week! Off the shelf would be nice, but that's a difficult item to find.

thanks for your thoughtful replies.  I've decided that the best approach is the simplest one here. I need to get spectrum orange around the edges of my young client's heavy metal guitar so I'll use 6mm pin striping. Either I'll apply it myself or hire a pin striping bloke to do the job. I would imagine that stuff will be pretty much at home under high VOC clear lacquer.

Be nice if I had the luxury of manufacturing a mechanical process to cast it in place or machine it out of 2.5 metre long x 1,220 wide sheet of ABS material. Even that is hard to come by in orange.

My only question is why doesnt he want red? :hyper

54 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Hey, he's a paying customer. You're allowed to tell him what he thinks he wants. Orange is not metal anyway. Black is metal. And easier to source. 

yer - the guitar is black - he's 18 years old and orange and black are very important maybe I should try and get him to go reverse orange guitar black binding.

hehe it looks orange on my monitor and the bloke who wants the project showed me on his phone where it looked orange as well - screens all aint the same - this guitar is advertised as having as have a red guard and inlay and you're right its red binding as well i'd say - unlikely to have orange binding and the rest of the trim red -

apols for this duff thread - well at least we know ya cant get orange binding next time you get asked for it

It is interesting. We have gotten so used to getting exactly what we want in the recent past that when we find something we can't get it is a bit of a surprise.

I contacted one of the China blokes with a big ebay store and miles of binding in all colours of the rainbow [in one strip] well not really but truckloads of the stuff. His reply was

"Very sorry this color not can get. Would send some red very quality binding.to you if make a bid."

I did have a look around online, and the closest I could find was a reel of 3mm 3D printer filament i.e. the 3D equivalent of a printer cartridge. Probably not thick enough for you, and only available in round section - but it was fluorescent orange.

I wonder if you could get one custom printed. However it's very unlikely that any 3D printer has a bed long enough, but you could carefully join several smaller lengths together with acetone. It wouldn't work out cheap though. (Kind of clutching at straws here!)

It would probably be a lot easier to use a faux binding - paint it on! :D

lets put this to rest with the epilogue to this story

I pitched the idea of using orange pin striping buried under the lacquer to the client which to me was a perfectly reasonable solution. I thought about various ways to make the biding. I finally  decided I wasn't  prepared to walk though fire, water and then jump through hoops to make orange binding at any price. He didn't like the idea of the pin striping so he trashed the project on that basis..

I must admit to being not too disappointed as it would have been a very  ugly beast if it had have been brought into the world.

I do get some blokes through here from time to time with some pretty [to me at least] mad ideas.

Sounds like the common disjunct of ideas and reality that clients can have. When they have no experience or idea of what goes into the sourcing and working processes, dummies get spat out and toys thrown from the cot. What can you do? Ultimately if the client is asking for something that is not reasonable then you need to fire them. Sounds like they did the work for you, however I hope they're mature enough not to go trashing your name and apparent inflexibility out of their immediate short-term frustrations.