First build: Zebra-caster

I've played it at one gig for a couple of songs ( as I play bass mainly, some songs on guitar ). Really like it as it's versatile with the push pull option to split the humbuckers. The neck came out more chunky than I anticipated, but I like the assymetric form and feel. 

but the greates thing is just to see it every time and think: I frickin' built that myself! 

That makes all the difference in the world if you work with the instrument. You take far more from building one and learning from it than you do copying. That chunky neck for example will give you different information on how you think or want to have a neck. Most of my 5-string basses have the same rear profile now, simply because I made so many that I refined my idea of what was right....so much so that I could class it as a "modern medium D". Thin enough to flatten across and stretch around but thick enough so it isn't in the rubber wonder category.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...