SG project - The T.N.T

By the way, that Triton oscillating spindle/belt sander was just sent as a replacement for the awful TSPS450 oscillating spindle sander. This is a magnitude worse. I'll review it before I return it. I truly hope that I am not stuck with this piece of shit.

Hadn't seen this before, and it is a subtlety. But, the low dots under the low strings and the high dots under the high strings . . I wouldn't think that's something that would resonate with me, but it really works here. The dots lead the eye asymmetrically to and through the pick guard. . . it just works smashingly.

Thanks man! I appreciate that. It came from an idea I tried with diamond inlays on my old Explorer build, and Nina chose the arrangement. No big sort of aesthetic story or intention behind it. Perhaps the choice was made unconsciously by seeing a balance, I don't know. I liked re-angling the diamonds into parallelograms in the tradional spot positions. This is just a variation on that theme. We played around with the idea of having the upper/lower "lines" angled to be a lighting bolt pattern but it looked worse than it sounds. It sort of plays out here, but not obviously.

exp7.jpg

**runs into the wheat fields screaming**

We've all been there. Some of us more than others. The reclusive guy doing a nursing degree in the first student house I lived in - Austen - made a batch of mindwiper that was just....ergh....but had lots of party built in, plus a smidge of stairs-sleeping.

I'm prepping to do a 15g batch of a Belgian in the next week or two. I don't name my beers (just number them), but I might call this one Stairs Sleeper. Oh, and I'm totally stealing the staggered dots for this next build, but it won't be an SG like I said earlier.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2017 at 3:26 PM, komodo said:

I'm prepping to do a 15g batch of a Belgian in the next week or two. I don't name my beers (just number them), but I might call this one Stairs Sleeper. Oh, and I'm totally stealing the staggered dots for this next build, but it won't be an SG like I said earlier.

sorry to hack your thread Carl- @komodo - props for brewing your own. Very cool. 

So- @Prostheta I cant quite tell from the pic above but it looks like you are coming close to finishing this? :crowdwaits:

what finish are you going with?

It's pretty close, yes. I need to bevel the pickguard, level off the tenon to the body and do a little finessing here and there. Nothing extravagant. Oh yes, and drill wiring channels. Then find where I lost those two bushings for the tuners....I may have vacuumed them up.... :unsure:

The finish will be a black grain fill with red alcohol-based stain from Tikkurila over the top:

https://www.tikkurila.com/industrial_coatings/products/dicco_color

I had a mix of DC22 and 720R made up, which are a strong red and a dark tobacco brown. On top of that will be a thin quick sealer of garnet shellac (the alcohol will try and pick the dye back up) and then a complete French polishing finish until I run out of summertime!

There's a very slight flat spot right in the crook of the heel which is bothering me; the profile and taper are perfect except for that sub-millimetre spot. Blending that in means the entire neck needs re-profiling. Absolutely kicking myself.

6 hours ago, Prostheta said:

There's a very slight flat spot right in the crook of the heel which is bothering me; the profile and taper are perfect except for that sub-millimetre spot. Blending that in means the entire neck needs re-profiling. Absolutely kicking myself.

But it means you get to do the best bit again :D

• Like 1