5-string Rickenbacker 4003-ish bass

Oh, I was thinking of an overall stain. Unsure whether I would want to do this to the top or not, but probably so.

Remember the broad basis for this build....? Staining with a straw/amber-coloured dye, sanding back, oiling and then French polishing is tempting. I would definitely like to so some pyrography Oak leaves.

7e063374652af3bd59b3c27e67fa3780.jpg

That is a cool look, but you want to do that on that sweet Karelian Birch top?

12 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Remember the broad basis for this build....?

Uuuuhhhhhh no, it's been since last year that you posted anything about it. I had forgotten pretty much everything about it till you brought it back up.:D

SR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Uuuuhhhhhh no, it's been since last year that you posted anything about it. I had forgotten pretty much everything about it till you brought it back up.:D

is that Carl's balls I hear being busted? 

Oh wait- who am I to talk- -I took 2 and a half years off. 

Looking forward to this Carl- I want/have been thinking of a Rick'y build one day, someday, too many unfinished projects started to finish first. 

• Like 1

Isn't that why we are all here?

Kick each other in the ass? Have a shoulder to cry on? Cheerleading? Bit of brandy and pipe smoking by the fireside as we ponder subtle curve adjustments or wood tonality? I've got at least two or three projects gestating, morphing into each other and back again, trying desperately to become the most important thing and be born. Too many other hobbies, life, etc get in the way, but eventually we all find our way back here and begin the beautiful toil once again.

• Like 3

One issue with this build from day one was that of pickups. It's simply impossible to find toaster-style covers good for a 5-er. The alternatives were other bass pickups, which I felt was a copout. So, how about sometime ridiculous instead?

It'd be a disgrace to not use something crazy like a DiMarzio X2N-7. :thumb:

57 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

One issue with this build from day one was that of pickups. It's simply impossible to find toaster-style covers good for a 5-er. The alternatives were other bass pickups, which I felt was a copout. So, how about sometime ridiculous instead?

It'd be a disgrace to not use something crazy like a DiMarzio X2N-7. :thumb:

http://classicamplification.net/pu/altp.html

Looks like RIC goes after anyone doing anything like that. Scroll to the bottom.

Yeah, they're notoriously litigious. I'm not bothered about any sort of C&D since this is primarily for personal use, doesn't feature the Rickenbacker name (hell, why would I?) and Finland isn't part of the US.

Interestingly, there's a precedent in Finnish law that ruled "Les Paul" being such a generic descriptor for a style of guitar that it is no longer a valid trademark through ubiquity or somesuch. That's the other extreme I guess.

Thing is, they're so bullying and litigious that people fear standing up to them even when there clearly are no grounds. Letters from their paid bulldogs are meaningless....unless it comes from a court, it's not worth the paper it's printed on.

Lemmy was pretty inconsistent with how his basses were configured, mostly because I doubt he gave a crap. If it was loud then it was good, mostly likely. Using a guitar pickup might be pretty amusing in spite of the coil voicing being different. This isn't going to be a walking bass line or slap n' pop instrument after all. Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud.

• Like 2

I recently had an Ebay auction pulled "for trademark violations" or breach of terms of service or whatever. After going through my account to figure out what listing it was ( it had been wiped from the face of the earth), I figured out it was a HAT.  Not just any hat, but one that used a hook and loop closure which everyone calls velcro. Well, Velcro found me and my ilicit activity and sent a cease and desist, and Ebay quickly complied. wtf

Sorry to get off track. I got to see Motorhead once. Wish I could remember who they were with. Memory isn't what it used to be.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 2:58 PM, Prostheta said:

This isn't going to be a walking bass line or slap n' pop instrument after all. 

@Prostheta that is a bummer of a comment. I was hoping you were going to bust out some Brothers Johnson on this bad boy when its done. 

Seriously though- Love the sound of Ricky's- it will be interesting to see how this sounds with (if I read correctly) you are going with 35" scale? Good call as I imagine that low B might be a bit muddy  with ricky scale. 

Digging the top on this- and with that binding- very well done. 

Thanks Natch! I'm trying not to be as Rick-a-like as some, and building a bass that possesses some aspects but comparatively few. If anything, channelling the Lemmy IDGAF a bit and putting in what is available, or the shortest route to getting on the road. If you dismiss Lemmy's signature and standard Ricks there's a wealth of crazy randomly modified basses in his history so doing the same and letting it take a path dictated by circumstance is probably the right thing to do. Screw Rick toasters. Big X2N 7-string pickups! I might even carve the Oak leaves if I can't pyro them in....

It's not my best binding work. The fine line was so fine that the acetone made it mushy in a couple of spots. You really need to have a light touch....but not too light....

No jokes intended here, but let's do a bit of a warts and all. Sorry about the quality of the photos. The alcohol was flashing off within seconds, so it was a real task.

The remainder of the neck was cut on the bandsaw, rasped back to ~1mm of the target line, then block sanded. Alcohol shows all of the problem areas (again, no joke intended):

IMG_8953.JPG

Slight high spot at the end of the neck:

IMG_8955.JPG

What looks like a low spot:

IMG_8954.JPG

Difficult to see here, however the top needs a little truing. If you run a nail across the joins, a bit of discontinuity in height can be felt. Only just though.....literally 240grits worth of adjustment.

IMG_8956.JPG

• Like 1

Hopefully. It'll probably drag a bit for a while as I need to buy that pickup and tuners. Got a set with mis-matched posts. Grr! I'm tempted to plump for a Q-Tuner 2.0 in here, but €200? Wow....that's super expensive. I think some kind of gold-framed pickup....